Changes going forward

The dust settling and I think we are still learning a lot about this new team. People have to remember we are still a new side and gelling. Our issues are obvious at the back, Senderos was brought in and had a nightmare debut but he isn't the first person to be sent off on an OF debut. The manager has to be doing some work with the defence on the training ground. Clint Hill was brought in with a wealth of experience and has to step up, the other option is Crooks and if he has an impact like his former Accrington team mate Windass then he will be a good addition.

Id like to see a few changes and going 4-1-4-1 which is adaptable and see something similar to this in the next game. Kranjcar is clearly off the pace and Barton hasn't fully adapted to the league yet. Up top Dodoo's injury is unfortunate and he could be a good addition.

___________________________Foderingham_______________________

Tavenier__________Wilson______________Hill_____________Wallace

____________________________Rossiter____________________________

Waghorn__________Forrester______Holt_______________Windass

_____________________________Miller_____________________________

A 4-1-4-1 is basically what we play now (4-3-3), and was what we played against them for large spells. Your issue, and everyone's to be fair, comes down to personnel and what is our best XI.

I actually though we defended quite well when we lined up with 2 banks of four -- something I've not really seen -- and shows how easy it is when you're covered. We started conceding when we opened up to pass forward, which there is nothing wrong with in itself, it's just that we gave the ball away.

To be honest, I don't think the defensive frailties are the main issue at the moment -- although they are a worry -- as I am more annoyed, frustrated at our poor attacking play; there's no intent or zip in our play anymore, which is worrying.

Edited by Rousseau

Going forward ....

IMHO, the biggest problem we have right now is a) a plethora of attacking options and players, and b) a similar amount of peope being unfit (for one reason or another). Hence, we hardly have found our "core" line-up and thus we do lack cohesion. That usually comes with playing together for a number of games and getting to know one another. I don't think we started with the same attacking formation twice in a row in any of our competitive matches this season. Whipping up "better" line-up after each week's game will probably not end this revolving of players.

That said, we should have a spine around which we should build teams for home and away games, according to the opposition. I was firmly expecting (as opposed to wanting) a packed midfield yesterday, with Halliday and Barton protecting the back-4, plus three aggressive attackers like Windass, Waghorn, and Forrester. Garner showed that he is a handful too, so throw him in as well. Thus we would get a team that has technical skill as well as being able to defend, as all the above do track back when needed (which IMHO e.g. McKay and Miller did not do that much yesterday).

So you would have an tough-away-game select of ...

goalkeeper

Tavernier - CH - CH - Wallace/Hodson

Barton - Halliday

Waghorn - Windass - Forrester

Garner

NB: I rate either goalie as capable, so the pick is unnecessary. CHs ... well, it doesn't matter really.

Bring O'Halloran, McKay, Holt, Kranjcar and Miller/Dodoo on later, pending on scoreline and demand. Similarly, you can also start with O'Halloran on the right and Waghorn through the middle. Likewise, either holding midfielder could be subbed by Rossiter, even though these last few games that we had them, Barton and Rossiter did not exactly click. I do assume that Halliday will have it easier moving up field, should the chance present itself.

That is a sample aggressive but still technically good tough-away-game line-up. Hence, no McKay or Kranjcar from the start.

PS Gribz ... if you click on Go Advanced while writing a post, you will find a small icon to the right of U, that looks like an hourglass. If you mark the text that needs to be centred, you can click on that icon and it will do the rest. :thup:

Edited by der Berliner

When the lad Rossiter is 100% fit again, he would be in my starting eleven. Forrester too and we must persist with MOH imo.

In a game like yesterday's, I would agree on O'Halloran. He is less potent against teams that hide behind brickwalls and only attempt the odd counter attack. For he is pacy and direct, but won't outtrick or -dance a defender or two on a regular basis. IMHO.

The dust settling and I think we are still learning a lot about this new team. People have to remember we are still a new side and gelling. Our issues are obvious at the back, Senderos was brought in and had a nightmare debut but he isn't the first person to be sent off on an OF debut. The manager has to be doing some work with the defence on the training ground. Clint Hill was brought in with a wealth of experience and has to step up, the other option is Crooks and if he has an impact like his former Accrington team mate Windass then he will be a good addition.

Id like to see a few changes and going 4-1-4-1 which is adaptable and see something similar to this in the next game. Kranjcar is clearly off the pace and Barton hasn't fully adapted to the league yet. Up top Dodoo's injury is unfortmunate and he could be a good addition.

___________________________Foderingham_______________________

Tavenier__________Wilson______________Hill_____________Wallace

____________________________Rossiter____________________________

Waghorn__________Forrester______Holt_______________Windass

_____________________________Miller_____________________________

Would agree but with Garner for Miller.

I can think of at least three or four players who for want of a better word need rested. Some seem to think that our front line is the issue its not. The issue lays squarely in the centre of the park and W&W better sort it out pronto else we're in for a heck of a season yet again. Not necessarily based on Saturdays poor result but based on what I've seen this season so far.

Here's my 4-3-3 team set up.

Foderingham

Tavernier (Hodson)------------ Senderos ----- Hill-------------- Halliday (Wallace)

Holt------- Rossiter (Crooks)------- Forrester

Waghorn (O'Halloran, Dodoo)-------- Garner (Miller)--------- Windass (McKay)

I'll start with Foderingham although to be fair I'm leaning towards Gilks. Foderingham for me stands on his line too often leaving too much space in behind the CH's. As we know most games we'll have the ball for 60-70% possession and from what little I've seen of him Gilks for me plays this sweeper keeper role much better with his positional sense. Wallace defensive game seems to have deserted him recently and as far as I'm concerned he needs a rest albeit a controversial decision since he is the club captain who stood by us and rightly deserves the utmost respect however respect doesn't win games so sorry about that. I've covered his position with Halliday who would play anywhere just to wear the gersy. Unfortunately in the centre of the park he needs too many touches to bring the ball under control and he struggles with anything breaking to the right of the centre circle unless he's running on to it. Last year he got away with it as many of the teams we were up against were semi pro's lacking the pro fitness, speed and control so in this league where time and control is of the essence I want to play him but I find it difficult to put him in any other position other than as cover for Wallace.

Tav is a much better defensive performer when he has someone inside him that knows what they are doing Hodson, looks a decent buy if I'm honest, is a natural replacement if Tav should need to be rested or injured, suspended. There is no place in the team or on the bench for Kiernan or Wilson who are consistently caught under the ball or simply ball watching both players distribution is poor however Wilson edges it with the ability to recover in a last ditch tackle where as Kiernan is pretty much static. Neither men can jump to head clear cross balls and their timing at crosses is particularly poor. Folk have given Hill a hard time for losing Boyd during the Kilmarnock game when he scored but IMO it was Kiernan as usual stuck in no man's land not tracking his man that was the root issue leaving Hill looking way off the pace and scrambling. Kiernan was also at fault just ten minutes earlier when the same man Boyd inside the box pulled his shot wide of Foderinghams left hand post in fact most of the goals we have lost have come from the area of the pitch that Kiernan or Wilson were supposed to be covering no matter who they've been partnered with. Hill does lack pace and it showed against Burnley in the friendly but I do think he can do a job for us in the premier league if he is paired with Senderos.

Young Rossiter has for me looked every inch a player who can go on to great things if only they would play him without the nanny Barton sitting on his shoulder. Neither Barton or Kranjcar make my team either. In the case of Barton he's not performed particularly badly its just that he's not anywhere near the pace of the premier league just yet. He may eventually get up to speed but right now he's slowing the game down and reducing our quick pass and move attacking style to one or two breaks per game resulting in particularly poor service to the front line. We need the ball to move from our own third up through the phases much quicker and when both these players are in the team looking for that defence splitting pass from the halfway line since neither have the shunts to carry the ball themselves then it is nothing like they way W&W want us to play in short quick pass and move triangles round and about opposition midfield into the final third.

Jason Holts dynamism has been sorely missed this season so far only seen in short spells from either Windass, Forrester or young Rossiter and the sooner we can get him back in the team the better as far as I'm concerned. Windass from what I have seen looks like he could potentially be one of our better players and might I add no great transfer fee paid for him at £60,000. He's a unit with skill and pace to burn and would fit in seamlessly across a number of positions through out the six mid-forward line. This lad has the ability to hurt any team provided he gets the service. I've played him on the left of the front three McKays position where he was effective for Stanley. McKay is a smashing player when he can be bothered but so far this season he looks like he cant be bothered to take responsibility leaving it to other players.

The jury is still out for me on Dodoo. From what I've seen of him he could do a job on either wing but he is by no stretch of the imagination a centre in fact he's no where near a centre so for me he would have to fight for a place with Waghorn and O'Halloran who is another who fans call for to get a game. Personally I'm not impressed with him I see him as one dimensional. He can fair shift through the gears but what he has in pace he lacks in control. He looks fine when he is running onto a ball or when he is running in a straight line with the ball but that's pretty much it for me. I don't need to say much about Waghorn we all know how effective he can be coming in from the right and his link up work with Tav is exceptional at times.

Miller like him or loathe him always finds space but 70-80% of the time hasn't received the ball this season. His finishing leaves a lot to be desired but if he's not there to take the chances he does get then no one else is. His quality for me is that he'll track back to cover as far as LB or RB, he never hides win lose or draw. He's on my subs bench here so 60-70 minute mark is when I'd use him. Garner I haven't seen enough of yet but what I can say is if a centre has no service there's not much he can do about it. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now, based on his movement and endeavour, I feel he'll be there or there about to knock the ball home when we get our transition through the phases gelling right.

Finally the 4-3-3 can change to a 4-1-4-1 formation when either not in possession or against tougher teams not parking the bus

Foderingham

Tavernier (Hodson)------ Senderos ---- Hill------- Halliday (Wallace)

Rossiter (Crooks)

Waghorn (O'Halloran, Dodoo)------ Holt----- Forrester--------- Windass (McKay)

Garner (Miller)

without stating the obvious about our defensive frailties, we badly need to get the fast pace into our attacking strategy again. Yesterday it looked like some of our players had put those big heavy diving boots on.

MW has seemingly changed that to shore up our defence. But we're still leaking f**king stupid goals in spite of it but without the attacking 'zip' that we had last season.