Saltires were waved in the majority at Ibrox before the trouble started in Ireland. The Union Flag took over after that time. Probably the rise of the SNP sees it perceived by some as being somewhat toxic at our stadium - certainly I got criticised by a couple of fellow bears for taking one to a euro match a few years ago.

I waved a saltire with "Rangers FC" across it at Ibrox from 1961 onwards. It also went to Wembley with me 4 internationals in a row.

I had the unbelievable experience of having to defend my 6 year old son and myself from a couple of idiots at a game at Ibrox as they took umbrage at his tartan scarf. It was a freezing day and he wanted to wear his classic Royal Stewart tartan which he loved and to perfectly honest I didn't even think twice about it. More fool me. Upon hearing the silly abuse and then seeing his normally placid father being quite heated, he got distressed and we left half way through the game. Needless to say he has said that he never wants to go back to football ever again and tbh, I haven't gone back to Ibrox since.

PS. If you look at the footage of the fans in Barca 72, there are plenty of Lion Rampants and Saltires on display.

Stopped wearing scarf's years ago,have never worn or had a Rangers top and only recently bought a white "Founders Trail" polo shirt with logo on it.

Doesn't stop me being a true fan,as for Saltire it is our national flag and should be used in conjunction with union jack IMHO.

I don't really see the point of flying a flag of your country in a game against another team of your own country. In Europe it's different - where a Scottish flag would be appropriate but not really the union flag - especially as the English and Welsh won't let us join a British league.

I think doing so is a bit like usurping the flag of your nation for yourself which is pretty arrogant - and what England did with the union flag which made it so unpopular in Scotland for a while.

There is an argument that the country is correct and the colours correct for both flags...

One other argument is that when we play against Celtic - they are flying a flag of a different country and have an anti-British and Scottish sentiment, so flying both flags at those games have more of a point, and I find it very strange that other teams are not offended by their enmity towards our populace, and fly the flags also.

But it doesn't work in the rest of the league except perhaps against Hibs - and a lot of our singing repertoire then, makes it look as if we are defined by them - something we are always accusing them of.

IIRC when I was young, the predominant Rangers flags were actually French - just for the colours, maybe with an RFC motif on the white part. Mine certainly was.

I don't get flying flags from other places that are to do with that place - like the Red Hand of Ulster... We're a Scottish team, so while not being Scottish and following the team is fine, I don't think it's appropriate to fly a foreign flag, as it kind of insults the home nation of the team - if you support an English team would you take a Scottish flag to the game? I don' think that would be appropriate, nor a St George's Cross to a Scottish game.

The same goes for players wrapping themselves in their foreign national flags when they win something - it's not really that bad but it is just wrong in my eyes. There is a time and a place.