McCoist wants to return to management

I thought that AMcC's approach to coaching/management was lazy and cynical; unfortunately,

for him, and for the support, some of the players he brought in were lazier and more cynical than him.

Maybe he has learned......We will know soon enough, should he get a job.

I thought that AMcC's approach to coaching/management was lazy and cynical; unfortunately,

for him, and for the support, some of the players he brought in were lazier and more cynical than him.

Maybe he has learned......We will know soon enough, should he get a job.

I don't think it was cynical and lazy per se, I think it was more about letting the players do what they want, or relying on an individual to produce something, rather than working on the team as a whole like Warburton; it just so happens that the players Ally had were shite. It probably works with better players, especially in Scotland, but should not be relied upon in the modern game. I think Walter did the same, but had good organisation and defensive structure to go alongside.

I think that his approach was based on bringing in players who were "experienced", who were "professional football men",

who "knew the Scottish game", who "knew what they were doing", and letting them get on with it. Ultimately, the kind of players who,

he assumed, did not need to be coached. The approach was probably a Walter Smith legacy.

As for the quality of the players, a no of his captures had been Players of the Year at their immediately previous

SPL clubs.

I admit to being pretty jaundiced as regards AMcC's time as manager, but no one honestly could say that it was a success,

either in results ( 4 years to get out of part time leagues), or in the style of play (where do you start?).

I think that his approach was based on bringing in players who were "experienced", who were "professional football men",

who "knew the Scottish game", who "knew what they were doing", and letting them get on with it. Ultimately, the kind of players who,

he assumed, did not need to be coached. The approach was probably a Walter Smith legacy.

As for the quality of the players, a no of his captures had been Players of the Year at their immediately previous

SPL clubs.

I admit to being pretty jaundiced as regards AMcC's time as manager, but no one honestly could say that it was a success,

either in results ( 4 years to get out of part time leagues), or in the style of play (where do you start?).

Well in regards to it taking 4 years to get back to the SPL that's just 1 year longer than the shortest possible time and it has to be viewed from the perspective that when he reached the Chmapionship what he found there was the two Edinburgh giants who are not part timers and who had just come down from the SPL.

This was an unusual situation and if not for their presence he would have won the Championship at the first attempt. As for the style of football no one would swap the Warburton style for it but he was more or less playing the style he himself had been coached in and what was suitable for the leagues he was in and the players he had at his disposal.

So effectively the greatest failure of Ally was not getting out of the Championship at the first attempt in a situation where he had the two Edinburgh teams in there with him and that's aside from all the background upheaval he was having to deal with. I wouldn't swap Waburton for him but Ally was dealing with a unique situation no other Rangers manager ever had to.

And as I mentioned in another post Ally was burdened with a lot of emotional baggage with all the trauma going on at the club which in the circumstances he had to wrestle with along with everything else. He was just as upet with everything that went down as we were and if his first management job had been at a club where he didn't have these emotional ties he may have been a different manager which is why I think he may be a different manager at another club.

Edited by JFK-1

Well in regards to it taking 4 years to get back to the SPL that's just 1 year longer than the shortest possible time and it has to be viewed from the perspective that when he reached the Chmapionship what he found there was the two Edinburgh giants who are not part timers and who had just come down from the SPL.

This was an unusual situation and if not for their presence he would have won the Championship at the first attempt. As for the style of football no one would swap the Warburton style for it but he was more or less playing the style he himself had been coached in and what was suitable for the leagues he was in and the players he had at his disposal.

So effectively the greatest failure of Ally was not getting out of the Championship at the first attempt in a situation where he had the two Edinburgh teams in there with him and that's aside from all the background upheaval he was having to deal with. I wouldn't swap Waburton for him but Ally was dealing with a unique situation no other Rangers manager ever had to.

And as I mentioned in another post Ally was burdened with a lot of emotional baggage with all the trauma going on at the club which in the circumstances he had to wrestle with along with everything else. He was just as upet with everything that went down as we were and if his first management job had been at a club where he didn't have these emotional ties he may have been a different manager which is why I think he may be a different manager at another club.

LOL ur not serious are you? You cannot defend him in any way surely

With the budgets he had he should have strolled thro the leagues and got us promoted a year ago. And that includes playing in the Championship along with hibz'n' hertz.

He was tactically clueless and had no organisational skills whatsoever. No gameplans either. He thought he could pay SPL journeymen OTT salaries & get promoted easily. Managers of part time clubs out thought him regularly too.

I can always remember the day we lost at home to Annan and thinking he'd do the honourable thing & resign. But there was no chance of that was there? Getting paid £750k p.a. against part timers was easy money no one else would give him and he knew it.Not to mention the one million 1p shares he got too.

When he finally did leave he screwed every last penny out of his contract and when Dave King couldnt get him to reach a settlement any remaining respect I had for him went there & then.

one year ago MW arrived and the changes were noticeable immediately. We actually began to look like a 21st century team with tactics and gameplans. We got promotion back to the top division. Not doing so would have been unthinkable. And those players looked fitter last season too if I can be more critical.

We are moving in the right direction now no thanks to McCoist who should have been binned long before he went.

Edited by RANGERRAB