Tv programme about Torbett - new allegations.

I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying.

It is not child abuse it is the attempts to cover it up we are talking about here. From comments I've read from individuals around at the time I'd say that looks quite a strong possibility in the Torbet case.*

Child abuse was unfortunately widespread before safety measures were put in place to at least try to reduce it & identify those involved. No organisation was safe from these people with perhaps the BBC & Savile now being the most well known case

Sorry. I still think nothing will happen to them, though. And the BBC are pushing it that there is no record of us making a complaint re Neely, leaving him free to continue molesting kids for five years after leaving us.

I note they are spinning the "separate entity" nonsense (a legal technicality that could save them, alas - ridiculous though it is). Funny isn't it that when I was growing up all I heard was how brilliant "their" "quality street gang" were? That being the name for "their" wonderful Boys Club players which put ours to shame.

* Not that I imagine it would be easy to discover that now but it's the Beeb's way of implicating us to be like them as much as possible even when we are not.

Edited by SteveC

Sorry. I still think nothing will happen to them, though. And the BBC are pushing it that there is no record of us making a complaint re Neely, leaving him free to continue molesting kids for five years after leaving us.

I note they are spinning the "separate entity" nonsense (a legal technicality that could save them, alas - ridiculous though it is). Funny isn't it that when I was growing up all I heard was how brilliant "their" "quality street gang" were? That being the name for "their" wonderful Boys Club players which put ours to shame.

* Not that I imagine it would be easy to discover that now but it's the Beeb's way of implicating us to be like them as much as possible even when we are not.

The OP says Rangers informed the police about Neely when they found out about him.

Don't forget the issue isn't just abuse but whether a club tried to cover it up.

And remember there's McCafferty still to come.

Worrying days over the East End I'd say

The OP says Rangers informed the police about Neely when they found out about him.

Don't forget the issue isn't just abuse but whether a club tried to cover it up.

And remember there's McCafferty still to come.

Worrying days over the East End I'd say

The BBC Website story has been expanded since then and it is sneakily implying that we covered up, note these bits (deliberately designed, you'd almost think to spread the blame/take the heat of Celtic):

"Rangers told us it was aware of an alleged incident more than 25 years ago involving Neely, sacked him and informed the police.

Police Scotland told the BBC they were unable to confirm whether Rangers made a complaint or not, despite Freedom of Information requests.

The BBC also asked surviving senior executives and football personnel who were at Rangers at that time, for more details - but received none. The Crown was unable to find details of a report being sent to the fiscal in relation to a complaint about Neely in 1990."

___

A decade after Hibs sacked him, and more than five years after Rangers got rid of him it is alleged Neely was still abusing."

You can see the way this programme is going to pan out from these quotes. And also from "The programme also features claims from former Clydebank and Rangers player Levi Stephen about a third alleged perpetrator."

Cairney's still to come too, surely?

The BBC Website story has been expanded since then and it is sneakily implying that we covered up, note these bits (deliberately designed, you'd almost think to spread the blame/take the heat of Celtic):

"Rangers told us it was aware of an alleged incident more than 25 years ago involving Neely, sacked him and informed the police.

Police Scotland told the BBC they were unable to confirm whether Rangers made a complaint or not, despite Freedom of Information requests.

The BBC also asked surviving senior executives and football personnel who were at Rangers at that time, for more details - but received none. The Crown was unable to find details of a report being sent to the fiscal in relation to a complaint about Neely in 1990."

___

A decade after Hibs sacked him, and more than five years after Rangers got rid of him it is alleged Neely was still abusing."

You can see the way this programme is going to pan out from these quotes. And also from "The programme also features claims from former Clydebank and Rangers player Levi Stephen about a third alleged perpetrator."

Cairney's still to come too, surely?

My understanding was that at Rangers Neely allegedly made inappropriate suggestions to a youngster whose father was a policeman. I'd say it was extremely unlikely therefore the police were unaware of this.

Is his a Mark Daly documentaty per chance ? Trying to divert attention away from Shellik maybe ?

My understanding was that at Rangers Neely allegedly made inappropriate suggestions to a youngster whose father was a policeman. I'd say it was extremely unlikely therefore the police were unaware of this.

Is his a Mark Daly documentaty per chance ? Trying to divert attention away from Shellik maybe ?

Double post

Edited by SteveC

My understanding was that at Rangers Neely allegedly made inappropriate suggestions to a youngster whose father was a policeman. I'd say it was extremely unlikely therefore the police were unaware of this.k

Yes Daly - hence what I have been posting. We know he was desperate to bring us into it as much as possible.

If the police were aware why the f*** was Neely allowed to continue? Drives you mad, the laxity of the past does.

Funny how the only crest on the notice board was the Rangers crest and also the most prominent thing on the board, even although they had blurred it, it was easy to see what it was.

It was a very "clever" piece of journalism which achieved exactly what Daly intended. Yes, it went on at Parkhead but their guy got jailed. It happened everywhere and there are many still to get convicted.

The many questions around Celtic FC and the total inaction of Stein, "open secret" McNeil and others was not even mentioned. Stein appeared to me to be made out as the hero of the piece.

No mistake - this was a sly attempt to smear Rangers. It probably succeeded.

Edited by boabie