A real gent as others have said and a man of his word who signed for us despite being offered more money by Clyde.

In an earlier thread Bearger quoted "I was booked on a plane to leave Pretoria’s Jan Smutts Airport for London near midnight on 17 July 1949. Even as my suitcase sat in the hallway on the day of my departure with everything apparently cut and dried on my trial at Ibrox, there was another unexpected twist. Clyde’s representative, Roy Davies, came in very late and offered me £1,000 signing-on fee, a wage of £20 per week and a two-year contract. It was clearly a much better deal than the terms offered by Rangers, but I had given the club my word and accepted their offer so I could not possibly go back on that. I felt I had a duty to them since they had come along first and, as I said, none of this was really about the money for me. If I had been more money orientated, I would have taken the Clyde offer for sure. But, I was taken by all that I heard about Rangers and excited about the prospect of going there. My instincts were ultimately proven to be correct."

Although he is also quoted as saying that he hadn’t even heard of Rangers and Celtic as a teenager. “The only British teams I knew were Clyde, Aberdeen and Huddersfield because they had toured South Africa.”

My recollection is that Johnny once told me that he had accepted Rangers offer of £100 and Clyde came in with £200 and a higher wage; but no matter of a man of great principle no doubt at all.

Get well soon.

Athletics, cricket, football, rugby, JH excelled in all sports. You wonder how a man so slight could perform at rugby. If he's fleet of foot with superb balance like JH, then it's no problem at all.