McInnes: Slams Pedro Caixinha 'Your job is to finish above Celtic'

Derek McInnes slams Rangers boss Pedro Caixinha over Aberdeen jibes and says: 'Your job is to finish above Celtic'

McInnes hit back angrily after Caixinha claimed Aberdeen's period of being second best was coming to an end.

Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes has hit back at Pedro Caixinha after the Rangers gaffer cranked up the mind games ahead of tomorrow's meeting at Ibrox.

Caixinha struck out with a series of jibes against the Dons last night - claiming their position as second best in the country was coming to an end and insisting McInnes was facing a major summer rebuild.

The Portuguese coach then stuck the knife in when he admitted he fancies pinching Dons skipper Ryan Jack in the summer with the 25-year-old set to leave Pittodrie.

Jack is out injured for tomorrow's meeting and faces a race against time to be fit for the Scottish Cup Final against Celtic a week on Saturday.

But his manager was in no mood for mind games when he spoke to the media this afternoon.

McInnes said: "I find it strange that the Rangers manager feels the need to talk about other clubs so much."If he thinks that doing brilliant at Rangers is by finishing ahead of Aberdeen then he is clearly mistaken.

"His job as Rangers manager is to finish above Celtic and he should be more concerned by that challenge. He shouldn't be talking about our players but each to their own."Any team that finishes above Rangers in the league, with the budget they have, is doing their work well.

"They should probably be embarrassed that they've not finished second. "I think any Premiership manager, with the budget Rangers have, would finish second in the league.

"I think he likes to do a lot of talking. I think the Rangers fans over the last few years have been used to owners, managers, players saying what they want to hear."But the reality is his job as Rangers manager is to finish above Celtic and if he thinks he is doing well by finishing above Aberdeen and the rest then he'll soon find out that's not enough."

Caixinha claimed Aberdeen are coming to the end of their cycle when he spoke to the media yesterday.

The war of words is sure to add to the already intense atmosphere between Rangers and Aberdeen ahead of tomorrow's meeting in Govan.

The Dons are six points clear of Rangers in second with two games left but with a vastly inferior goal difference won't be caught.

Caixinha already has one over McInnes though as Gers ran out 3-0 winners in the sides' last meeting at Pittodrie just over a month ago.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derek-mcinnes-slams-rangers-boss-10433252

Edited by ian1964

What brought this on? What did PC say about Aberdeen?

This.

after Caixinha claimed Aberdeen's period of being second best was coming to an end

Hardly mind blowing stuff, everyone knows it's true. Unless McInnes thinks such facts should never be mentioned?

He did speak about Aberdeen quite a lot and the Ryan Jack mention probably didn't help McInness's mood but this is mostly 'paper nonsense. "Slams" "stuck the knife" "cranked up" - doesn't really come across that way when you listen to PC or read McInness. Do we reckon the latter is miffed at not getting the Ibrox job?

Edited by SteveC

Do we reckon the latter is miffed at not getting the Ibrox job?

Yes, or at least I suspect that which all on it's own is hugely telling. Indicates he acknowledges that Rangers are another level from Aberdeen and simply further illustrates the reality that the sheep days of running second are coming to an end for obvious reasons no one has any need to be ashamed of. Or unduly angered by the mention of.

Yes, or at least I suspect that which all on it's own is hugely telling. Indicates he acknowledges that Rangers are another level from Aberdeen and simply further illustrates the reality that the sheep days of running second are coming to an end for obvious reasons no one has any need to be ashamed of. Or unduly angered by the mention of.

Or just as plausibly he is saying "Look, I managed to finish above Rangers when they were significantly outspending me". He would be right of course. Not only that but, rather than the possibility you have given he is also plausibly buying himself some grace from the Aberdeen fans by pointing out that Rangers should be AT LEAST the 2nd force in Scotland - so if Aberdeen finish 3rd next season they finish where they "should" finish.

His statement could easily be considered to be self-preservationist.

The BBC gives it a different headline.

Rangers should be embarrassed at finishing third, says Derek McInnes

With McInnes saying this.

"I find it strange he feels the need to talk about Aberdeen so much," McInnes said of Rangers boss Pedro Caixinha.

"They should probably be embarrassed that they've not finished second. I think he likes to do a lot of talking."

McInnes apparently finds it strange that Pedro talks about the next opponents in the days before we play them. And as for Pedro being embarrassed about the league placing why should he be? In the 8 league matches since he took over we have picked up 17 points from a possible 24 with just one defeat in that 8.

While in the same 8 game run since Pedro took charge the sheep have picked up 15 points from a possible 24 with 3 defeats one of them a 0-3 hiding at home to Pedro. Thus Pedro has a better record than McInnes in the league.

Ok ok.....STOP!

Let's see what Pedro actually said...

Now let's see McInnes' reply...

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1388708-mcinnes-rangers-should-be-embarrassed-finishing-third/?utm_content=buffer851bf&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Now properly judge the situation given both sides and give a little thought to the obvious media stirring that is evident.

Edited by LucyBlue