Rangers v St Johnstone friendly - 3pm today

We are not looking like a team nor performing like a team ready for a new season , we simply cannot score goals , nor it seems do we even create goal scoring opportunities , this has got disaster written all over it , and might need a parks sized cheque to get us out of this mess he's driven us into

I've not seen the game, so may be way off with this...

By all accounts, we seem to be retaining possession well. In general, our defence seems better. Out build up play seems decent/good. We are creating a lot of chances, but just not putting them away.

If this above is reasonably accurate.....at what point does the blame move from the Manager to the players???

There is so much conjecture on here from people who haven't seen the game it actually beggars belief. Likewise, "we" sure have pushed the pessimism levels to new limits, full steam onto the iceberg.

And obviously the club's HP tells us rubbish, which has to be expected.

BTW, a) St. Johnstone hasn't as yet listed today's game as a friendly at all, and b) the backline that conceded the late goal actually consisted of Daniel Candeias, David Bates, Ross McCrorie and Jordan Thompson. Which c) will tell you that it was a bounce game to get people fit.

But perhaps someone wants to actually WATCH the game now, as you can do it on RTV "as live" ...

https://rangers.co.uk/tv/access-denied.php?c=News&it=15876&act=view

Edited by der Berliner

We are not looking like a team nor performing like a team ready for a new season , we simply cannot score goals , nor it seems do we even create goal scoring opportunities , this has got disaster written all over it , and might need a parks sized cheque to get us out of this mess he's driven us into

And a Parks bus to get his players back home.

Snatched from FF ... to throw in some perspective:

Everybody needs to calm down. Ended up buying rtv monthly to watch the match I'm sorry but we dominated the game could have been 3 or 4 up. 2 great saves from headers another morelos knocked it wide 1 on 1 with the gk. We all need to chill out one thing is for sure we looked better when krancjar & miller were off.

I thought 'the cry was no surrender' ???

Seriously some of you need to have a word with yourselves. We actually played quite well today. Must've had 10 chances and controlled the game for 70 minutes. St Johnstone did nothing. Absolutely **** all for 70 minutes! By that point we had changed the entire team with the exception of Jack - who caused the goal! Herrera looked alright. Had a couple of headers. One which was pushed onto the post. Morelos had a good header saved and a shot just by the post after a good run from wide. Dorrans n Pena also had a few nice touches in their FIRST game. Looks to me the idea is to get swinging crosses in early and Tav n Candieas did this a good few times. Wallace not so. Krankjar n Miller for me have to stay on the bench. Miller has been awful every preseason game. The sooner we start Herrera n Morelos the better.

Keep the faith.

Just finished watching the match the positives for me where Dorrans he was on another level his touch was excellent and his passing was very crisp good pace of pass. Big lad up front will score a few.

Negatives where the usual far too wide open defensively at full back they had a trialist who was pretty quick and got in a lot of dangerous positions. We just can't seem to keep a team under any sort of concerted pressure and our usual 2nd half performance disjointed.

Some neat and tidy football with no bite.

Q: Cheers for the update. Lets hope it all comes good. How did Pena and Herrera look?

A: Both looked decent Pena & dorrans looked very good rarely gave ball away. Big herera worked like f*** looks to hold ball up bring others into the game. Might not happen but having walker & naismith running off him would be unbelievable.

I watched the whole game, nowhere near as bad as made out by some on this thread. We should have beat them due to our possession and chances. They're goal was keystone cops stuff by our defence. Terrible kick out by our keeper.

http://forum.followfollow.com/showthread.php?1114555-Pedro-Caixinha-stick-or-twist/page23

nor it seems do we even create goal scoring opportunities

We don't seem to be getting them into the net for now but saying we don't create chances is patently exaggeration.

First chance of the afternoon - Miller's effort from 25 yards finishes off target

Great save from Alan Mannus to deny Herrera with a header

Pena shoots high and wide

James Tavernier shoots from the corner of the 18-yard box but Mannus watches the ball go wide

Kenny Miller unlucky as he can't quite steer a low driven cross into the net

Morelos forces another good save from Mannus

The goals will come and if they come when it counts rather than in a mere warm up with the side being constantly rotated to give as many as possible a chance of fitness I will be content.

There is so much conjecture on here from people who haven't seen the game it actually beggars belief. Likewise, "we" sure have pushed the pessimism levels to new limits, full steam onto the iceberg.

And obviously the club's HP tells us rubbish, which has to be expected.

BTW, a) St. Johnstone hasn't as yet listed today's game as a friendly at all, and b) the backline that conceded the late goal actually consisted of Daniel Candeias, David Bates, Ross McCrorie and Jordan Thompson. Which c) will tell you that it was a bounce game to get people fit.

But perhaps someone wants to actually WATCH the game now, as you can do it on RTV "as live" ...

https://rangers.co.uk/tv/access-denied.php?c=News&it=15876&act=view

I've watched it. It was the same old story same as the other preseason games and pretty much same as last season and the UEFA legs.

Slight improvement in the things we already did okay like possession and pressing and no improvement in the things we have been consistently poor at like set pieces and finishing. Also same lack of ideas and movement when attacking. I felt like our midfield was generally behind the ball most of the game.

Don't agree we had loads and loads of chances, we had 3 decent chances which we failed to convert and with our conversion rate quite frankly isn't enough chances for us to hit high numbers in my opinion. We had the majority of the possession as per usual but to me we never looked like scoring and the gap between the midfield and the forwards has grown though Tav did get further forward from defence( not sure what the plan is with the fullbacks. One game they sit deep and don't cross the halfway line next game they're our main attacking threat).Not even going to detail the importance placed on windass once Krancjar was ordered off the park. Would also say we were trying but St J went through the motions a bit and just stepped it up when called to.

Overall slight improvement but not enough to affect results dramatically in my eyes

We do though still seem to be concentrating on fitness instead of cohesion which in its own deserves debate as a solid plan.

Doubt St Johnstone would call it a difficult game for them. Soaked up pressure and capitalised on a mistake, most likely was their whole game plan and it worked, see no reason it will not continue to work for these teams unless we somehow up it a couple of gears and find our grove going forward. Hopefully the concentration so far has been on defending and the next few weeks we are going to work on the change over. If that's not the case we are in trouble.

We do however on a positive look like conceding less especially with Alves still to appear. Main bet this season for me would be low scoring draws a plenty.

On a side note I have absolutely no idea where Walker is to fit in if rumours of our interest are true.

Also never seen Dalcio unless I had switched off by that point which is possible!

Can see us losing by 5 or 6 to the French cheats if they are up for the game. Be surprised if we can break them down and score.

I dont know why but there is a part of me wanting to see PC turn this around and be a success, I guess that change doesnt happen over night. But even during transition we should have enough in the tank to beat Progres.

But Im mostly thinking should we just cut our losses now. The additionally worry to that is if the Mexican and Portuguese players downed tools and it was PC who probably got them over the line. Alves is professional enough to accept it but the others perhaps wouldnt. This is where Dorrans, Jack and probably Morelos differ.

For reasons I can't quite understand it seems 'we're' dividing into camps and these camps are becoming ever more intransigent. As someone who has firmly nailed his colours to the 'Doubting Pedro' camp let me be clear on a few things. I don't want him to fail, nothing would make me happier than for PC to prove to be a managerial visionary who transforms our club, indeed I'd accept him being simply really lucky and fluking the league next season. I'd happily eat lashings of humble pie and greedily accept Uiliem's accusations of effete, lady-boy, panic merchant status, Berliner's lectures on loyalty and Gaffer's sermon on the mount regarding my lack of faith, indeed I'd make them my posting signature for the coming season if they prove to be true. Be clear, I want Rangers to win, I want success, I want our new signings to settle and perform to a high standard. But also be clear, I, and I imagine all my fellow travellers in the Doubting Pedro camp, didn't welcome a 1-0 defeat to a Perthshire 11 yesterday and I don't want to see us get turned over by Gene Hackman's boys on Saturday. I'd love to see a glimmer of promise, something that helps me restore my faith. My growing scepticism of our current manager is not based on anything but his record as a manager both with us and before us. But I want to be wrong.

At the same time, the 'Believe in Pedro' camp need to open their eyes to glaring evidence staring them in the face. Don't dismiss every defeat as unavoidable as we don't have the players yet, (Walter Smith took over from PLG and transformed the side in a matter of weeks by signing two ageing centre halves and an injury prone Kevin Thomson), don't dismiss every rumour of player unrest as 'last year's duds having a moan', experienced players know the difference between good and bad tactics and good and bad management and it's wilful self-harm to dismiss these stories as irrelevant.

When the team takes to the pitch they get my full support. I assume they get Tannochside Bear's too, and Gribz and Craig's. My scepticism of Pedro is not the cause of our defeat to Progres or our loss to St Johnstone, rather these defeats, and others, are the reason for my scepticism. Don't make this a simple 'for or against' thing, it's not as black and white as that. At some point very soon PC needs to prove he can create a Rangers side that can compete with Celtic and Aberdeen and Hearts and beat the rest regularly, that's the minimum that's required. Let me know when you see that please.