Good find about us being called Glasgow Rangers

Over on FF a(nother) discussion runs about us being called Rangers, The Rangers, or Glasgow Rangers, where and when and for what reason.

Now someone called Dubweiser has found this neat piece of info that goes back deep into our earliest days ...

This is the earliest I have for us being called Glasgow Rangers if from the Daily Record on the 5th Jan 1874 in a match report for our match against the wonderfully named Garelochhead Dollopers.

smvm75.jpg

Mind you:

A match report for the same game in a different newspaper referred to the Rangers of Glasgow.

It is assumed there were quite a few teams with the same back then and to keep those apart, certain additions were made.

Other intersting sources listed:

w2oo3l.jpg

2uep44n.jpg

4t0nep.jpg

... and UEFA is clued up enough to call us:

rangers-fc-of-scotland-are-drawn-in-group-h-during-the-uefa-champions-picture-id53461271

Thanks for that dB. It has long been a bugbear of mine when we get called 'Glasgow.' My contention is that we were famous enough not to need the geographical soubriquet. I could accept it if Arsenal were known as London Arsenal or even Woolwich Arsenal but anglo commentators never see the need.

Surely no one could confuse us with Berwick Rangers or Stafford Rangers?

Pub quiz question: which English club contains the name of 2 Scottish clubs in its own name? (Queens Park Rangers).

Thanks for that dB. It has long been a bugbear of mine when we get called 'Glasgow.' My contention is that we were famous enough not to need the geographical soubriquet. I could accept it if Arsenal were known as London Arsenal or even Woolwich Arsenal but anglo commentators never see the need.

Pub quiz question: which English club contains the name of 2 Scottish clubs in its own name? (Queens Park Rangers).

I am afraid it will always be the famous Glasgow Rangers for me, official or not. I hate when the Dutch call us just Glasgow though that gets on my wick.

My dad always used to use 'The' before Rangers i.e. as in "I'm off to see the Rangers play". I never knew if it was a Glasgow colloquialism or if it was the full name of the club. Subsequently, I have always used the term The Rangers.

Glasgow Rangers is always used in the South African media but perhaps this is done in order to differentiate Rangers from QPR.

Here's another Pub quiz cracker...What is unique about Rangers, Celtic, Arsenal, St.Mirren and Albion Rovers that sets them apart from all the other clubs in Scotland and England (playing in all 8 leagues)

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

I am afraid it will always be the famous Glasgow Rangers for me, official or not. I hate when the Dutch call us just Glasgow though that gets on my wick.

I'm afraid that in general I don't have much time for the Dutch mate. :seal:

I'm afraid that in general I don't have much time for the Dutch mate. :seal:

Nether do I, I married one.:D

We all have our own experiences but the Netherlands and the Dutch people have been great to me.