Predictions for EURO 2016 Match Day 3

England's team selection shouldn't be an issue because they did enough to win the game; they just couldn't put it in the net -- sound familiar?

I thought Dier was quite impressive. He does a good defensive job, but I think his passing into the final third was excellent -- reminded me of Carrick's pin-point vertical passing.

Everyone keeps going on about the chances England had but not one person has mentioned that slovakia had the best 2 chances of the game and they were 2 real sitters.

Everyone keeps going on about the chances England had but not one person has mentioned that slovakia had the best 2 chances of the game and they were 2 real sitters.

Very true. My point was that team selection shouldn't be an issue.

One could argue their defense has not been tested yet, as they've dominated their games against sides that weren't looking to play.

Very true. My point was that team selection shouldn't be an issue.

One could argue their defense has not been tested yet, as they've dominated their games against sides that weren't looking to play.

Team selection is seldom not an issue if you change 6 names.

It was Walker and Rooney that stood out and the Slovakian manager must have been dancing when he heard this.

Team selection is seldom not an issue if you change 6 names.

It was Walker and Rooney that stood out and the Slovakian manager must have been dancing when he heard this.

I'm not so sure. It's only an issue if it doesn't work. I think it did work, but they didn't put it in the net; which is something they've struggled to do all tournament. We've seen two line-ups that have struggled to do the same thing. If Hodgson didn't change it and got the same result, would we not be asking why not? However, they were playing against packed defenses, which is always difficult.

I agree certain player omissions were unnecessary, like Walker and Rooney.

To be fair though, I don't think one could call it a weakened side!

I'm pleased we've got more than one game today, but the simultaneous scheduling means more work for me!

NIR-Germany could be a good one, although I presume it'll be a packed NIR defense against a dominant German possession game. Tactically interesting, if a bit dull at times.

Croatia-Spain will be another good one; two of the better teams thus far. Hopefully the fans behave themselves.

I'm not so sure. It's only an issue if it doesn't work. I think it did work, but they didn't put it in the net; which is something they've struggled to do all tournament. We've seen two line-ups that have struggled to do the same thing. If Hodgson didn't change it and got the same result, would we not be asking why not? However, they were playing against packed defenses, which is always difficult.

I agree certain player omissions were unnecessary, like Walker and Rooney.

To be fair though, I don't think one could call it a weakened side!

England scored 1 goal in their first match (draw), 2 goals in their second match (win) and 0 goals last night (draw).

I don't think it worked (results driven business / competitive match ) and for all the pressure who had the clearest opportunities ?

What's more, as soon as you saw that Walker and Rooney (Englands 2 best players so far) weren't playing, you see an England manager who in this particular game, seemed to, for whatever reason(s), prioritise squad mgmt., over the result.

That squad mgmt. may benefit the team further down the line (perhaps there is an injury niggle or two we don't know about) and despite the bad press, I think England are well placed for their next tie when they'll be playing their first choice XI.

All about opinions as they say..............

Edited by buster.

England scored 1 goal in their first match (draw), 2 goals in their second match (win) and 0 goals last night (draw).

I don't think it worked (results driven business / competitive match ) and for all the pressure who had the clearest opportunities ?

What's more, as soon as you saw that Walker and Rooney (Englands 2 best players so far) weren't playing, you see an England manager who in this particular game, seemed to, for whatever reason(s), prioritise squad mgmt., over the result.

That squad mgmt. may benefit the team further down the line (perhaps there is an injury niggle or two we don't know about) and despite the bad press, I think England are well placed for their next tie when they'll be playing their first choice XI.

All about opinions as they say..............

Squad management is fine in league situations where you have 38 league games in a season.

However, in a shortened format such as this if you get the team selection wrong you could very well end up eliminated and no need for further squad management but rather looking out your passport for your holidays. They had only played 2 games at this point so I'm not sure I see the need for rotation unless, like you say, there were niggling injuries.

However, I personally see it as being poor management of the whole squad when you rotate more than half your team in one game. Personally I just think that Hodgson ballsed it up. If he wanted to keep players fresh then look to the Wales game (which, on paper, was a comfortable game) and rest 3 players, then rest a different 3 for the Slovakia game. I think that Hodgson had a mass rotation on his mind for this game before the tournament even started - he fully anticipated 6 points from two games and therefore mass rotation in the Slovakia game would have meant little. It backfired on him after that late goal from Russia.

As I said elsewhere, I think that ultimately Hodgson will be the reason that England wont win this.

Some people are lauding him for his substitutions against Wales in bringing on Vardy & Sturridge for Kane & Sterling. However, any blind man could see that Vardy & Sturridge should have started the game because both Kane & Sterling are out of form. He got lucky, rather than he made inspired substitutions.

Squad management is fine in league situations where you have 38 league games in a season.

However, in a shortened format such as this if you get the team selection wrong you could very well end up eliminated and no need for further squad management but rather looking out your passport for your holidays. They had only played 2 games at this point so I'm not sure I see the need for rotation unless, like you say, there were niggling injuries.

However, I personally see it as being poor management of the whole squad when you rotate more than half your team in one game. Personally I just think that Hodgson ballsed it up. If he wanted to keep players fresh then look to the Wales game (which, on paper, was a comfortable game) and rest 3 players, then rest a different 3 for the Slovakia game. I think that Hodgson had a mass rotation on his mind for this game before the tournament even started - he fully anticipated 6 points from two games and therefore mass rotation in the Slovakia game would have meant little. It backfired on him after that late goal from Russia.

As I said elsewhere, I think that ultimately Hodgson will be the reason that England wont win this.

Some people are lauding him for his substitutions against Wales in bringing on Vardy & Sturridge for Kane & Sterling. However, any blind man could see that Vardy & Sturridge should have started the game because both Kane & Sterling are out of form. He got lucky, rather than he made inspired substitutions.

Re. Wales game

No, you have to qualify first.

Last night

On the face of it, I think RH made a decision/gamble and partly lost.

But

As far as England are concerned now, they are in the next round and have the opportunity to show how good they are.

IMO, Hodgson won't be the reason England won't win this. It's just that there are other teams who are better, especially Spain.

Re. Wales game

No, you have to qualify first.

Last night

On the face of it, I think RH made a decision/gamble and partly lost.

But

As far as England are concerned now, they are in the next round and have the opportunity to show how good they are.

IMO, Hodgson won't be the reason England won't win this. It's just that there are other teams who are better, especially Spain.

Hodgson may not be the ONLY reason they wont win this but he most certainly will be a contributing factor. Sticking with Kane & Sterling, especially the latter who currently looks like he has never seen a football before, shows that he fears making changes when it matters most.