Oliver Burke tips Rangers star Barrie McKay to win big-money move out of Scotland

OLI WAY TO THE TOP Oliver Burke tips Rangers star Barrie McKay to win big-money move out of Scotland

The 22-year-old winger was the only Gers player to trouble RB Leipzig in Sunday’s friendly match in Germany

OLIVER BURKE reckons there’s every chance Barrie McKay can become the next big money Scottish transfer.

The 22-year-old was the only Rangers player to trouble RB Leipzig in Sunday’s friendly match in Germany.

The winger is undoubtedly back to his best, drawing praise too from Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers after Gers’ 2-1 defeat in the Hogmanay Old Firm derby.

Burke, who broke the Scottish transfer record when he made his life-changing £13million switch to the Bundesliga in August, believes that his Scotland team-mate has the talent to take him to the top.

Burke said: “Barrie played very well and had a good match against us.“I don’t know him all that well, but he is capable of anything he wants to do. He’s a good quality player and I believe if he keeps working hard and keeps showing what he’s capable of then he could play at the top level in England.“I don’t see why not. If he continues playing his game for Rangers, anything is possible. He’s a great player and he’s shown that.”

“To win the game on my first start in the Red Bull Arena was a great feeling for me.“Scoring against Glasgow Rangers is a good feeling too.

“It was a great atmosphere as well, which was nice.

“I thought Rangers dug in very well. They showed good quality at times. They are a good team. We won the game, but they showed quality.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/449446/oliver-burke-tips-rangers-star-barrie-mckay-to-win-big-money-move-out-of-scotland/

We were discussing this post match.

Mackay is the only player we have right now that MIGHT get a game for Celtic.

I think he'd struggle against strong players in the EPL but in Germany or other European Leagues he might find his skill harnessed to the team tactics. He showed Leipzig that he could beat their players with ease; they and others like them have the quality to take advantage of his play, sadly we don't.

It would not surprise me in the least if RBL made a bid for him.

So are we going to expect "£10m McKay" headlines now?

Get a figure in the media. 20 million. We wont get that but even 20 million is nothing to the top English teams now. I'd rather he stayed as if we want to challenge Celtic then he'll be massive for us but if he goes, lets get what we deserve. Offer a new bumper deal with a 20 million release clause. Sellick are talking about 5 million for Bitton who doesn't even get a game for them. It'd be criminal to let McKay go on the cheap

People may have forgotten that Barrie has only recently got to the form of last season. He's not as sub-standard as Tav any longer, but he's far from what he is capapble of. I was rather surprised by the contribution he's made in the RBL game, earning praise from the German commentator all game. Some cynical may say that he saw what Burke has achieved and might look for something similar himself ... and hence there has not been a signature under a new contract. I do find it a touch strange when people lay much of the "blame" at the board's doorstep when it comes to contract extensions. It always takes two (or with the agent involved three) to get this done. And I doubt Barrie ain't clever here. Miller and Hill have done admirably under the circumstances and to get them for another season would not harm us in any way or form.

And, while I am at it, while I do debate quite a bit about people's standards, I would not go as far as checking whether they would go into a Celtic team. They aren't as good as people make them out to be and are sure not a standard we or our players should aspire. Whether they dominate the Scottish league at this moment and time or not. We ... should aspire to reach the quality, standards and consistency of Rangers teams of the past or the likes of RBL.