Celtic face yet another UEFA rap as fans fly Palestine flags

Don't MSP's, or MP's in general, understand that UEFA, football's governing body, have their own legislation which prohibits clearly political statements. Not sure how Celtic fans could deny this is a political statement. Ergo, they are in contravention of UEFA's rules.

MP's condoning what they did is akin to condoning anarchy. UEFA's rules contravened today, rule of law contravened tomorrow.....

But EUFA needs to be consistent in the application of that rule, like referees who often are inconsistent. As reported elsewhere what about Basque flags and ETA for example? It's sad that sport has to be the conduit for political protest but sometimes you have to take a stand. I remember being furious when Scotland played in Chile in a stadium where shortly before thousands were murdered by Pinochet's generals.

But EUFA needs to be consistent in the application of that rule, like referees who often are inconsistent. As reported elsewhere what about Basque flags and ETA for example? It's sad that sport has to be the conduit for political protest but sometimes you have to take a stand. I remember being furious when Scotland played in Chile in a stadium where shortly before thousands were murdered by Pinochet's generals.

Are those Basque flags flown in European competition ? If so then the offending fans should be treated the same way, I completely agree.

If not then it depends on the Spanish authorities legislation.

You may say "sometimes you have to take a stand" but I would be mightily annoyed at my fellow Rangers fans taking a stand that could see the Club expelled from European competition, or see a chunk of the stadium closed. And for a cause which I can almost guarantee you that 95%+ of their fans have absolutely no idea what they are protesting about.

Taking a stand is one thing - but doing so knowing that you are contravening the UEFA legislation and both willingly and wantonly putting the Club at risk.

I'm not sure your Pinochet analogy works, but happy to stand corrected. You were furious that your own nation played a game in a stadium that had housed thousands murdered. Your link for fury was Scotland and your national team. What is the link between Celtic fans and Palestine ?

Are those Basque flags flown in European competition ? If so then the offending fans should be treated the same way, I completely agree.

If not then it depends on the Spanish authorities legislation.

You may say "sometimes you have to take a stand" but I would be mightily annoyed at my fellow Rangers fans taking a stand that could see the Club expelled from European competition, or see a chunk of the stadium closed. And for a cause which I can almost guarantee you that 95%+ of their fans have absolutely no idea what they are protesting about.

Taking a stand is one thing - but doing so knowing that you are contravening the UEFA legislation and both willingly and wantonly putting the Club at risk.

I'm not sure your Pinochet analogy works, but happy to stand corrected. You were furious that your own nation played a game in a stadium that had housed thousands murdered. Your link for fury was Scotland and your national team. What is the link between Celtic fans and Palestine ?

Was trying to address the thorny question of politics and sport not trying to create a sense of 'whataboutery' No direct link for Keltic as a club but the fact is a team from Israel was playing in my country so i can see why some might see it as a chance to make a legitimate protest. Re RFC being thrown out of Europe, I too would be enraged as the singing of The Billy Boys is innocuous by any sane comparison. Do you not think there's a difference between heritage/identity and current political practice? I'd like to see us fly the Saltire as well as the Union flag; wonder what Eufa would say about that?

Was trying to address the thorny question of politics and sport not trying to create a sense of 'whataboutery' No direct link for Keltic as a club but the fact is a team from Israel was playing in my country so i can see why some might see it as a chance to make a legitimate protest. Re RFC being thrown out of Europe, I too would be enraged as the singing of The Billy Boys is innocuous by any sane comparison. Do you not think there's a difference between heritage/identity and current political practice? I'd like to see us fly the Saltire as well as the Union flag; wonder what Eufa would say about that?

We don't fly the saltire ? That is a little strange to me. Whilst we may be "quintessentially British" we also are a club plying our trade in the Scottish leagues. Would flying our Saltire be a political statement though ? I mean, the Saltire is an integral embedded element of the Union flag so to not allow the flying of the Saltire would suggest the Union flag should change :D

Do you honestly think that Celtic fans were embarking on a legitimate protest ? Maybe I am being naïve, but from my perspective to have a legitimate protest you need to have a basic understanding on what you are protesting, and I doubt many who were part of their flag-waving actually knew what they were protesting - ie. a few would know, and would lead the protest, but the vast majority would have been "sheeple".

Hamas have proposed a two state solution for Palestine in the past and has been rejected by Israel.

Seriously? You understand that hamas denies the right of Israel to exist at all? That they couldn't care less about any two states? That all they care about is that a Jewish state doesn't exist and further than that no Jews should exists anywhere?

From the hamas charter.

Israel will exist and will continue to exist until Islam will obliterate it, just as it obliterated others before it

You seriously think that's a mentality that only wants to live peaceably with a two state solution?

You want to see the view of their predecessors the PLO on it? From a PLO executive in 1977.

The Palestinian people does not exist. The creation of a Palestinian state is only a means for continuing our struggle against the state of Israel for our Arab unity. In reality today there is no difference between Jordanians, Palestinians, Syrians and Lebanese.

Only for political and tactical reasons do we speak today about the existence of a Palestinian people, since Arab national interests demand that we posit the existence of a distinct "Palestinian people" to oppose Zionism.

Yes, the existence of a separate Palestinian identity exists only for tactical reasons, Jordan, which is a sovereign state with defined borders, cannot raise claims to Haifa and Jaffa, while as a Palestinian, I can undoubtedly demand Haifa, Jaffa, Beer-Sheva and Jerusalem. However, the moment we reclaim our right to all of Palestine, we will not wait even a minute to unite Palestine and Jordan.

Is everyone seeing that? There is NO Palestinian identity that should require a state at all and if it were given to them then the quest to destroy Israel would simply continue then Palestine would be be reunited with Jordan.

How much clearer can they make it before it sinks in?

Edited by JFK-1

We don't fly the saltire ? That is a little strange to me. Whilst we may be "quintessentially British" we also are a club plying our trade in the Scottish leagues. Would flying our Saltire be a political statement though ? I mean, the Saltire is an integral embedded element of the Union flag so to not allow the flying of the Saltire would suggest the Union flag should change :D

Do you honestly think that Celtic fans were embarking on a legitimate protest ? Maybe I am being naïve, but from my perspective to have a legitimate protest you need to have a basic understanding on what you are protesting, and I doubt many who were part of their flag-waving actually knew what they were protesting - ie. a few would know, and would lead the protest, but the vast majority would have been "sheeple".

I dunno, you may be right there, we'll not know for sure. Perhaps protesting outside the stadium may sort out the sheeples from the real peoples !

BTW You will hate me for this but for the good of Scottish football I hope Keltic get through. Dont care how much money they get, i am absolutely confident we can wrest the SPL from them; we have a better manager and better midfield. How good would it be for us to wipe the floor with the mega-rich CL squad?

[/b] I dunno, you may be right there, we'll not know for sure. Perhaps protesting outside the stadium may sort out the sheeples from the real peoples !

BTW You will hate me for this but for the good of Scottish football I hope Keltic get through. Dont care how much money they get, i am absolutely confident we can wrest the SPL from them; we have a better manager and better midfield. How good would it be for us to wipe the floor with the mega-rich CL squad?

And how much harder would it be to repeat it next season once they collect the 20 million plus from a champions league campaign and are stung by having been beaten out the previous year?

Seriously? You understand that hamas denies the right of Israel to exist at all? That they couldn't care less about any two states? That all they care about is that a Jewish state doesn't exist and further than that no Jews should exists anywhere?

From the hamas charter.

You seriously think that's a mentality that only wants to live peaceably with a two state solution?

You want to see the view of their predecessors the PLO on it? From a PLO executive in 1977.

Is everyone seeing that? There is NO Palestinian identity that should require a state at all and if it were given to them then the quest to destroy Israel would simply continue then Palestine would be be reunited with Jordan.

How much clearer can they make it before it sinks in?

But you can say exactly the same about the Zionist concept. If you seek to ethnically cleanse a people of their own land why be surprised if they want to sweep you away?

And how much harder would it be to repeat it next season once they collect the 20 million plus from a champions league campaign and are stung by having been beaten out the previous year?

They've had money in the past and bought poorly. Leicester City have given me huge confidence and optimism. Being underdogs suits us I believe.