Motherwell next week.

Phoney war is over....now it's the real thing

what's the line up ?.......apparently it's too early for some of our new signings and I was thinking Barry McKay might be a week behind as well.

Then it's east Stirling and Stranrar.

will everyone have played a competitive game before the league opener .........it's Hamilton is it not ?

There will be a few who won't be ready and you'd imagine we'll be undercooked regards match sharpness.

Motherwell have played several friendlies, are at home and I'd make them favourites for this one-off match but am more interested in us being ready for the start of the league in terms of fitness, sharpness and organised/drilled.

I'd be extremely disappointed indeed if we lost to Motherwell next week. Every competitive game should be a 'must-win' for us regardless if it's the LC or whatever.

It's not so much because it's the LC, it's about organising what is still a pre-season with an eye to being properly up and running for the Hamilton game.

Because of the July dates and that we play 4 games in 9 days, the League Cup becomes preperation rather than competitive fixtures.

Naturally we want to win all competitive matches but the manager is still going through the process of preparing the squad for the opening league match which is far more important.

I would rather have 3 points from that opening league match than a league cup win at Motherwell and in addition it's common for teams in England as well to field a team that isn't the first 11 in early league cup rounds.

The league cup is silverware but aside from that it's nothing else in comparison to the league itself and the Scottish cup both of which offer a European spot.

I would also expect us to still qualify even if we lost at Motherwell and still believe that whatever he fields will give a good account of themselves and have every chance of winning the game.

In fact a win with a side that isn't the first 11 would send out an impressive message of intent to the rest of the SPL.

Edited by JFK-1

It's not so much because it's the LC, it's about organising what is still a pre-season with an eye to being properly up and running for the Hamilton game.

Because of the July dates and that we play 4 games in 9 days, the League Cup becomes preperation rather than competitive fixtures.

That may be so but we should still want to win this one regardless. I want some sort of revenge on Motherwell following the play-off a year ago. I suspect many of our supoort do too.

That may be so but we should still want to win this one regardless. I want some sort of revenge on Motherwell following the play-off a year ago. I suspect many of our supoort do too.

I would absolutely love to give Motherwell a good hiding for the events of last year but still happy to accept the manager is still preparing the squad. I would rather thrash them in the league than this if it came to a choice.

Not too much interested in these games in fact it has already caused me to use up one of my ccc mandate refusals(bummer),who wants to travel to Ochilview on a Tuesday night when game on telly.

What makes anyone think Motherwell will be at a more advanced stage of pre-season than us?

They may have played a couple more friendlies but MW has stated several times he doesn't care much for friendlies and doesn't place much emphasis on them, preferring to work with his squad at training and get the work/rest balance right without matches.

We hadn't had hardly any build up this time last year and didn't do too badly in our first match. MW will go as strong as he can next week, and it should be enough to get a good result, or a draw at worst.

Agree,you cant build confidence on the back of defeats.Lets hit the ground running.