Alex McLeish vs Warburton CVs

Can anyone explain to me what is remotely safe about McLeish? The guy's been sacked FOUR times in the last five and a bit years. And that's not including Birmingham who he left after relegating twice. He proved beyond any doubt with us that he's an atrocious manager, so what more do you want him to show you?

McLeish back in charge would honestly be my very worst nightmare come to fruition. I've said this for years on here. He's just a complete dud and watching us in the final season was hellish.

If you don't provide any balance to your assessments of him you just look daft.

Warburton is away; and despite his "CV" is unlikely to -will not- return. Indeed, if only a fraction of what is flying around is true, then he should have been shown the door, and we may wish him 'Good riddance'.

Big Eck did not leave Ibrox in like manner. Nonetheless, he is grim to listen to, and his football, ultimately, was grim to watch, with i I r c little to redeem it, over his tenure.

Interim appointments should be viewed with caution.

What has been getting thrown around about MW ?

All completely allegedly, and totally without prejudice! :

Majority of transfers via a particular agency; family connections with agency used; players being 'encouraged' to change agencies; leaking to press and other media; weird 'training' practices; kickbacks and skimming; etc. NFFC, apparently, got a whiff of this kind of thing, possibly from Brentford days, and withdrew its interest.

So, if only half, or even less, is true, added to poor recruitment, poor morale, and poor form, we may have won a watch with his 'resignation' ( and the peculiar condition attached, designed solely to enable a larger signing on fee, expenses, etc. from NFFC, or other, and which, it seems, suited a Board, minded, it is said, to terminate his employment, anyway).

Edited by Uilleam

I agree with SBS, but I think gunslinger has brought balance to that thought. McLeish did "well" with us, but football has changed so that being well-organised and allowing your better players to produce a bit of magic is long gone. It can't be coincidence that he's done nothing of note since leaving us? Times have changed. We need to show more ambition.

To be fair, I think that's the thinking of the board. According to SSN they are considering changing the football structure, to include a DoF, something that was discussed 2 seasons ago. I hope it proves that harking back to a previous age is not the answer.

What about the Huddersfield manager? Wagner has brought a modern, german pressing game to Huddersfield and has them sitting 3rd or 4th in the Championship. Huddersfield was his first real job but he learned his trade at Borussia Dortmund II. Nagelsmann at Hoffenheim brought fresh ideas, despite only being in his 20's and is now considered one of the best young coaches in the game. We need to show a bit of faith in a younger manager with modern ideas -- it is the only way we can move into the modern football age.

Edited by Rousseau

... Ride of the Valkyries?

Not sure whether we will pay someone for the services of our new manager.

As for all the CV stuff, that OP thing is simply pointing out titles and triumphs. Think back and hand McLeish 3m (plus wages) to buy/sign 23 players. Actually, I don't want to think of that.

Personally, I never really got going with McLeish, and even last Sunday's musings by him convinced me. I wouldn't mind someone who understands what it is to be a Rangers manager and who can handle all that comes with it. Of those I know from being a Bear, only Walter would fill that bill. In many ways these last few years are rather disappointing, as we shed almost as many managers as in the 20odd years before.

Presumably nobody is suggesting McLeish gets the job on a permanent basis and we are just talking about an appointment until the end of the season?

It may not be inspiring, but he knows the job, the club and the expectations for starters. And you know what? With the group of players we have just now, if he can simply tighten up the defence and get a more positive approach in the final third then I think we could still walk second place.

It was getting beyond frustrating to watch how our team made the same mistakes week after week while attempting to defend. In fact, the warning signs were there last year.