Rangers fans would have killed me for being Catholic' - Daily Record

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/rangers-fans-would-killed-being-9810893

Unbelievable pish again from the Rdcord. Rangers - Boycott this rag!

SPORT

'Rangers fans would have killed me for being Catholic': Gers legend Don Kitchenbrand speaks out on Ibrox secret

Nicknamed 'the Rhino', the South African striker, now 83 and living in a suburb of Johannesburg, has revealed he kept quiet about his religion because of Rangers' infamous signing policy of that era.

BYMARK WALKER

15:51, 13 FEB 2017UPDATED15:56, 13 FEB 2017

Don Kitchenbrand starring for Rangers

Don Kitchenbrand starring for Rangers

Get Daily updates directly to your inbox

+ Subscribe

Rangers legend Don Kitchenbrand has sensationally claimed that he would have been 'killed' had Ibrox fans found out he was a Catholic.

The South African striker signed for Rangers in 1955 and scored an impressive 24 goals in 25 league games as the Ibrox side romped to the Scottish League title, earning him 'The Rhino' nickname.

After a few years in Glasgow, Kitchenbrand was sold to Sunderland for a then-huge fee of £8,000 and also bagged plenty of goals in England.

Now 83 and living in a suburb of Johannesburg in his native South Africa, Kitchenbrand has revealed he kept quiet about his Catholic religion because of Rangers' infamous signing policy of that era.

Kitchenbrand said: "I played there for four years and didn’t say a word about it.

"They probably would have killed me."

Rangers reportedly had an unwritten rule in their signing policy from the 1920s until 1989 where they would not sign Catholic players, although that has subsequently been the the subject of fierce debate.

READ MORE

Rangers have been made to look a nasty club with the antics of Dave King and the board - Hotline

John Spencer signed for the Ibrox club as a 12-year-old Catholic schoolboy was a fringe player at the club until the policy was smashed once and for all by the headline-grabbing capture of former Celtic hero Mo Johnston by Graeme Souness .

And Kitchenbrand, in an interview with a local South African newspaper, revealed how he got his own back on Scottish fans, after racist abuse.

Graeme Souness signs Maurice Johnston for Rangers in shock 1989 move

Graeme Souness signs Maurice Johnston for Rangers in shock 1989 move (Photo: Daily Record)

He explained: "A story leaked to the press about me receiving some biltong from South Africa after a training session.

"There was some backlash from the Queen of the South supporters with some sending me notes to ‘go back to your jungle country and eat your dried meat.'

"I replied by scoring five goals past them that day."

ADVERTISEMENT

Kitchenbrand even returned to Scotland in the early 1960 for a brief spell with Forfar Athletic before returning to his South African homeland.

Edited by StuGers