Storm needed to to blow away Nessy- Inverness v Rangers match preview.

Storm needed to to blow away Nessy- Inverness v Rangers match preview.

Storm Doris that has brought snow ice and high winds across Britain over the last few days is slowly pulling away to the fast continent. As the storm dies down any damage will be assessed and repaired. Unfortunately the storm clouds that have been hanging over Ibrox park have not yet blown over and the damage that has been done is still weeks away from being assessed and repaired. Mark Warburton disappeared in a lightening flash and there's snow new manager in sight as yet. Even before Warburton lef,t his team looked like a distressed ship sailing through the eye of a hard hitting storm with no harbour in sight. All of a sudden our opposition have realised that like the Titanic we are not invincible and with constant wave after wave of pressure our rivets will pop and the mighty battle ship Rangers will sink like a colander in a bath-tub.

Graeme Murty has been thrown in at the deep-end to try and balance the listing ship but until now he has looked. Like Hans Brinker the little Dutch boy who stuck his finger in the dyke to save the whole of Holland. The problem here is that their is not just one leak in this Rangers team but even 11 fingers won't block all the holes.

Tonight we have a Friday night game against Inverness. Gone are the days of “ Park the bus united.” Inverness will also try and close us down quickly. We have seen over the last few weeks that Rangers are weak at the back and if you apply pressure high up the park then we can be as solid as quicksand. Graeme Murty has to stem the tide after our toothless performances of late against Hearts and Dundee. What can he do? After all you cannot make poor players great. Let us not forget, this is not Graeme Murty's doing. The rot had set in in long before he took over. What he can do is try and bring a bit of confidence back to this team. There are some good players in the team they just seem to have lost all confidence at the most important time of the season. To get that confidence back we have to press our opponents high up the park. We have to fight as hard, no much harder than our opponents do. If we can match or better our opponents for aggression then our technical ability will shine through. If not we will be run under like a juggernaut hitting a cyclist on Great Western Road.

One of Mark Warburton's biggest downfalls in my eyes was his whole game was built on ball retention. That is great when you have the players to do it and indeed an opposition that allows you to do it, but you also need to have a plan B. When the opposition are outfighting you in every position on the pitch. it is sometimes better to let them have the ball. It means 22 players are not all crushed into one half of the football field and It offers up more room in your opponents half and less in your own half. You also do not become as predictable as this Rangers team has become. Teams have now learned that when we push forward there is room created behind our full backs. Fitness levels in the SPL are very high these days. Most teams can soak up our pressure and hit us on the break mostly with a long pass into the area's behind the full-backs. This means the centre backs being stretched and vulnerable to a one on one situations. As we have seen recently our defenders are very weak when faced with one on one situations We also really have to have the ability to mix the game up and not keep hitting our heads against a brick wall and making the same mistakes week in and week out.

I would go with a 3 man back line of Senderos\Kiernen Hill and Wilson with Tav and Wallace more advanced on the wings.. If Wallace isn't fit then I would play Halliday at left back with Thoral in midfield. I am not a Hodson fan and he would not be in any formation I was picking. I would have, Holt Hyndman and Halliday in midfield if Wallace does play. I am not a Halliday fan but I do not see anyone else to play that defensive midfield role. I would try for a double strike force of Garner and McKay with McKay playing around Garner. I am not sure about the forward line but I would like to try that to see how it would do. Hopefully like storm Doris the Ibrox storm will also be passing over and the only thunder and lightening will be in our play. If we want to keep any chance of taking that second spot in the league then we cannot afford to keep dropping points. That also means beating Aberdeen and Hearts in our games against them. I can't see Aberdeen winning all their remaining games and I can only hope we can win all of ours with maybe a draw at the piggery.

Hopefully Murty can get the troops back on track and we create a storm to blow away the Caley Jags tonight. I hope we have a downpour of goals in the Caley net.

C'mon the Gers.

Foderingham

Sendros\Kiernen Hill Wilson

Tavernier Halliday Wallace

Hyndman Holt

Garner McKay

Sorry I just threw this together quickly to get a thread going. Apoligies for any mistakes but i don't have much time to check it all.

Hill has mild concussion, according to Murty's pre-game interview. Toral and Wallace should be fit again.

Game is available on LaolaTV with german speaking commentator: http://www.laola1.tv/de-at/channel/premiership-schottischer-fussball-video-livestream-kostenlos

I would assume the line-up will be similar to our last away game, I would hope that we partner Tavernier and Hyndman in front of the back four, as Halliday was again rather useless there. We need bite and aggression in attack, as well as people willing to shoot.

Alnwick

Hodson - Kiernan - Wilson - Wallace

Tavernier - Hyndman

Forrester - Miller - McKay

Waghorn

This could easily change into a 4-4-2 (or 3-5-2) if people move up the park a little once we have possession.