Cardoso: “I have never seen anything like [the fans] anywhere in the world.

I lived in Edinburgh for a few years whilst I studied. Weegie by anyone standards I also think edinburgh is the 'better' city.

How can you compare both city centres ? Glasgow has some cracking architecture but isn't a patch on the 'Burgh as a city in my opinion.

I found edinburgh much more a 'rugby' city tho haha and glasgow football is miles above them of course

Edited by blueflag

I lived in Edinburgh for a few years whilst I studied. Weegie by anyone standards I also think edinburgh is the 'better' city.

How can you compare both city centres ? Glasgow has some cracking architecture but isn't a patch on the 'Burgh as a city in my opinion.

I found edinburgh much more a 'rugby' city tho haha and glasgow football is miles above them of course

I am truly baffled when any native Scot actually believes that Edinburgh is a "better" city. As I said, it is like a big York to me - more like a big town than a city, and similar to Dublin in that there are actually few natives which invalidates any genuine feel to the place. Truly awful for a night out also. Maybe I am just a rampant Glaswegian but I genuinely feel that Edinburgh's hype passed on from the hoarded of tourists precedes the reality, especially as a Scot visiting the place.

I am truly baffled when any native Scot actually believes that Edinburgh is a "better" city. As I said, it is like a big York to me - more like a big town than a city, and similar to Dublin in that there are actually few natives which invalidates any genuine feel to the place. Truly awful for a night out also. Maybe I am just a rampant Glaswegian but I genuinely feel that Edinburgh's hype passed on from the hoarded of tourists precedes the reality, especially as a Scot visiting the place.
Each to there own I guess mate.

Certainly never experienced a truly awful night out there though.had some great nights out through there. Live bands midweek, some good beer too in the grassmarket area.

Leith on the other hand I got bottled for walking down Leith walk with a French connection T shirt that had a union Jack fingers on the front.

Guess both city's have there good and bad areas within.

I'm sure Cardoso will be loving life wherever he Is,I mean he even has a song already. (Albeit it has been hijacked already by sectarianism)

All you need to know is that in Embra, they refer to citizens of Glasgow as "Weegies";

in No Mean City, we refer to citizens of Embra as........well, we don't actually consider them important, or interesting enough to warrant a nickname; we never have.

You do have Edinbuggers of course.:)

Each to there own I guess mate.

Certainly never experienced a truly awful night out there though.had some great nights out through there. Live bands midweek, some good beer too in the grassmarket area.

Leith on the other hand I got bottled for walking down Leith walk with a French connection T shirt that had a union Jack fingers on the front.

Guess both city's have there good and bad areas within.

I'm sure Cardoso will be loving life wherever he Is,I mean he even has a song already. (Albeit it has been hijacked already by sectarianism)

It is more IRAokay than sectarianism but horrible however you look at it.

You do have Edinbuggers of course.:)

I have never, ever, heard that expression used, anywhere, anytime, and I suspect that I may be able to give you a few years.

If it exists at all, it was coined by some Embra journalist, or cultural consultant, or ethno-folklorist, or some other hanger on among the social commentariat, trying for contemporary credibility, and failing.

Edited by Uilleam

This notion that's Edinburgh has "few natives" is just not true I'm afraid. You are being blinded by the fact that Edinburgh is much more of a tourist destination than Glasgow - that doesn't mean that there are "few natives".

You clearly are a rampant Glaswegian, which is clearly fine - but it doesn't make Glasgow a better city. Both cities have their own positives and negatives but as someone who used to live in Edinburgh but also as someone who worked and socialized in Glasgow, Edinburgh wins at a canter for me.

You keep saying it "only has the festival" but that isn't true either - there are tons of events in Edinburgh such as the military tattoo, you just don't see them as a "rampant Glaswegian" :D

I personally find Edinburgh architecturally superior to Glasgow too - but that is more a personal preference.

Further, Edinburgh is not an awful place for a night out. You clearly aren't going to the right places. I have had many a cracking night out in Edinburgh. Glasgow is better in that regard though.

Edinburgh will be nice when it's finished...

Glasgow and Edinburgh are two very different cities and it's difficult to make a comparison other than through personal preference. As a born and bred Glaswegian I have to disagree with the assertion that Glasgow has more cultural and musical events than any city outside London. Although I did think that myself once. All of the main provincial UK cities have fairly vibrant cultural scenes, Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield and Liverpool are very well served by the arts and music and university towns like Oxford, Cambridge and Durham can compete with most places in the world culturally despite their size.

You need to be blind not to see how incredible the Edinburgh new town is, the Princes Street Gardens are not only an amazing monument to the foresight and genius of the city planners of the day but even now make the centre of Edinburgh unique. The castle dominating the skyline and the constantly evolving lanes, closes and streets of the old town make a visit to Edinburgh a constantly surprising experience. During the festival there are few cities in the world can compete with Edinburgh for atmosphere and choice of things to do.

That said I've never found Edinburgh to be a friendly place. It's a cliche but no less true for that. It's not a working class city and so while it looks nice and pretty it lacks warmth and heart. Glasgow has many, many faults, but it's a friendly town to strangers and visitors. By and large Glaswegians are more open and welcoming, people will simply start a conversation with you in a shop or a cafe and that doesn't happen in lots of other places. I've only really experienced that level of friendliness in Liverpool and Belfast, both cities with similar industrial backgrounds to Glasgow. Glasgow also benefits from its position, a half hour drive to Loch Lomond or train journey, an hour to Inverary, slightly more to Glen Coe. The West Highlands are among the most beautiful places on earth and Glasgow is their city too.

Glaswegians are proud of Glasgow in a way that's entirely unwarranted. We don't like people putting the city down despite the very many social and cultural problems we have. Parts of the east end have the male life expectancy of a third world country and anyone who has had to visit the Royal's casualty department at midnight any day of the week will see first hand the very worst of the city. We have some horrendous architectural eye-sores and many of the new buildings in the city centre won't last 30 years before being pulled down and replaced by some other utilitarian cheapest possible solution.

That being said I've chosen to live here and raise my family here. I've an extended family around me, the city does have many positive things in its favour if you are raising a family. It has some good schools, many brilliant parks, cinemas, sports clubs and facilities, hospitals, libraries, theatres and easy access to some wonderful places. Also, according to my wife, it has brilliant shopping, not something I'd put in the credit column myself but each to their own.

Lastly, and most importantly, it has Rangers, so, you know, the argument kinda ends here.

Edited by JohnMc

One thing that may be unseen in this discussion is...

Age (and no offnence is intended!)

Through experience I have found Glasgow to definitely be a younger person's city - maybe this is true within this conversation.

PS I do know what the tattoo is, but it genuinely holds no interest to me. As for the "few natives" comment - I'm sorry but every time I've been to Edinburgh the vast majority of people I've dealt with haven't been Edinburghers, pretty much all staff have been either Eastern European, French or Spanish.

It is almost an exact carbon copy of Dublin for me, except I enjoyed Dublin more as I at least felt like a tourist in a foreign country rather than feeling like a tourist and outsider in my own country.