Manager or transfer budget???

Spend cash on Manager or keep for player transfers???  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Spend cash on Manager or keep for player transfers???

• Splash cash on quality Manager, at expense of transfer budget
    • "Cut price" manager & Full transfer budget

In terms of today's market Rodgers has not spent a lot.

Compared to previous managers/eras that's true but I think wages are where Celtic currently differ markedly from us. But, even without considering wages, he's still spent in the region of £10m (£4.5m on Sinclair, £1m on Gamboa, £500K on Dembele and most recently £3m on Kouassi).

We currently can't match them in that department but unless you're buying someone from outwith the top divisions at home and abroad then high wages are part and parcel of any deal.

Good manager will demand and need plenty to fix this shambles

A good manager will improve things without spending a penny.

A good manager will greatly improve things by spending modestly, but wisely

A poor manager will spend greatly, with ok results

In terms of today's market Rodgers has not spent a lot.

He inherited a half decent squad though - all that they really lacked was a proper manager. This is why I continue to say that the SC semi win for us was nothing more than a false dawn. They had a half-decent squad, all they needed was a manager that knew what they were doing and a couple of improvements - job done.

He inherited a half decent squad though - all that they really lacked was a proper manager. This is why I continue to say that the SC semi win for us was nothing more than a false dawn. They had a half-decent squad, all they needed was a manager that knew what they were doing and a couple of improvements - job done.

A squad comprising of James Forrest, Liam Henderson, Stuart Armstrong, Scott Brown, Gary Mackay-Stevens and the like.

Peppered with some real talent in Sinclair, Dembele etc.

Not much greater than we currently have IMO. (Except the few quality players needed)

A squad comprising of James Forrest, Liam Henderson, Stuart Armstrong, Scott Brown, Gary Mackay-Stevens and the like.

Peppered with some real talent in Sinclair, Dembele etc.

Not much greater than we currently have IMO. (Except the few quality players needed)

Like him as a player or not, Scott Brown was a 4 million quid signing. Rodgers may not have "spent" that much (Frankie's number is surprisingly high but I don't doubt it) but he did inherit a squad which was already decent enough to win the top flight comfortably.

He also inherited Craig Gordon, Tierney, Lustig, Sviatchenko, Griffiths, Rogic

Your original comparison looked to me about whether you could compete with them because Rodgers didn't spend much. You can't make a like-for-like comparison when the squad Rodgers inherited had been assembled at reasonable cost. Our squad by comparison, and proven by the gap between the teams in terms of league points, is not even close. We would need to spend millions just to get close to them, and that is before we could spend 10 million on players like Sinclair, Dembele etc - and it doesn't even start looking at the wages differential.

I guess my point is that you cant simply look at Rodgers spending in the transfer market in isolation - you have to also look at the players he inherited. There can be no doubt that he inherited far better players than we currently have. So to say "Rodgers hasn't spent much" is to only tell half a story.

Edited by craig