Alex McLeish vs Warburton CVs

McLeish - SPL winner 2003 & 2005

Scottish Cup 2002, 2003

League Cup 2002, 2003 & 2005

Treble 2003 (last manager in Scottish football to do so)

Champions League Last 16 (only Rangers manager to do this in current format)

English League Cup with Birmingham

Scotland manager beat France away, finished 2 points behind World Cup finalists.

Warburton..?

The circumstances facing us today are very similar to in 2002. Dick Advocaat's team played the best football I have ever seen as a Rangers fan, but his time was up at the end of 2001. Celtic were "light years" ahead of us, had won 1 treble and were on course for another under a top manager with more money to spend than us. Under Martin O'Neill they won 22 games in a row in the league. They looked unstoppable, but we did stop them. A new voice in the dressing room and suddenly players like Ricksen, de Boer, Amoruso, Lovenkrands, etc started looking like players again. I know we don't have players that good these days, but then again neither do Celtic. When big Eck won the treble in 2003, it was against one of the best Celtic teams ever - who got to the UEFA Cup final. Yet arguably his biggest achievement was winning the league in 2005, on a much smaller budget with players like Marvin Andrews, Nacho Novo and Alex Rae. And Dado Prso - surely the best Bosman signing ever in the SPL??

Of course it all petered out in the end, but that happens to all managers. It is extremely rare to get a successful manager who wins things over decades, like Sir Alex Ferguson or Arsene Wenger. Success at a club like Rangers is lasting 4 years. Giving McLeish the job now is a "no-brainer" as I reckon we have good players, but they have been suffering under a manager who completely refused to change his tactics, when it was blatantly obvious that every other team in the SPL had worked out how to beat them. Yes I would love to see somebody like Frank de Boer in charge in the summer - mainly because he would surely have contacts across Europe and in Holland who could get him VFM players who could win us the title and be sold for profit a few years later. However even if we could afford him, it would still be a gamble - and he would probably be holding out for a better offer elsewhere anyway. Get McLeish in for 6 months - and if he wins the Scottish Cup again, make him permanent manager!

Id rather have Warburton

Got to disagree GS. I'm not sure Mcleish is the answer long term but right now he's the safest option. MW had to go and would have went soon anyway. His time was up.

I was also surprised when I read players had been contacting him. Their body language looked like they had chucked it with him. To me there were at least 50% who had ceased to buy into his philosophy.

Time will tell as always?

Warburton is away; and despite his "CV" is unlikely to -will not- return. Indeed, if only a fraction of what is flying around is true, then he should have been shown the door, and we may wish him 'Good riddance'.

Big Eck did not leave Ibrox in like manner. Nonetheless, he is grim to listen to, and his football, ultimately, was grim to watch, with i I r c little to redeem it, over his tenure.

Interim appointments should be viewed with caution.

Got to disagree GS. I'm not sure Mcleish is the answer long term but right now he's the safest option. MW had to go and would have went soon anyway. His time was up.

I was also surprised when I read players had been contacting him. Their body language looked like they had chucked it with him. To me there were at least 50% who had ceased to buy into his philosophy.

Time will tell as always?

Can anyone explain to me what is remotely safe about McLeish? The guy's been sacked FOUR times in the last five and a bit years. And that's not including Birmingham who he left after relegating twice. He proved beyond any doubt with us that he's an atrocious manager, so what more do you want him to show you?

McLeish back in charge would honestly be my very worst nightmare come to fruition. I've said this for years on here. He's just a complete dud and watching us in the final season was hellish.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

Can anyone explain to me what is remotely safe about McLeish? The guy's been sacked FOUR times in the last five and a bit years. And that's not including Birmingham who he left after relegating twice. He proved beyond any doubt with us that he's an atrocious manager, so what more do you want him to show you?

McLeish back in charge would honestly be my very worst nightmare come to fruition. I've said this for years on here. He's just a complete dud and watching us in the final season was hellish.

So who would you put in charge til the end of the season ?