McLeish at Ibrox

McLeish will be fine by me...he won us our only treble to date in this millennium. He also guided Rangers into the knockout stages of the CL for the first and only time..

He also holds two other unique managerial records.

1. Aston Villa: A club record of only four home wins in a season.

2. Rangers: A club record of 10 games without a win.

It needs to be remembered too that towards the ends of his time as Rangers manager severe financial cutbacks were being made which impacted his ability to do the job

He made our club 14 million from taking over til leaving. Think about that. And what happened not long after. Our only ever manager in net profit I believe.

I've no problem with folk not wanting him. My preference is FdB but he doesn't want it right now so we need to look elsewhere. People have short memories and need to be aware where we are.

After he won the treble he was offered the Spurs job but he turned it down knowing he was going to be hamstrung by selling our best players and trying to compete. Because he was a Rangers man. The very least he deserves is a clean slate. Getting on his back, 'hanging up your scarf' or 'I'll not be back', yeah that attitude isn't going to get us anywhere. We've been great at sticking together in recent years and turning out in numbers. It MUST continue regardless of who's in charge

He made our club 14 million from taking over til leaving. Think about that. And what happened not long after. Our only ever manager in net profit I believe.

I've no problem with folk not wanting him. My preference is FdB but he doesn't want it right now so we need to look elsewhere. People have short memories and need to be aware where we are.

After he won the treble he was offered the Spurs job but he turned it down knowing he was going to be hamstrung by selling our best players and trying to compete. Because he was a Rangers man. The very least he deserves is a clean slate. Getting on his back, 'hanging up your scarf' or 'I'll not be back', yeah that attitude isn't going to get us anywhere. We've been great at sticking together in recent years and turning out in numbers. It MUST continue regardless of who's in charge

F deB would be high cost IMO. Himself & players he'd want to sign including their salaries. Not to say he's not a good manager but I'm not convinced we can do that just now.

As I said earlier in McLeish we'd be getting a more experienced & knowledgeable manager than the one who left 10 years ago but he's going to need all his contacts to get the calibre of players we'll need to be title challengers on a budget much less than the yahoos.

Edited by RANGERRAB

Big Eck is purely an impact manager in his early days at any job and both SBS and Harleys posts have factual info about them. In his 5 years at Ibrox we had great times and bad times.

He is a yes for me until the end of the season. There is nobody else to come in straight away (unless Harry Redknapp fancies it then Id bite the hand off). But only until the end of the season and a new long term approach next season is a must even if FdB doesn't take it.

Alex Rae as number two is a depressing one and the worst decision out of anything. The man McLeish was sitting next to in the studio is a far more appealing option (not Tanner BTW). Or someone like Ray Wilkins or Steve Clarke who have been good assistants in the past and both available.

Aye for old boys like you that are used to outside rights, inside forwards, strikers and play a 2-3-5 formation :ninja:

True enough, as a boy I watched: Ritchie, Shearer, Caldow; Davis, Paterson, Baxter; Scott (Henderson), McMillan, Millar Brand and Wilson. When Andy Penman came into the team at inside right, he and Baxter were the midfield "2", but even before that Ian McMillan played deep and Jimmy Millar and Ralph Brand effectively were the "strikers" of their era.

Ah memories........

McLeish will be fine by me...he won us our only treble to date in this millennium. He also guided Rangers into the knockout stages of the CL for the first and only time..

He also holds two other unique managerial records.

1. Aston Villa: A club record of only four home wins in a season.

2. Rangers: A club record of 10 games without a win.

On the other hand, after the 1-0 loss to Maritimo in Madeira, IIRC with Boumsong anchoring the defence, did we not go on a run of 6 games without losing a goal?

Big Eck is purely an impact manager in his early days at any job and both SBS and Harleys posts have factual info about them. In his 5 years at Ibrox we had great times and bad times.

He is a yes for me until the end of the season. There is nobody else to come in straight away (unless Harry Redknapp fancies it then Id bite the hand off). But only until the end of the season and a new long term approach next season is a must even if FdB doesn't take it.

Alex Rae as number two is a depressing one and the worst decision out of anything. The man McLeish was sitting next to in the studio is a far more appealing option (not Tanner BTW). Or someone like Ray Wilkins or Steve Clarke who have been good assistants in the past and both available.

I'd take Redknapp too tbh but does he have the desire for it anymore? Govans a long way from Sandbanks in Poole.

He won the league in his 4th season with us and the league cup in his 3rd season with Brum. I get your point about him hitting the ground running in jobs, he does tend to do that. Surely that's a good thing for us.

I really think we need to forget the past. Good and bad. Get behind whoever takes this job. There are enough folk shooting us down without us doing it ourselves.