Predictions for EURO 2016 Match Day 3

Hodgson may not be the ONLY reason they wont win this but he most certainly will be a contributing factor. Sticking with Kane & Sterling, especially the latter who currently looks like he has never seen a football before, shows that he fears making changes when it matters most.

Agree with 'CF'.

You could say RH included one too many central forwards (Rashford or Sturridge) in his squad and instead should have given himself another wide playing option, given he seems to like playing with a wide player...because Sterling has been poor and looks short on confidence.

The problem now that Kane isn't firing (after doing well in the lead-up to the tournament) is that there are questions/doubts about who to start up front arising at an inopportune moment, ......unlike the days when Lineker was always good for 4 or 5 tournament goals.

The Rooney experiment has gone reasonably well but you could also argue that to experiment with it so late in the day wasn't the best preperation and has contributed to the uncertainty of who to play up front.

Agree with 'CF'.

You could say RH included one too many central forwards (Rashford or Sturridge) in his squad and instead should have given himself another wide playing option, given he seems to like playing with a wide player...because Sterling has been poor and looks short on confidence.

The problem now that Kane isn't firing (after doing well in the lead-up to the tournament) is that there are questions/doubts about who to start up front arising at an inopportune moment, ......unlike the days when Lineker was always good for 4 or 5 tournament goals.

The Rooney experiment has gone reasonably well but you could also argue that to experiment with it so late in the day wasn't the best preperation and has contributed to the uncertainty of who to play up front.

To me one of the issues he has is the formation he is playing. 4-3-3 seems to be the standard these days - however, when playing that formation he is using Sterling (who is a winger) and Lallana (who isn't a winger) - both are playing too far removed from Kane, who I personally don't think can lead the line himself - you need more of a Drogba-type.

If they reverted to a 4-4-2 with the midfield 4 being a diamond with Rooney at the top of the diamond and with Vardy & Kane up front they may see more joy. I guess what I am saying is that his squad selection was more befitting a 4-4-2 than a 4-3-3 - seems that the 4-3-3 was an after-thought until it actually made sense, by which time his squad was already announced.

Completely agree that he probably has taken one more central striker than he needed and/or could have been doing with a winger in their place. Either don't take Rashford or Lallana and bring Walcott (I'm not a big fan but he keeps teams honest defensively with his pace if played on the wing) or Townsend who is a natural winger. It would have given him better balance in a 4-3-3 formation.

Mrs Craig - will update with other 2 scores when she provides them :

N Ireland 0 - 1 Germany

Ukraine 0 - 1 Poland

Croatia 1 - 1 Spain

Czech Republic 0 - 0 Turkey

Edited by craig

To me one of the issues he has is the formation he is playing. 4-3-3 seems to be the standard these days - however, when playing that formation he is using Sterling (who is a winger) and Lallana (who isn't a winger) - both are playing too far removed from Kane, who I personally don't think can lead the line himself - you need more of a Drogba-type.

If they reverted to a 4-4-2 with the midfield 4 being a diamond with Rooney at the top of the diamond and with Vardy & Kane up front they may see more joy. I guess what I am saying is that his squad selection was more befitting a 4-4-2 than a 4-3-3 - seems that the 4-3-3 was an after-thought until it actually made sense, by which time his squad was already announced.

Completely agree that he probably has taken one more central striker than he needed and/or could have been doing with a winger in their place. Either don't take Rashford or Lallana and bring Walcott (I'm not a big fan but he keeps teams honest defensively with his pace if played on the wing) or Townsend who is a natural winger. It would have given him better balance in a 4-3-3 formation.

Speaking tactics is above my paygrade,....I'm more old school punter / gut feel rant :redface:,.... rather than the detail.

Vardy would be the first name on my team sheet for every game. I couldn't believe it when he wasn't playing in the first game. I would love to see Vardy and Rashford in a 4-4-2 or even better a 3-5-2 although I think he only has 3 centre backs in the squad. If one gets injured he is walking a tight-rope.

The German set-up is quite interesting. They have no striker; Gotze is used as a false-nine, with Ozil also floating around him. It's a standard 4-4-2, but very flexible. It'll be interesting to see how they will approach what will be a compact NIR defense.

The German set-up is quite interesting. They have no striker; Gotze is used as a false-nine, with Ozil also floating around him. It's a standard 4-4-2, but very flexible. It'll be interesting to see how they will approach what will be a compact NIR defense.

Oops! They actually have big Gomez up front today! It's still a 4-4-2, but with false-wingers (Gotze and Ozil) -- if you'll permit the 'hipster-ism'!

The wingers tuck inside, with the fullbacks playing very high and wide to provide width. They also have two sitting players to cover though. I think that's what Rangers need at times -- if we persist with aggressive fullbacks.

Dismiss it if you like, but it really does underline how important a 'philosophy' is to a team -- a formation is just a framework; it's how you utilise it that counts.

Edited by Rousseau