Is the Warburton magic starting to fade?

Another dour Monday after another heavy defeat from Celtic. Yes, it wasn't 1-5 this time but although we defended quite well, the gulf in quality between the teams was arguably just as big as the corresponding fixture last month. With that in mind, it was disconcerting to hear the manager and key players say any gap was minimal when, quite clearly, we struggled to compete for 90mins in both games. I'm all for optimism and positivity but I sincerely hope there's a more realistic appraisal at Auchenhowie today.

Fortunately, there were positives as well. Matt Gilks was excellent and the defence were reasonably solid in front of him. Clint Hill again led the unit well whilst Kiernan and Hodson both stuck to their duties by and large. In midfield we also worked hard enough and I don't think anyone can fault the effort of the players. The problem is, our efforts were all too often of low quality. First and foremost we didn't retain the ball well enough and, much like the game in September, we struggled to lay a glove on Celtic in an attacking sense. Sure, we had one or two late chances but the fact Craig Gordon didn't have a save of real note to make in the game says a lot about just how dominant Celtic were. Add in their eight corners to our one and their 24 shots to our eight then Barrie McKay was wrong to say we matched them.

Before the game, the most interesting debate was the manager's decision to finally show all his talk about only ever having one plan wasn't entirely sincere. For the first time since his arrival in Glasgow, he opted for an orthodox 4-5-1 - deploying Hodson at right back and moving James Tavernier into right midfield. Meanwhile, Jason Holt and Josh Windass were tasked with supporting lone striker Kenny Miller in attack and having the mobility to track back also. Such a tactical change was perhaps understandable given the result in the last Celtic match but it could be argued it afforded too much respect to the opposition fresh from a 0-2 reverse in midweek. You can vote in the poll below as to various questions in this piece...

Certainly from the first minute Celtic looked in confident mood and were on the front foot - employing the same high press that caused us issues last month. Unfortunately for us, the recent knee injury to Niko Kranjcar meant that unlike last week's game in Inverness, we were unable to pass our way through (or around) this press. Indeed, more often than not, we conceded the ball far too cheaply with Windass, McKay and Holt all too easily swamped on the ball. Add in distribution errors from Tavernier, Wallace and Halliday then we were often the cause of our own troubles as Celtic countered quickly and more efficiently. In saying that genuine opportunities for either side were few and far between in the first half.

The second period was more open but again we lacked any conviction on the ball and conceded possession and territory far too easily. As such, Celtic had lots of chances and only a combination of poor finishing, excellent goalkeeping and last-ditch defending delayed the winning goal until the last few minutes with only a blocked Jason Holt shot and a just-missed volley from Joe Garner in reply. In general our subs didn't really affect the game with Waghorn and Dodoo as wasteful as anyone else when they did get the ball. Suffice to say Celtic deserved their win and there's not a lot we can take from the game other than we continue to struggle through a season of inconsistency.

Consequently, our fans are now turning their attention to the manager - as well as the signings made over the summer. I don't think any bear wants to be overly critical at this point but perhaps the best indication of our frustration is the disappearance of the Warburton magic hat song. Love it or loathe it, last season this fun chant was heard regularly as Rangers won the vast majority of their games - not just with good football but with goals aplenty. Yes, there were bad results (and the campaign finished particularly poorly) but there was lots to be positive about heading into this season. With our sporadic form since, it's no coincidence this song has largely disappeared now.

Interestingly though, the summer went reasonably well and I think most fans were happy enough with most of the signings made - if concerned that we left it too late to secure our primary requirements of a quality centre half and striker. The only problem with our transfer work was the risk involved. Joey Barton was (is?) a top player but was always going to be gamble - one we appear to have lost. In addition, while Hill and Kranjcar would bring much-needed experience, there would be questions over their fitness. Similarly, Dodoo, Rossiter, Windass and Crooks appeared to be exciting younger players but could they cope with the demands of playing for a club like Rangers? Finally, the very late captures of Joe Garner and Philippe Senderos suggested our main targets had been exhausted and we were well down the manager's list of preferred signings. All in all, eleven players arrived but, so far at least, none have been an obvious success. That's a valid worry.

On the other hand, I'm not so sure it's really fair to judge them all less than three months into the season. Not many players settle quickly into a club facing the demands of success-starved Rangers fans - just ask the likes of Mark Hateley and Ally McCoist! As much as our budget may be higher than most of our peers in the Premiership, it was always going to take a period of time to adjust to a higher quality of opposition - including fitter, faster players more capable of dealing with our system. In that sense, it was up to us to adapt and, as it stands, we're not doing a good job of that - new players or not.

In turn, this means criticism of the manager is inevitable and, as it stands, Mark Warburton appears to be struggling to deal with this. I'm not Chris Sutton and I'd like to think the manager respects fan opinions more than bitter ex-Celtic players but even a broken clock tells the right time twice a day. Consequently when the manager starts falling out with the media on a weekly basis (no matter how frustrating their line of questioning) and blaming officials for defeats (no matter how wrong their decisions) that infers the pressure is starting to build. Add in opaque bust ups with marquee signings and the tacit admittance that our team needs to be more flexible via formation changes then are the seams starting to open on the manager's magic hat?

For example, the manager has (rightly) spoken about our need for the players to be braver on the ball when pressed high up the pitch by other teams. This means taking the ball in, shielding it well and finding colleagues quickly to make the most of any space we do have. Against Inverness we did this very well but on Sunday we again struggled. Was this a result of better opposition, a lack of bravery from the players or our inability to cope with a change of our own system? And, just how brave was the manager when he opted for a 4-5-1 instead of going toe-to-toe with Celtic's 4-3-3? So far at least, it seems Warburton has blinked first in his duel with Brendan Rodgers.

We can take this tactical uncertainty one step further with the obvious fact the manager seems to be struggling with his preferred team. Issues with injury and player suspensions aside, there's been a real lack of continuity in the team this season. This may well account for our lack of goals and our problems at the back. Quite simply if players don't develop an understanding then our system breaks down far too easily. Similarly, if someone like Waghorn is moved about constantly, how can we expect his level of consistency to be of a suitable level? In addition, how many games do under-performing players like McKay and Wallace get before an alternative is explored? Both these players were key to our form last season and their lack of same this term perhaps highlights as much as anything else why we're failing to do as well this season. But they shouldn't be immune to the bench.

In conclusion, the manager has some big decisions ahead of him as the season goes on. Despite some understandable negativity, I believe most fans are still prepared to give him time to address the issues above and I'm also confident he will. For example, we've been very poor defensively for a long time but I think the manager has helped improve that over the last month or two. Even in the last two games with injury to Danny Wilson we've managed to cope with the different players brought in. Hopefully Warburton can now do the same further forward in the team whilst finding a more settled core XI. It's certainly essential that we obtain the right blend going forward and we have the ideal opportunity to turn things around with two quick home games this week - having not lost at home in over a year. The clock is ticking though and it's now time the manager showed us some new tricks...

http://www.gersnet.co.uk/index.php/news-category/current-affairs/699-is-the-warburton-magic-starting-to-fade

He needs to hold his hands up and admit hes got some things wrong and we haven't been playing as well as we could. But for me he gets to the end of the season. We have been unlucky with injuries and other factors but we haven't been close to pass marks so far.

I really like Warburton but the way he handled the whole Barton situation - made me start to question if he has the character to be a Rangers manager.

Walter Smith would have punished Barton and welcomed him back into the fold but the whole indefinite suspension strikes me as petty.

I never saw the game yesterday as my wife and I were welcoming our first son into the world however when I read the teamsheet I was baffled by the selection.

Could the change of formation be a result of the reported "debate" at training? Was the change in formation a managerial decision or was he pressured into it by the players?

I still think we have enough in the locker to finish second (by some distance I may add) but with no Kranjcar or Barton in the foreseeable future we have no quality players that can help us push Celtic this season.

I really like Warburton but the way he handled the whole Barton situation - made me start to question if he has the character to be a Rangers manager.

Walter Smith would have punished Barton and welcomed him back into the fold but the whole indefinite suspension strikes me as petty.

I never saw the game yesterday as my wife and I were welcoming our first son into the world however when I read the teamsheet I was baffled by the selection.

Could the change of formation be a result of the reported "debate" at training? Was the change in formation a managerial decision or was he pressured into it by the players?

I still think we have enough in the locker to finish second (by some distance I may add) but with no Kranjcar or Barton in the foreseeable future we have no quality players that can help us push Celtic this season.

Congrats mate on the birth of a new Rangers fan:clap:

The Barton business is causing me to have doubts. Not the indefinite suspension- I suspect Barton is an indefinite offender - but the signing. If Warburton wanted him I reckon that shows poor judgement of the player and the man. If somebody else wanted him, why did MW agree?

There is history of good man managers coping with problem children. Walter with Gazzza, Stein with Willie Hamilton. I don't know if MW is good at man management but Barton is a problem adult, not a problem child and I suspect is beyond management.