Sorry I don't. Could be a lot of OO members support our club as do a lot of my bowling club members. Both have nothing to do with the club.

Well, I see your angle and am of a similar inclination, as I for don't see the need to affiliate the club with a set religion or political view or the like. I would even argue that the club as such has shed that protestant "attitude" some 20odd years ago. Still, the support is steeped in that tradition, probably less so now than 30 or 20 years ago, but I don't exactly mind people going along with that. UNLESS they have the dire need to portray it as the "one and only way" and "one and only true heritage". But that is not really the case. Thus, why not accept these people in the support instead of trying to be exclusive? Which would be equally wrong, IMHO.

Well, I see your angle and am of a similar inclination, as I for don't see the need to affiliate the club with a set religion or political view or the like. I would even argue that the club as such has shed that protestant "attitude" some 20odd years ago. Still, the support is steeped in that tradition, probably less so now than 30 or 20 years ago, but I don't exactly mind people going along with that. UNLESS they have the dire need to portray it as the "one and only way" and "one and only true heritage". But that is not really the case. Thus, why not accept these people in the support instead of trying to be exclusive? Which would be equally wrong, IMHO.

And the club was never born with it and grew to about 50 until it took on that attitude in reaction to Celtic. So, I am glad that we shed it (if we did - I have my doubts going by this thread and the songs we sing) as it'd be depressing to have them setting our agenda.

It is our heritage.

Really Pete, "our" heritage? Speak for yourself, it's not mine.

EDIT Ah, see later in the thread you were being sarcastic, apologies.

Edited by JohnMc
didn't read the whole thread

And the club was never born with it and grew to about 50 until it took on that attitude in reaction to Celtic. So, I am glad that we shed it (if we did - I have my doubts going by this thread and the songs we sing) as it'd be depressing to have them setting our agenda.

Well, it is sometimes hard to get some rousing songs like the loyalist stuff, e.g. Derry's Walls. But saying that, I'm not sure how many sing this or other songs of that pedigree with anything more than Bluenose togetherness, banter, sing-along and defiance et al in mind. Not that Penny Arcade has much to do with the club etc. ... only the cry "step up and play" might be a reasonable explanation.

Well, it is sometimes hard to get some rousing songs like the loyalist stuff, e.g. Derry's Walls. But saying that, I'm not sure how many sing this or other songs of that pedigree with anything more than Bluenose togetherness, banter, sing-along and defiance et al in mind. Not that Penny Arcade has much to do with the club etc. ... only the cry "step up and play" might be a reasonable explanation.

Yes, I think there's a lot of that in it. They are rousing songs, no question and you feel like a brotherhood cheering on your team. What percentage actually care re the words and what they mean, I know not. It'd be interesting to know and to compare with when I stared going (mid 60s) and when I went on buses etc (c 73 ff). We often have threads asking why we are so disliked - well a lot of folk dislike us precisely because of these songs and affiliations. For some reason the other lot get sympathy for their 'beliefs' while we get antipathy,

I'd rather that there was none of it at all on either side and that there was not the ridiculous situation of state funded segregated schooling. I've wished these things for c 45 years. I've pretty much given up hope of seeing them happen in my lifetime.

I'm a troll because I see no connnection with this OO march in N.I.? Best you explain the reasons for this banner and what it has to do with our game versus PT.

You knew when you seen the banner to associate it with an OO march in Ulster, so you know the story there.

That banner made a statement. What is wrong with that? If it carried no interest for you, ignore it. It was not exhorting you to do anything, say anything, join anything or in any way take you out of your comfort zone.

You know fine well the connection between Rangers and the PUL community, no need to retrace that.

Very often in the past the only corner of the ground that generated any kind of atmosphere during a dull game would be that corner housing the Union Bears. You know what to expect from them.

One banner containing a non-political, non-religious, non-confrontational message and you want to generate a faux outrage thread?

Maybe you could take a video of the atmosphere at your bowling club and get the global Rangers' support to buy into that as a standard.

You knew when you seen the banner to associate it with an OO march in Ulster, so you know the story there.

That banner made a statement. What is wrong with that? If it carried no interest for you, ignore it. It was not exhorting you to do anything, say anything, join anything or in any way take you out of your comfort zone.

You know fine well the connection between Rangers and the PUL community, no need to retrace that.

Very often in the past the only corner of the ground that generated any kind of atmosphere during a dull game would be that corner housing the Union Bears. You know what to expect from them.

One banner containing a non-political, non-religious, non-confrontational message and you want to generate a faux outrage thread?

Maybe you could take a video of the atmosphere at your bowling club and get the global Rangers' support to buy into that as a standard.

I'm not a liar. I could not make out what the banner said and had no idea it had anything to with the OO. The banner did not take me out of my comfort zone as you seem to think, I did not know what it was about.

I did not mention anything about the atmosphere at the game. I fail to see how a banner about a OO march is non religious and I still say it has nothing to do with the club and probably the majority of fans. Rangers support is a broad church and I believe is in line with belief/non belief in Scottish society in general.

Wait wait wait....

Barca72... Genuine question....

If the banner was about the OO how on earth can you claim it is non-religious when in the other thread you are claiming the hanging effigy, being of someone with a sash, is a religious hate crime ?

If the banner is about the OO does that not make it religious ? And if the answer is no then surely the atoms could argue it wasn't religious too ??

Educate me