Bluebear54's GPL 2017/18 Discussion Thread

And 10 points to me for consistently choosing Garner as FGS. He's only missing to wind me up.

But I don't think we should be cutting it off 90 minutes before kick off since for one thing the team isn't even posted till an hour before kick off and for noon kick offs i'm up before 6am just to make that kick off. For a noon kick off I would need to get up before 4:30am just to make the cut off.

You can post your prediction a day or two before you know! Fair point, I wasn't thinking about non-UK Bears and time differences.

I don't think many changes are needed if any.

Last year I mentioned that there had been at least two occasions where there was a question as to whether "late" posts should be allowed in the case of late kick-offs. The previous rule was ambiguous "Your match prediction will not be counted AT ALL if your prediction is posted after kick-off." because this could be interpreted as the official kick off time or the actual kick off time. On both occasions Zappa ruled that the posts which were made after the official kick off time but before the actual kick off be allowed. However, this led to questions about the actual kick off time, which is not usually recorded anywhere. Therefore I suggested the rule be amended to say "Your match prediction will not be counted AT ALL if your prediction is posted after the official kick-off time." So a 7.46pm post will not be valid if the official kick off time is 7.45pm even if the actual kick off is 7.47pm. This means there is no debate: either your post is time stamped on or before the official kick off time and it is valid; or it is posted after the official kick off tie and it is not valid.

This change was adopted and in my opinion it worked fine, so should remain in place. I don't agree with an arbitrary earlier cut off, for the reasons given by JFK and others.

I feel we should retain the double points for Scottish Cup, because it does add a bit of something different for the Cup games and I agree with extending this to the EL games, which might be harder to predict.

However, I have two proposals:

1. Cup tie results should be 90 minutes and not include extra time; and

2. I would return to 2 points for Correct Number of Rangers goals which is harder to predict than the result of the match.

This one is just for discussion, I mentioned it after the Aberdeen 1-2 home game.

I felt it was worth thinking about whether it was right to award points for correct Rangers goals, when you wrongly predict the result. I know that the result itself is a separate prediction but it just seemed wrong to me that you get a point (or two in my above proposal) if you forecast Rangers to win (or draw) and we lose (or draw if you have forecast a win or a loss) the match.

I'm not sure I can explain exactly why I feel that way; but it's like get a consolation for a wrong forecast.

Just a thought as I say.

5. 10 points off for anyone going for Miller for FGS - you are only doing it to wind me up!!

Given that Miller will be nearly as old as you next season, I'd say double points for all correct Miller FGS forecasts and 2 points awarded if you forecast him as FGS and he scores at any time.

A handicap system should be implemented, with those finishing last in Year 1 being awarded bonus points for Year 2.

Seems fair to me.

Those finishing in the top 4 two years in a row :D should get +50% points for all forecasts in 2017/18; bit like frequent flyer premium bonus miles.

Those finishing in the top 4 two years in a row :D should get +50% points for all forecasts in 2017/18; bit like frequent flyer premium bonus miles.

Those finishing in the top 4 for 2 yrs in a row are clearly football hipsters, and should be banned; failing that they should be relegated to a sellik prediction league.

If they win that, they should be made to stay there.

Heres an idea out of left field-----why dont participants start telling the fecking truth.

I'm new around here. I don't get this? Have I missed a useful loophole I can use to improve my score? What did you mean?