Warburton apologises but are we in for the long haul?

Walterbear ... DK here, board there, what is the plan.

Help yourself to this and read what is possible, what might be possible, and what is impossible ... at this moment in time:

http://www.gersnet.co.uk/index.php/news-category/current-affairs/728-a-pint-of-the-cold-hard-truth

The (monetary) highway is in sight and we see loads of clubs racing on it. Yet, we're are still on our rocky country road and the barrow we pull is full of unwanted baggage that sadly enough, won't go away anytime soon. King is but the driver, not the owner of our business.

Edited by der Berliner

All the goals were entirely avoidable. Although Walker certainly finished his chances well, they were the result of our balls-ups. I know the line about all goals being the result of a mistake somewhere but those were fucking embarrassing, to be honest. I'm not calling for the manager's head at all and I fully appreciate that we are where we are in terms of rebuilding and finances. But it's that's the sort of stuff that loses managers jobs (especially as we score so few that we can't accommodate defensive flakiness).

I agree with that, but to say Hearts were poor is wrong. People haven't been watching what's going on there, however paradoxically what went on last night is a carbon copy of went on the last game there with us, with Nielsen's last game in charge of them,. Cathro obviously copied the game plan, but i would contend he added to it by Hearts playing better football, however i'm ready to be shot down?

I agree with that, but to say Hearts were poor is wrong. People haven't been watching what's going on there, however paradoxically what went on last night is a carbon copy of went on the last game there with us, with Nielsen's last game in charge of them,. Cathro obviously copied the game plan, but i would contend he added to it by Hearts playing better football, however i'm ready to be shot down?

I don't think hearts were poor but it's hard to be objective when we were so completely shite. The frustration is we got ourselves back into it and looked ok before shooting ourselves in the genitalia at the start of the second. What bothers me, and bothered me at the beginning of the season, is that teams seem to manage to press us high and defend deep against us. That shouldn't be possible.

I think what went wrong was we played the wrong tactics on a heavy pitch and let hearts get on top from the start. I don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water and resort to highland league tactics but we simply cannot play the same tactics in every situation with the quality of player we have. Fine style of football if we are playing at Ibrox every week on a sunny day with a perfect pitch but the manager needs a reality check. We need to rebalance the squad with more physicality and better leaders to allow us to counter certain teams and individuals but we only have money for a small squad. It's a catch 22. I wish warburton would be more direct in his answers but I fear now that his management style internally is non-confrontational which isn't always appropriate in team sport. JB was a basket case and I dislike him (I know folk from his estate and his network of people are avoided - where possible) but there was an element of reality in that whole fall out with JB which has been ignored and it is that these guys are not up to the job in terms of concentration, experience and ability.

Waghorn presents a danger to passing seagulls and his own shoe laces, Halliday doesn't have the ability or concentration (he asked wes for the ball for their second then switched off!) tav can't concentrate, kiernan doesn't concentrate, McKay is not a player for last nights conditions, windass is an Accrington player and not much more, we can't score goals and we make poor decisions constantly, no one can cross a ball, no one is in the box if we do manage a cross etc etc. I could go on however the point is that even if we decided to change style I don't think we have the physicality or experience in our squad to play differently. So MW needs to see that (if he can't he should leave before being pushed) and say to DK that he can do this differently if he has the cash and DK has to say yes or no and clarify that the court cases are holding us back or clarify that he has no intention to spend more money.

I have to disagree about the pitch - that's a poor mans excuse.

1st of all, these are professional players we're talking about, guys paid thousands per week to play football. If the players can't adapt to different conditions then they shouldn't be playing professionally.

2nd, Hearts were playing on the exact same pitch & passed us "oot the park". Put simply, their passing & movement was 100x better than ours.

The tactics weren't great, but the execution of the tactic was terrible. Hearts were right in our players faces right from kick-off & we couldn't cope with that. We were on the back foot for the whole game.

I do agree about the concentration levels though....too many players were just too relaxed about everything.

He has to utilise the wider market, there are good players to be had regardless of lack of funds, it's time he entered the continental market, Hearts had a Portuguese, Greek and an Austrian last night, we have to dabble in foreign markets, Australians are always reliable, it's time he looked away from lower league England because although he has contacts there the results haven't been encouraging. Hearts had 6 new players in and they all fought well, something we could never have managed.

Walterbear ... DK here, board there, what is the plan.

Help yourself to this and read what is possible, what might be possible, and what is impossible ... at this moment in time:

http://www.gersnet.co.uk/index.php/news-category/current-affairs/728-a-pint-of-the-cold-hard-truth

The (monetary) highway is in sight and we see loads of clubs racing on it. Yet, we're are still on our rocky country road and the barrow we pull is full of unwanted baggage that sadly enough, won't go away anytime soon. King is but the driver, not the owner of our business.

Thanks DB I hadn't read that article although I understood in bits from various sources a good bit of the content but very helpful to see presented so concisely and worth bookmarking so thanks again.

I would still like to see this narrative superimposed on the football plan and communicated effectively to the fan base. My concern in absence of such a joined up narrative is that we have lots of dissension and or disinformation.

I am personally of the view that qualifying for Europe is an acceptable end of term result and would warrant a continuation of the football management team but I would like to understand better whether or not the football dept and the operations and business side are properly joined up. We need better communication at a level that is not sound bites and is not also over complicated.

I can accept and understand everyone's hands are tied but I want to know more about how the vision will be realised over the next 1,5,10 years. For example will we continue to play the same style (with evidence of how we do that through the ranks) and will we gradually improve or will we adopt varying playing tactics but have a core philosophy and what is our high level business plan to get us there.

Like everyone I am incredibly disappointed about the manner of the defeat last night. Whilst I understand DK is not the owner he is the de facto leader and needs to communicate more and better. I can understand the lack of investment but there appears to be a void in visible leadership which is unacceptable. Hence the rubbish you read in the media and the exploitation of our situation by certain bloggers.

And breath.......!

He has to utilise the wider market, there are good players to be had regardless of lack of funds, it's time he entered the continental market, Hearts had a Portuguese, Greek and an Austrian last night, we have to dabble in foreign markets, Australians are always reliable, it's time he looked away from lower league England because although he has contacts there the results haven't been encouraging. Hearts had 6 new players in and they all fought well, something we could never have managed.

I agree with this scotjo. MW claims that foreign players take more time to settle compared to the UK based players he's been procuring, well Ian Cathro just burst that bubble.

I am very stubborn in my work life and I find it difficult to swallow my pride and change my philosophy on certain things so I get it. But it must be done, different situations demand different solutions and he needs to find a solution now. He simply doesn't have the players to deploy his Barca approach.

Man ... you look at NewsNow and see the headlines of papers and BBC et al ... how gladly do they take defeats like last night and some outburst from fanboards to envisage and spell doom galore for Warburton's Ibrox reign. Waited for that ever since he took over and gleefully go ballistic. What a sad and pathetic bunch ... and look he are prime choir masters:

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/SPFL/Rangers

Warburton reign enters testing times BBC 19:40

Don’t Get Five Points For Beating Top Teams – Rangers Boss Mark Warburton Downplays Hearts Loss Inside Futbol 18:11

Celtic And Aberdeen The Big Winners In Uefa Euros Payout But Rangers Land Just £7000 Daily Record 18:09

Rangers trouncing at Tynecastle had a distinct feeling of end times for Mark Warburton's Ibrox… Daily Record 17:49

Mark Warburton has taken Rangers back to Ally McCoist territory - Hotline Daily Record 16:39

Is Hearts defeat the final straw for Rangers fans? HITC 14:39

‘Where are all the Cathro haters today then?’ Hearts fans react on Twitter as they smash Rangers The Transfer Tavern 13:58

Rangers defender Rob Kiernan was an absolute embarrassment against Hearts - Tam McManus Daily Record 13:17

Rangers boss Mark Warburton struggles on after humbling night at Tynecastle - Keith Jackson's… Daily Record 11:22

I agree with this scotjo. MW claims that foreign players take more time to settle compared to the UK based players he's been procuring, well Ian Cathro just burst that bubble.

I am very stubborn in my work life and I find it difficult to swallow my pride and change my philosophy on certain things so I get it. But it must be done, different situations demand different solutions and he needs to find a solution now. He simply doesn't have the players to deploy his Barca approach.

True that, when i was playing football in my Easterhouse days, i went out thinking i was Pele and tried to play like Pele, being Easterhouse i usually ended up playing like Mohammed Ally. But if i was allowed to play like Pele i would have and got signed up by Rangers as it was i was a regular at the boxing club haha. Horses for courses.

Edited by aweebluesoandso