Frank de Boer in London

Next Rangers manager: Frank de Boer in London as club continue talks over new structure

FRANK DE BOER is in London as Rangers continue talks with potential management candidates.

The Glasgow giants are looking for a new boss following the departure of Mark Warburton and his team of David Weir and Frank McParland.

The Rangers board have begun interviewing candidates in London for both the manager and director of football roles.

De Boer is on the shortlist and admits he’s ready to return to the UK to work.

The legendary Holland defender was sacked by Inter Milan earlier this season after just three months in charge.

And De Boer was in London this week for an interview with the Daily Mail and when asked if he could return to Rangers by a fan passing by he said: “I would love to manage here, but the project has to be right.

“I told Liverpool I was honoured but I was only one year in at Ajax, it was too soon. I needed to achieve more, and I did.”

De Boer spent six months at Rangers as a player at the back-end of his career and has been backed for the manager’s job by former team-mate Artur Numan.

The former Rangers and Holland left-back insists De Boer would be a catch for the Ibrox side.

“If you can get Frank you get someone with a lot of experience at the highest level as a player and a coach,” Numan told the Sun.

“But he is a very sought-after coach and I know he will have a lot of offers to choose from.

“He had incredible success at Ajax, playing some terrific football, and is one of the most exciting young coaches around at the moment.

“I’m sure he will be successful again, whether it’s with Rangers or another club.

“Frank has made it clear he will wait until the end of the season before making a decision, so if Rangers want to sign him they will have to wait until June.”

Lifted from the Express website, but also saw similar on twitter from other sources.

I am sure its no co-incidence, as he said, he'd always listen but, even though he's there, I still think he'd be a long shot

He's not ruled himself out despite many opportunities to do so, so the possibility is that he's been interviewed or will be interviewed. If he has been interviewed and he's still not ruled himself out, then logic points to there being a chance that something might happen here!!

If he wants to wait until next season before taking over then fair enough but I'm not sure we can wait until the end of the season before we get a decision from him. We can't give someone 3 months with the possibility that they turn round and say no. What about the planning for any player movements for next season?

Problem is similar to that of sacking Warburton written evidence.

For any manager wanting to wait till end of season leaves a get out clause if we continue ti slip the way we are doing just now.

IMO any replacement should be signed making sure all the T's are crossed and all the I's dotted the old saying of "once bitten twice shy " should come to mind.

If he wants to wait until next season before taking over then fair enough but I'm not sure we can wait until the end of the season before we get a decision from him. We can't give someone 3 months with the possibility that they turn round and say no. What about the planning for any player movements for next season?

A few people have said that he is due compensation from Inter if he is still out of work at the end of the season.

If this is the case then an agreement may be put in place but possibly not announced.

what was the score at Inter ? What happened getting him sacked after 3 months ?

Here's a couple of lines from an interview he did...

Frank de Boer reveals the chaos at Inter with Mauro Icardi and Marcelo Brozovic got too much for him. “We had three months, but honestly it felt like a year.”

The former Ajax Coach was drafted in to replace Roberto Mancini just two weeks before the Serie A season kicked off and was fired 85 days later.

“Leaving Ajax after 25 years as player, coach and manager was hard, but sometimes you are saying the same things, you need a new challenge, like Pep Guardiola,” De Boer told the Daily Mail.

“But at Inter I had to deal with so many things away from football, you lose energy.

“Every time you thought, ‘Finally, a good result, everything has calmed down,’ then comes Mauro Icardi's book or Marcelo Brozovic is in the discotheque and you have to punish him.

“We only had three months but honestly, it felt like a year.”

Inter were fined on Wednesday for Icardi’s autobiography, as it included threats to bring criminals over from Argentina to attack ultras.

Brozovic was dropped for a couple of weeks, but the club never revealed why De Boer had taken disciplinary action – evidently the Croatia international had been out partying into the early hours.

“Attractive football and dominating in the opposition half, winning the ball back as quickly as possible. This is what I stand for,” continued De Boer.

“Discipline is everything, but it's about knowing when. One player at Ajax, Mounir El Hamdaoui, he stayed in the toilet for 10 minutes at half-time then gave me the big mouth. You think, 'If I don't do something here, they're going to play with my balls'.

“That was it, 'Okay, you're off'. You either win the group or lose it. They need to respect you.”

Edited by lenny3k