Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse...

Me neither, Uilleam. But I'm concerned at the turn things have taken. If we cannot trust the police to operate professionally we really are up the creek, and neither their actions on Saturday nor their (unofficial, granted) story of today give me any confidence in them whatsoever.

Certainly they've never been very friendly at the football but I understand that, they're not there to be our pals. But this is veering off into an 'us v them' scenario and frankly, it is scary.

I don't know what is worse, my friend, the police or the press, The latter, however, do contribute, in no small measure, to the context in which the police operate.

We cannot forget politics, and the politicians who gave us the OB Act. All of this makes me less than confident that Police Scotland is, in fact, under real democratic control. Depressing, really.

What is clear is that the Club, and the Fans' Organisation, albeit new and untried, must stay on the front foot with press, other media, and politicians.

I'm stunned at the lack of political response. It just doesn't make any sense. But I'm fine with the OBA, the fact that lots of people against it want it renamed the "Offensive Behaviour at the Football Only Fur the Hunz, But" means it's doing something right.

Not sure about the police and democracy, I've always been with Max Weber on that one. But he didn't have much of an answer, & neither do I.

I'm stunned at the lack of political response. It just doesn't make any sense. But I'm fine with the OBA, the fact that lots of people against it want it renamed the "Offensive Behaviour at the Football Only Fur the Hunz, But" means it's doing something right.

Not sure about the police and democracy, I've always been with Max Weber on that one. But he didn't have much of an answer, & neither do I.

In many parts of the world the political scene is shifting. That includes many 'Western Democracies' where the many of the electorate are unhappy, confused and worse off in several ways, including their pocket.

This has opened the door to political opportunity for both 'progressives' and 'extremists'.

What may have been wild speculation and unthinkable a decade ago is becoming considered speculation, very possible and in some cases probable or has happened. Politicaly, Scotland has become much more polarised and active but is a bit of a basketcase with no credible opposition. The UK is now a place where the government run/back electoral campaigns that include overt racism as a tool, eg London Mayor campaign run by Lynton Crosby. Far-right parties are getting closer to actual government in several countries, eg. last week it was Austria.

I guess what I'm pointing towards are some dangerous tendencies within political attitudes/change,...where in time the denial, attempt to mitigate and deflection from attacks on football players because of the colour of their jersey.......... is a stage towards an altogether darker and more dangerous chain of events.

Edited by buster.

Gordon waddell writing in the Sunday mail a few weeks back described Rangers as a club you wouldn't tire of punching in the face

a he's thought it

b the editor has okayed it

c no one even thought it condemnatory

d more worringly our own club and support did/said nothing about it

is this because this is the new reality, we are numb to it, doesn't even warrant comment?

there has been action now yes because the players manamegemnt have now been physically brought into it, but why has it beeen allowed to grind along like this for so long?

Reference the political thing.

On Tuesday, I listened to the Justice Minister, Michael Mathieson on BBC Radio Scotland. This was the first official response from a representative of the Scottish Government. It was a live interview lasting several minutes. Nothing startling, just confirmation of the independent inquiry and backing Police Scotland's response. He batted off any questions by emphasising the need for the inquiry to be given time and space to do their job. He was genuinely irked by the female interviewer questioning the First Minister's priority of congratulating Hibs and highlighting her husband, SNP Chief Executive, Peter Murrell's delight as a happy Hibee. Michael explained the FM's actions late on Saturday evening as something expected in her designation. He congratulated Hibs too, said the word, 'Hibs' twice. It was then I realised, he had used, 'Scottish Cup final throughout; he NEVER said, 'Rangers' once over several minutes.

Another big Sellik man, Michael ignores the existence of Rangers; thus, Rangers supporters' sensitivities go unacknowledged. Remember, Michael backed rc church spokesman, Peter Kearney's call for the hokey-cokey to be banned for sectarian reasons.

Wings over Scotland offers an out for several thousand Hibs fans on the Hampden pitch. The Editor, the Rev' Stuart Campbell of said site continually lionised by Cosgrove as the alternative source of news to most young Scots, has provided a 12 point raison d'etre legitimising their actions. Like the 'Well fans last season, they harbour a legitimate sense of injustice over Rangers actions and apparently such vigilante behaviour is understandable and acceptable. I have seen this kernal appear in a number of articles this week. I should point out that Campbell continues to blame Liverpool fans for Hillsborough and admits he laughed his head off whilst viewing the events of 9/11 live on TV.

There's a political vacuum reference our club and support and nature hates a vacuum. Hence the weird actions of both Mathieson and Campbell.

Your vigilance is commendable 26th.

I think we know what the response from all three of these individuals would have been if Rangers fans had invaded the pitch and laid into the nearest Hibs player they could find. If Wings Over Scotland want to dance on the head of a pin to justify assault and mob rule then they need to be exposed for the hypocrites they are. if the Rev Campbell is ever confronted and assaulted the way that our players and staff were, I doubt he would be willing to concede that his attackers might have harboured some "legitimate sense of injustice" and that this somehow justified their actions.

Reference the political thing.

There's a political vacuum reference our club and support and nature hates a vacuum. Hence the weird actions of both Mathieson and Campbell.

To do anything constructive about it, the club and the support together have to act.

It's been years of our support suffering, the club keeping their distance and the cornering of both the support and club (that generally looked the other way and refused to recognize/deal with problem).

The players being attacked on Saturday and subsequent aftermath was the crossing of a line that appears to have the club and support on the same page regards the general 'political' situation.

There is most certainly a political vacuum 26th, and on that I would be incredible surprised if there are not many others who have noticed. There has been an earthquake that had left a gaping hole where we need a party that will pick the best of labour and conservative in Scotland and become a viable alternative to the SNP's political arrogance. A party not unlike the DUP in NI perhaps?. It would not be unsurprising to see a Scottish Unionist Party emerge for example, and many would argue not before time.