Kris Boyd: Would they have Sir David Murray back at Ibrox?

BRING HIM BACK Rangers fans blame Sir David Murray but he could be the man to fix things says Kris Boyd

Some Gers fans can't even bring themselves to mention the former owner by name but things have got worse since he left

HE swore in court to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

But if it is honesty Rangers fans want here’s a question they should ask themselves . . .Would they have Sir David Murray back at Ibrox?

Because the way I see it, the man thousands of them blame for causing all the problems could just be the man to make them go away.

I know that won’t go down too well with Rangers fans who can’t even bring themselves to mention the former chairman by name.

Even the club itself changed the Academy and training ground from Murray Park to Auchenhowie, which I think was a disgrace given it was the first state-of-the-art facility in Scotland.

But I look at how bad things have become at that football club under the current regime and reckon Murray must be sitting there in his plush Edinburgh office asking himself if he could do something about it.

So let’s throw it out there. How would Rangers supporters feel about that?

Would they be able to put to one side their ill-feeling towards their former chairman if it meant they were able to challenge Celtic?

I can’t help but think the majority would.

Why? Because it’s probably starting to dawn on them that the current regime aren’t going to bring them the success they want quickly enough.Dave King came in with big plans and big talk but he’s not delivered.

And whatever you think about Murray, his actions always spoke louder than his words.His dream as chairman was to see the club win a European trophy and he was a whisker away from that happening.

But I don’t know a Rangers supporter who would change anything if they could turn the clock back.The success they lived through in the 90s will stay with them until their dying day.

The deal Murray did with Whyte now has him answering questions in a court of law and who knows how that’s going to turn out.But if there comes a time when he is able to buy his way back into the club then I wouldn’t bet against him trying to do it.

He certainly has the money.The Forbes Rich List was out last weekend and his name immediately jumped out.He’d also have the nerve to do it.If there’s one thing the old chairman has, it’s a belief and confidence.

But more than that, I genuinely think Murray would love nothing more than to return to Rangers and set about proving people wrong.

To get his reputation back.

There will be people who insist he made big mistakes at Ibrox when he was in charge, that he’s to blame for a lot of the issues now.But for me there are far bigger culprits than him.

Listen, chances are this is never going to happen because there’s been too much water under the bridge since he sold the club for a quid.For one thing, he could never work with Dave King, given their history.

But something has to give at boardroom level at that club.I’ve gone on record before about how poor a lot of the players are and I stand by that. But there has to be proper leadership from the top for things to improve.

Otherwise Rangers fans might start turning their backs on the club, which is the last thing anyone wants to see happen.They don’t want to do walking away but while they continue to spend their hard-earned cash on season tickets it could be that nothing changes.

I genuinely feel sorry for them because their loyalty has been pushed to the limits in the last five years.But I think they’re reaching their breaking point.

Look at the Old Firm game last weekend.

Rangers directors were getting slated from the stands.

There was sickening racist abuse directed at Scott Sinclair with someone else running on to the pitch to try and attack Scott Brown.Leigh Griffiths had a battery thrown at him.

That’s not the Rangers I know. That’s not the club I grew up supporting.I was brought up being told that as a Rangers fan there was a certain way to behave. It was other clubs who did things like that, not us.

But the sad truth is that the lack of class from the top has filtered its way into the team and now into the stands.Listen, that’s not an attack on every Rangers supporter out there because it’s still a minority.

But it just shouldn’t be happening at all.The bottom line is that it’s borne out of sheer anger and frustration.The punters have reached the stage where they can hardly take any more.

Right now all they can hope is that Pedro Caixinha can bring in some new players in the summer to turn things around, but he’s not a magician.

It’s financial backing the club needs.

Dare I say it, it’s a chairman willing to spend a tenner for every fiver Celtic take out of their pocket.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/969934/rangers-david-murray-kris-boyd/

I believe there was one fan out of 50k charged with racist abuse and Boyd "the pie thief" has it down as "sickening abuse from a minority"?. What a tool he is!

Having his pockets lined for potshots at the support and writing fiction regarding the orchestrator of all our troubles.

I believe there was one fan out of 50k charged with racist abuse and Boyd "the pie thief" has it down as "sickening abuse from a minority"?. What a tool he is!

Having his pockets lined for potshots at the support and writing fiction regarding the orchestrator of all our troubles.

Boyd is one person I have totally no respect for.

There is a certain amount of journalistic hyperbole here that detracts from his otherwise valid hypothesis.

As I said, and was berated for elsewhere, most Rangers fans I know think that overall SDM was a good thing for Rangers FC. Without his ambition and financial backing (so what if it came from his companies) we would not have seen 9 in a row and all those fantastic players we can only dream about now.

If he came along now and said he wanted to put the £50 million that DK said it take to get us back where we belong there is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that he would be welcomed with open arms.

There is also no doubt in my mind that DK would be glad to sell though he'd want more than the price of his current shares to terminate his interest.

I'll wait for FS and others to tell me I'm out of touch with mainstream thinking (as if that's a criminal offence) and I'm happy to concede that very often I am, though nowhere near as often is sometimes portrayed.

But I've asked numerous people about this so I'm confident I'm correct.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

As I said, and was berated for elsewhere, most Rangers fans I know think that overall SDM was a good thing for Rangers FC. Without his ambition and financial backing (so what if it came from his companies) we would not have seen 9 in a row and all those fantastic players we can only dream about now..

There was no financial backing from Murray, either personally or through his companies, during NIAR.

It's a myth that he financed it and it's sad to see it been perpetuated.

There is a certain amount of journalistic hyperbole here that detracts from his otherwise valid hypothesis.

As I said, and was berated for elsewhere, most Rangers fans I know think that overall SDM was a good thing for Rangers FC. Without his ambition and financial backing (so what if it came from his companies) we would not have seen 9 in a row and all those fantastic players we can only dream about now.

If he came along now and said he wanted to put the £50 million that DK said it take to get us back where we belong there is no doub whatsoever in my mind that he would be welcomed with open arms.

There is also no doubt in my mind that DK would be glad to sell though he'd want more than the price of his current shares to terminate his interest.

I'll wait for FS and others to tell me I'm out of touch with mainstream thinking (as if that's a criminal offence) and I'm happy to concede that very often I am, though nowhere near as often is sometimes portrayed.

Murray made more out of Rangers than Rangers made out of Murray.

To play devils advocate what IF Murray did say here is 35 million. Im sure number of fans who would welcome that would be a large majority.

But I also dont see it ever happening.

As for Boyd his media work is worse than his all round game, like Pete - Ive no time for him.

If he came along now and said he wanted to put the £50 million that DK said it take to get us back where we belong there is no doub whatsoever in my mind that he would be welcomed with open arms.

serious question

have you been following the evidence being given in whyte's trial?