Preston statement regarding Joe Garner

Welcome mate. I am not really sure what to think yet as 57 goals in 151 games is just short of 1 goal per 3 games which is not that great for a striker. He is 28 and I wonder what his scoring average is overall. I will judge him on what he does for us though.

And 6 goals last season (which is a pathetic tally) suggests he isn't good enough for the English Championship. Don't understand this transfer at all. We're obviously skint and need to be developing players for profits ASAP - just like the tims do. I would have been spending whatever resources we do have on younger players - preferably from abroad - who we can develop and make substantial profits on from Premiership clubs. Our aim should be to sign players for £1 or 2m and punt them on for £10m to the Premiership. We have virtually no chance whatsoever of ever making a profit here.

From reading PNE forums there seemed to be a bit of a consensus that he struggled in the Championship and that he's a League 1 level player. Now he might still rattle them home up here given how poor the standard is, but I sincerely hope we haven't blown the best part of £2 million on a third tier level English player.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

Many PNE fans also suggest he didn't score as many goals because of they defensive way they played last season.

Strikers cost the most money in terms of transfer fees and £750K (plus the same next summer depending on certain stipulations) isn't a huge outlay in the grand scheme of things.

We have also brought in a young striker whom we could sell on at a profit so it perhaps made sense to compliment this signing with an experienced player capable of fitting into our system and scoring goals, Garner does this and if he does the business over the next 3 years then who's to say we won't still make a tidy profit if he moves on at some point?

Finally, as it stands our scouting network remains poor compared to others clubs. McParland seems to be doing a reasonable job but, like every other part of the club, his department needs investment. That will only come when we start making money again - either via European group stage football or by selling on playing assets.

As it stands there an element of chicken and egg when it comes to progress at the club and many fans would do well to understand this.

Edited by Frankie

And 6 goals last season (which is a pathetic tally) suggests he isn't good enough for the English Championship. Don't understand this transfer at all. We're obviously skint and need to be developing players for profits ASAP - just like the tims do. I would have been spending whatever resources we do have on younger players - preferably from abroad - who we can develop and make substantial profits on from Premiership clubs. Our aim should be to sign players for £1 or 2m and punt them on for £10m to the Premiership. We have virtually no chance whatsoever of ever making a profit here.

From reading PNE forums there seemed to be a bit of a consensus that he struggled in the Championship and that he's a League 1 level player. Now he might still rattle them home up here given how poor the standard is, but I sincerely hope we haven't blown the best part of £2 million on a third tier level English player.

Thats easier said than done the club is still stabilising in many respects we need to walk before we can run.

Having a driving policy of signing players to sell at a profit on seems like an exercise in futility and diverts from any reasonable ethos of our club being something to do with winning trophies and sporting excellence. If that happens, I think we'll be moribund and on the way to a slow, inglorious death. It's not something I'd welcome.

There's nothing wrong with assessing the risks of paying good money for players with the hedging of a possible residual or speculatively increasing value, but we should be primarily buying players we think will play successfully in our team, and so help us win trophies and do realistically well in Europe.

Losing a great player we've discovered for a high fee, should be because the money is compensation for the loss, not our raison d'etre.

The state of the game where we find ourselves is depressing enough, without going down a road of some sort of perpetual feeder club.