Predictions for EURO 2016 Match Day 2

What's the definition of a "screamer"?

There is a lot of pace and dip on it, but yes, Hart should be saving that. Like the guys in the studio say, if Hart stands in the middle of the goal, and asked someone to smash it from 35-yards, 99 times out of 100, he saves it. His positioning is off slightly, but even then he should be saving it. Good hit though.

That hit isn't my definition of a screamer. Cooper's against Aberdeen is a screamer. Beckham against Greece is a screamer. Carlos for Brazil against France was a screamer.

Only my personal opinion but I think we throw out superlatives far, far too easily these days.

Bale's was a decent hit, powerful enough and it dipped. However, from that distance he has ample time to get it up and over the wall and for it to dip. It wasn't even in the corner, let alone top corner. He simply hit it well and it hit the target.

From that distance I would expect far lesser keepers than Joe Hart to save it... and if it was saved... would we really be saying it was a screamer ?

No way was that a screamer, sorry Rousseau but I'm just not having that. Decent hit but I would expect any pro keeper to be saving it - watch it from Behind Bale, it isn't even in the corner. Two goals from Bale, two free kicks and both times the keeper to blame !

Am I correct in saying that is the same keeper who made a howler against USA in a WC match ?

I was on holiday in Egypt and seem to recall it being him.

Agree completely on Stirling. Too much emphasis on pace and athleticism at times; even if you have it, without the technique, decision-making etc. it's worthless.

I liked the 4-4-2 diamond they were playing. It suited the midfield, and allowed them to play Vardy and Kane. I don't know why he reverted to 4-3-3 in the tournament?

Sterling was a wasted jersey in the 1st game. Yet Hodgson stuck with him. Poor decision. Same with Kane, played poorly 1st game, poor decision to stick with him.

Sturridge on for Sterling

Vardy on for Kane

I would have started with Sturridge and Vardy - if players aren't playing well don't play them, especially when you have decent replacements for them.

Am I correct in saying that is the same keeper who made a howler against USA in a WC match ?

I was on holiday in Egypt and seem to recall it being him.

Think that was Rob Green, not sure though.

Agree completely on Stirling. Too much emphasis on pace and athleticism at times; even if you have it, without the technique, decision-making etc. it's worthless.

I liked the 4-4-2 diamond they were playing. It suited the midfield, and allowed them to play Vardy and Kane. I don't know why he reverted to 4-3-3 in the tournament?

4-3-3 with the players at his disposal just doesn't work. Lallana isn't a winger. Sterling is off form.

Go 4-4-2 with Dier holding in midfield and Rooney playing the "10" behind Vardy and Kane (or Sturridge seeing as Kane isn't playing well either).

That hit isn't my definition of a screamer. Cooper's against Aberdeen is a screamer. Beckham against Greece is a screamer. Carlos for Brazil against France was a screamer.

Only my personal opinion but I think we throw out superlatives far, far too easily these days.

Bale's was a decent hit, powerful enough and it dipped. However, from that distance he has ample time to get it up and over the wall and for it to dip. It wasn't even in the corner, let alone top corner. He simply hit it well and it hit the target.

From that distance I would expect far lesser keepers than Joe Hart to save it... and if it was saved... would we really be saying it was a screamer ?

On reflection, I agree it wasn't really a screamer. I was, perhaps, focusing too much of the distance? I was grasping for an appropriate description! "Bale has just scored a... goal" doesn't have the same power.