BARRIE MCKAY has been called up to the Scotland squad

Monday, 22 August 2016, 12:24

by Rangers Football Club

AddThis Sharing Buttons

Share to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to WhatsAppShare to EmailMore AddThis Share options

BARRIE MCKAY has been called up to the Scotland squad for the upcoming World Cup Qualifier against Malta.

Gordon Strachan announced his squad for the match this afternoon as the national team prepares for the qualifying campaign.

Gers winger McKay made his debut for the national team against France at the start of June as a substitute in the friendly match and this is the first time he has been called up for a competitive fixture.

21 year old attacker McKay has made eight appearances for the Light Blues this season and has scored once, against Annan Athletic in the League Cup.

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia Qualifiers

Malta v Scotland

Sunday 4th September 2016, kick-off 8.45 pm (local time)

National Stadium, Ta’Qali, Malta

Goalkeepers

Craig Gordon (Celtic)

Jack Hamilton (Heart of Midlothian)

David Marshall (Cardiff City)

Defenders

Christophe Berra (Ipswich Town)

Gordon Greer (Blackburn Rovers)

Grant Hanley (Newcastle United)

Alan Hutton (Aston Villa)

Russell Martin (Norwich City)

Callum Paterson (Heart of Midlothian)

Andrew Robertson (Hull City)

Kieran Tierney (Celtic)

Midfielders

Ikechi Anya (Watford)

Barry Bannan (Sheffield Wednesday)

Oliver Burke (Nottingham Forest)

Darren Fletcher (West Bromwich Albion)

James Forrest (Celtic)

James McArthur (Crystal Palace)

Kevin McDonald (Fulham)

John McGinn (Hibernian)

Barrie McKay (Rangers)

James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion)

Matt Ritchie (Newcastle United)

Robert Snodgrass (Hull City)

Forwards

Steven Fletcher (Sheffield Wednesday)

Leigh Griffiths (Celtic)

Chris Martin (Derby County)

Steven Naismith (Norwich City)

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/mckay-called-scotland/

I don't know who Barrie is in competition with for a place, but I have to say that his performances so far this season have not been anywhere close to the standard that he showed last year. Is this due to his playing against better players, or the combination with Wallace not working (again, against the consistently high levels of last season), but I am not overly impressed as yet. Strachan does appear to select the same group of players irrespective of form (not sure when Hutton last had a good match for Villa, or if Anya has even played for Watford this season) and no doubt, we will get the same outcome i.e. failure to qualify for a major tournament. Only good news is that Brown has retired from international football, so that has to lead to some improvement in the centre of midfield.

To me, McKay looks jaded and given he hardly had any summer break compared to others, then that seems the most likely explanation.

I was surprised the manager used him so much in the League Cup games as I think the lad deserved a rest.

Good to see McKay getting a call up. Slightly surprised Wallace is not there but Roberston and Teirney there, I suppose they are younger. Not really sure what we learn from adding Steven Fletcher again? Must have naked pics of wee Gordon or something?

Robertson's the best left back. Wallace doesn't deserve a place and McKay is lucky based on this season's form.