The circle is round: Police 'source' claims RFC fans blocked their response

" STEWART ROBERTSON has insisted Rangers’ response to the scenes following Saturday’s Cup Final defeat to Hibernian was wholly appropriate.

A number of Light Blues’ stars were attacked by Hibernian supporters who invaded the field of play following the final whistle, and Rangers have since released two statements to give their version of events.

Robertson told an exclusive RangersTV interview: “Firstly, let me say well done to Hibs for winning the Cup on Saturday. Their victory was deserved and to win the Cup for the first time in 114 years is obviously a big day in their history.

“So congratulations to them, but from our own perspective, those scenes on Saturday were horrendous. For our players and our staff to have to be placed in that situation in the National Stadium – being attacked in their place of work effectively – is just awful and shouldn’t happen to anyone in any shape or form. "

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/robertson-appropriate-response/?

A high up police officer will not want to burn his fingers on a statement like that without serious proof.

Unlike the record apparently. It amounts to libel if this is nothing but hearsay from invisible men and so far that's all it looks like. If there were thousands of people out there somebody must have evidence. It's the type of thing that would be on youtube in minutes. Cop cars being attacked? Potential viral video if it existed.

Unlike the record apparently. It amounts to libel if this is nothing but hearsay from invisible men and so far that's all it looks like. If there were thousands of people out there somebody must have evidence. It's the type of thing that would be on youtube in minutes. Cop cars being attacked? Potential viral video if it existed.

Steele is also not a "high up police officer". He is a union rep and nothing more.

He appears also to be a study in smugness, and disdain for others; a smart arse.

I'd be smug in his position. In what other field could you fail to gain promotion from constable but end up retiring on a chief inspectors pension ?

I'd be smug in his position. In what other field could you fail to gain promotion from constable but end up retiring on a chief inspectors pension ?

I think that I should be grateful for such a circumstance, frankly.

Edited by Uilleam

I see the rag that is The National had an article where they got expert opinion from a solicitor commenting on the Rangers statement. -

" “Apart from the defamation of BBC sportswriter Tom English and SFA vice-president Rod Petrie, the statement was a blatant attempt to influence Rangers supporters to take a very strong club view. That statement has just handed the guilty a real let-off. All any defence lawyer for a Hibs fan needs to do is say that his client cannot possibly get a fair trial because that is the official position of the club and this will have influenced potential jurors. Any sheriff who has ever supported Rangers will need to recuse himself or be accused of following the club line. The damage is done and it’s too late now. Whoever approved that statement has probably ensured that justice will never be done.” :laugh2:

" All any defence lawyer for a Hibs fan needs to do is say that his client cannot possibly get a fair trial because that is the official position of the club and this will have influenced potential jurors." ???

Really ? Does this "expert" solicitor think for one second that jury trials will be required for charges of OBAF, common assault or similar ? Really ? :flipa: