The Scourge of the Scottish Media

http://www.gersnetonline.net/newsite/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=377&Itemid=1

So after another fine weekend of Scottish sporting performance it was with my usual disappointment that I found out the usual suspects had been casting their typical brand of negativity and poison over the red tops. One wonders exactly what our media set out to achieve with their constant aspersions of bigotry towards Rangers.

Earlier this year Manchester Utd visited France and their fans were treated similarly shabbily to ours. Poor segregation, non-existent stewarding and heavy handed policing resulting in violence and danger to what are simply people like you and I travelling to watch their team away in Europe.

The responses towards their problems were much more positive ââ?¬â?? the FA promised to investigate, the media backed them to a man and even the Sports Minister said that heââ?¬â?¢d be investigating. After all, their fellow countrymen had been treated disgracefully by another country despite doing little to provoke such treatment.

Compare and contrast with the media reaction to Rangers supporters� problems in Spain. Broken limbs, scars, litre blood and danger of loss of life were all reported from Rangers fans on the Friday morning. Were their similar outcries of defence, did the media demand action, did David Taylor promise investigation, what about Joke in his Edinburgh castle? Nah, a dodgy YouTube video was found and the usual taunts begun in earnest.

The RST have had to report now on dangerous incidents in Stuttgart, Bratislava, Villarreal and now Pamplona. Is it any wonder minor trouble flares up due to the frustration of fans' terrible treatment by heavy handed police and poor host organisation? Does someone have to be killed before we look after our own?

Are the Scottish media that petty that they'd rather go against their own people instead of standing together and getting us all a better deal from the likes of UEFA who consistently rule against Scottish football while ignoring the bigger problems of racism and fascism in the continental countries?

Rangers FC and its supporters know we have our problems. What happened in that grainy YouTube video was unacceptable and we have to eradicate such chants. And we�re working damn hard to achieve that realistic aim. Indeed, the club have been praised by UEFA for their hard work against bigotry, while the announcement of a forthcoming conference organised by voluntary fans in the RST has shown we�re eager to self-police and find solutions for our problems.

Was this conference praised and discussed by the likes of Gerry McNee? Did it make the front page of the Sunday Mail at the weekend? How eager will our First Minister and Strathclyde Police be to attend this conference in the summer? They are all so far strangely silent on this extremely interesting development.

It�s easy to criticise and complain about any issue. What is much more difficult is to come up with practical and workable solutions for these problems. The likes of Graham Spiers, Gerry McNee, David Taylor and Jack McConnell have never done that. Instead, they enjoy the increased profile and quick buck from paying lip service to a social problem that has nowhere near the impact on our country that the real issues such as poverty, health and crime actually do.

The Rangers fans are eager to solve our problems. That simple fact seems to be overlooked in the haste by some to criticise us. At the same time, these people appear to prefer to castigate us instead of offering solutions and defence when we most need it. That isn�t helping to solve our problem but actually exacerbating it. For that, they are not only failing to help but are actually part of the problem.

Another good piece Frankie. :thup:

Sadly I do think as you have said some of the press etc are more interested in raising their profiles in any way possible and come up with no solution or even decent suggestions on how to tackle the said problems. They must take some blame for what has went on but they blame the fans 100%.

If they distance themselves from the conference in the summer then to me that says they are not committed to helping at all and they can't ever again be taken serious with such comments they make on the subject if they have been up to now.

Regarding Taylor I am glad he is moving on as he has done nothing for the Scottish game IMO, UEFA seem to have another YES man on board, his move was nothing to do with money of course, one thing he slated Walter for!!! Hopefully he will be replaced with someone who will back Scottish teams but I won't hold my breath.

Again the old scenario as to why Rangers FC won't come out and stand up to everyone who seems to be witch-hunting us and it's left to the brilliant RST to lead us in the right direction and say enough is enough we won't stand back and take anymore!

I think more fans realise the Trust are at present doing more for the fans and the club than Rangers FC have done in the past ?? years, I dread to think of the future for us if they didn't exist.

Guest brother426

We're the whipping boys thats for sure....and the sad fact is that we now have to win over the hearts and minds of people who arent Rangers supporters if we are ever going to get out of this mess...and by that I mean nobody's listening to the Rangers fans on this matter...our ideas and thoughts are dismissed and every time we counter some tim's lies/ revision call it what you will we seem to be getting into a petty point scoring contest that drags us down to a base level.....we have a derby with a team who's club and support know no bounds to their hatred of Rangers and their support and we are forced to respond.....

I think the RST's idea of an event for the fans to attend and share viewpoints and ideas is most welcome and takes us out of that OF sphere that seems to constantly have us on the back foot...hopefully it'l be well attended and give us the chance to show what Rangers means to us....most of us anyway...a great footballing institution that has much to be proud of and whose supporters are civillised decent people who know the issues and are seeking to address them.....does scotland want that? or do they want a bogey man...time to put it back to those in the media who would have us responsible for everything thats wrong with scottish society...are they ready to hear it?

Nobody gives a fuck about Rangers,so i can't see us turning anybodies opinion of us, we just need to cut out all the pish that's giving them amunition,once we sort this out ourselves then they will soon get bored as they will have fuck all to complain about, but unfortunately cutting it out is no mean task as some of our fans don't give a fuck about Rangers, sad but true,so when we can get it sorted out is another question,i've a feeling it's gonna be a long haul.

Good article Frankie and spot on. Johnny also makes some vaild points like the media are trying to raise there profiles rather than do anything else.

They are embarrasing. They should be defending there clubs after all we provide work for them. Do they really think that if we get kicked out of Europe (which they would love to see) that:

1) Its doing them any good

and

2) Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen will represent Scotland in the UEFA cup or Champions league - those teams will be lucky to get past the 1st knock out stages and Scotlands rankings suffer as a result.

They are there own worst enemy at times but its down to a poor mentality that they just want to slaughter us all the time.

I never thought about comparing the recent Man Utd trip to Lille, which Frankie pointed out. The media have manipulated this story to believe it was Gers fans at fault but you compare it with the Man U fans and they were treated poorly.

The most frustrating aspect is the club not saying a word. Not only is it frustrating but its strange. They obviously are not blind to the situation so are they either not concerned about the slaughter from the media and the dangers of punishment or do they know more than us and have direct contact with UEFA????

It would be beneficial if the RST could get together with a Man Utds supporters association and put their heads together to see what can be done to improve how the fans are treated during away european games. Two huge supports and if they joined forces the power people in Scotland (especially Scotland) and England would need to take notice.