Alex McLeish vs Warburton CVs

I can't believe we're on here discussing the prospect of AM coming back. I know he won a lot with us before, but so did Walter and I don't want him back either. Let's be honest, we've not played any sort of football between Advocat leaving and Warburton arriving. Now that I've got a taste of decent football (leaving the lack of cutting edge and poor defence aside), I can't face going back to that.

I love when we win but I can remember the days when we won just about every game under Smith and yet I still felt so underwhelmed. I could just about accept a temporary appointment of AM or WS for a couple of months to see us into second place, but please please please don't tell me that any of you are accepting the prospect of these former managers being part of our future.

For the first time we have a squad full of technical players just crying out for some direction. We've never had that many technically gifted players (relative to "them") before. You can teach technical players to defend and play to a system so let's get someone who can do that. I never saw any sort of system under any manager except advocat and MW so we know we need someone new now. Clearly MW couldn't give them the answers in the first or final third but many of the younger managers now can, thanks to the quality of coaching for coaches these days.

So I don't mind if our next manager is a risk (i.e. Relatively unknown), but whoever it is I hope it's someone with new ideas. I'd buy into that, even if it later turned out not to work. It's got to be a risk worth taking, and it would keep the optimism strong. I think we need that!!

Craig - I will respond to that tomorrow if I've got time. I find it absolutely mind boggling that anyone in our support is looking upon the potential return of Alex McLeish in a remotely favourable light. To go off at a tangent somewhat, I bet if SDM was rumoured to be buying us back, a sizable chunk of our support would be advocating him. I just don't understand our support at times.

I can't believe we're on here discussing the prospect of AM coming back. I know he won a lot with us before, but so did Walter and I don't want him back either. Let's be honest, we've not played any sort of football between Advocat leaving and Warburton arriving. Now that I've got a taste of decent football (leaving the lack of cutting edge and poor defence aside), I can't face going back to that.

I love when we win but I can remember the days when we won just about every game under Smith and yet I still felt so underwhelmed. I could just about accept a temporary appointment of AM or WS for a couple of months to see us into second place, but please please please don't tell me that any of you are accepting the prospect of these former managers being part of our future.

For the first time we have a squad full of technical players just crying out for some direction. We've never had that many technically gifted players (relative to "them") before. You can teach technical players to defend and play to a system so let's get someone who can do that. I never saw any sort of system under any manager except advocat and MW so we know we need someone new now. Clearly MW couldn't give them the answers in the first or final third but many of the younger managers now can, thanks to the quality of coaching for coaches these days.

So I don't mind if our next manager is a risk (i.e. Relatively unknown), but whoever it is I hope it's someone with new ideas. I'd buy into that, even if it later turned out not to work. It's got to be a risk worth taking, and it would keep the optimism strong. I think we need that!!

I agree with just about all of that, though we did play good football in 02/03 and the tail end of 10/11. I'm also not sure we have that many technically gifted players currently.

People were on here last week demanding we win at any cost.

Craig - I will respond to that tomorrow if I've got time. I find it absolutely mind boggling that anyone in our support is looking upon the potential return of Alex McLeish in a remotely favourable light. To go off at a tangent somewhat, I bet if SDM was rumoured to be buying us back, a sizable chunk of our support would be advocating him. I just don't understand our support at times.

Don't get me wrong SBS, I am not advocating for Eck to come back full time. I would only advocate for Eck to come back to see us through the end of the season. He has a history of getting a "bump" in team performances when he first comes into teams. But even then he wouldn't be my preferred choice, I would actually take Walter before Eck - but I would certainly take Eck before Murty and I would also prefer him to the end of the season rather than employing Davies or McInnes full time :(

Most of my issue is the description of him as a woeful manager. I don't have an issue with anyone being described as a poor manager - but I simply cant get my head around the assertion that someone can be a woeful manager having won so many trophies (I exclude Deila in that because he really was in a one horse race whilst Eck was still competing with a Celtic team outspending him).

I wouldn't advocate for him on a permanent basis though - I'm not a supporter of going back to the future. Maybe we should get Sir Alex to come in till end of season :D

I doubt (m)any on here are looking at Eck coming back on a permanent basis though. No disrespect to the big fella, and knowing he is a big Rangers man, but I think we should be more ambitious than that. But as a stop-gap between now and the end of the season ? I would certainly take him over Murty or others being mentioned such as Davies or McInnes.

Your second paragraph, final sentence pretty much sums it up.... "I could just about accept a temporary appointment of AM or WS for a couple of months to see us into second place, but please please please don't tell me that any of you are accepting the prospect of these former managers being part of our future" - I would say that if anyone on here is promoting big Eck coming back it is under this "temporary" basis to secure second, but not for the longer term (theboyharley aside as I am sure he would love to see Uncle Eck take the reigns again).

I'm actually not convinced that our squad is full of technical players - there are a number of them whose first touch is terrible - they are certainly more technical than what we would have seen in some previous teams, particularly under Ally - but I don't think our squad is full of them necessarily.

Every manager is a risk, even the so called "safe bet".

Since we're apparently going to be looking at an interim manager for now I don't see that we could do any better than McLeish. It has to be someone currently out of a job because who would quit a full time post to take up a temporary position and it has to be someone who knows the Scottish game and preferably familiar with the current squad. McLeish has at least watched them play and ticks all the other boxes too.

Right now all we need is someone to get us over the Euro qualification line. He's good enough for that and I don't see how we could get any better for a temporary position.