we need a centre back with a bit of pace and a striker

I think we need a CB who has pace & can defend set pieces. We lost far too many goals from set pieces towards the end of last season including the SC final which cost us the EL place

I'm not really sure what to make of our summer transfer dealings. Will we be splashing the cash next season should we qualify for Europe? We're going to need to.

Splashing how much? Man City have been doing that for years now, Arsenal for much much longer without success in Europe.

Should we spend as much as we can afford, or exceed our means to chase the dream?

Splashing the cash has no guarantees to success in Europe.

Look at Celtic...can't get anywhere in Europe now.

Edited by Bearman

MARK WARBURTON couldn’t hide his delight in Charleston earlier after securing the services of full-back Lee Hodson on a three-year deal.

The 24 year-old joins Rangers from MK Dons to provide yet more competition in the defensive areas, and Warburton believes the Light Blues have secured a highly competent performer.

Speaking as his side wrapped up training at the MUSC Health Stadium in Charleston this morning, the gaffer explained: “We are securing a high quality, flexible full back. He’s athletic, has good experience and a good pedigree with Watford.

“He performed more than competently at Championship level down south and he’s very highly thought of with the Northern Irish national team.

“I’m delighted to get him. I’ve known him from when he was an eleven or twelve year old and I’ve watched his progress.

“He’s is a fantastic character and he’s a good athlete, who will be keen to push Tav and Lee all the way – that’s what we want and what they want.

“He’s not here to come and make up numbers, he’s a very comfortable performer.”

The addition of another challenger in his backline is a source of great pleasure for Warburton with a number of players in the squad now being forced to step-up their game in order to remain in his side.

The manager continued: “We have to have that competition. All credit last season to Lee and to Tav for the way that they coped with the demands of last season.

“We’ve got Matt Gilks working hard with Wes and they will push each other all of the way. We’ve not got full back cover and we’re looking at trying to get another, at centre half.

“All over the park now we now have competition, so one or two more to come in and then our business is almost done.”

Hodson and Warburton go back a long way having worked together previously at Watford and Brentford, and the manager is confident his new acquisition has what it takes to make it at Rangers, particularly given he has just returned from Euro 2016 with Northern Ireland.

Warburton added: “I think coming to Rangers we need players who can deal with the pressure of playing for the club in terms of the demands both on and off the field.

“Lee’s character is great, he is very level headed and I know what he will bring to the squad. He’ll fit in well, there’s no doubt about it.

“We’ve chased him for a few weeks and we’re just delighted to get him. He’s been away at the Euros and we know that he is quality.

“He’s a very competent performer and has good attributes. He’s very good technically and mentally and he will deal with the expectation, so he’s a very good addition to our squad.

“A lot of our business has been done early which we wanted to do as a club, so it’s good news and it puts a good message out to the fans.”

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/warbs-thrilled-hodson-capture/

Signing Lee Hodson seems to me that MW thinks we've no one coming thro from the U20 squad who is good enough to stand in for Tav or LW in the FB positions. That needs to change.

Nothing against Lee Hodson but he's little more than a journeyman type player who'll be nothing more than a squad player lucky to get on the bench every week

Don't think this guy is going to be any better than the hapless Ricky Foster. If he can't get into a poor NI team, and gets papped to relegation threatened Killie it doesn't say much for our Development squad that he is seen as a better option. Good luck to the lad and I don't want to be blowing the budget for a sub, so he will do as an option to ensure Tav can get a break to keep his level up throughout a long tense season.

Definitely still needing a centre half to play alongside Hill and a striker to play alongside Waggy & Barrie. Squad is getting deeper, stronger and taking shape.

It's going to take time to recover from the Sinclair error, we have TWO under 20 players on our books, Jordan Thompson and Ryan Hardie.

So this season the under 20's will be made up of 17 & 18 year olds. Of the 18 year olds Ross McCrorie has plaed RB but seen more as a CB and played in midfield when on loan at Ayr. Lewis White is a LB but was injured for a large part of last season and was generally understudy to Jamie Mills who was released.

I'm not really sure what to make of our summer transfer dealings. Will we be splashing the cash next season should we qualify for Europe? We're going to need to.

Signings like this and a 37 year old CB do concern me

Splashing how much? Man City have been doing that for years now, Arsenal for much much longer without success in Europe.

Should we spend as much as we can afford, or exceed our means to chase the dream?

Splashing the cash has no guarntees to success in Europe.

Look at Celtic...can't get anywhere in Europe now.

I don't think anyone is expecting us to spend the sort of money Man City & Arsenal spend.

As for C@@@@c they did reach the EL group stages which is about as far as we can expect over the next few years whether we like it or not