I used to train there myself periodically as a youngster. Was always very hard work but a great laugh on a nice day when you got to go for a swim afterwards.

Gullane is a beautiful wee village and has superb beaches so always worth a day trip if, unlike me, you're not from the local area. Murder Hill is around a 5-10 min walk from the main car park (turn left when on the beach).

Great photos, thanks for posting. We've had this discussion before (or was it somewhere else?) but you know the whole purpose of Murder Hill was psychological? You didn't actually get any fitter running up and down sand dunes you just thought you did. It was a piece of managerial genius by Wallace, who was a far more nuanced and intelligent manager than he's given credit for or often portrayed.

Great photos, thanks for posting. We've had this discussion before (or was it somewhere else?) but you know the whole purpose of Murder Hill was psychological? You didn't actually get any fitter running up and down sand dunes you just thought you did. It was a piece of managerial genius by Wallace, who was a far more nuanced and intelligent manager than he's given credit for or often portrayed.

I would rather run 100 yards round the Ibrox track as 100 yards up a sandy hill. Was it just not pre-season we done that to get the holiday laziness out of the way?

The Special Forces use exercises like this all the time....as JohnMc says, it's about the psychological benefits rather than pure physical. Take the participants to breaking point, then push them past it - thats how you get to the top of yer game.

I've seen videos of Chris Hoy doing exactly them same thing -on the bike then collapsing off & throwing up.

Nowadays, it's all about numbers & statistics. Get the players up to a certain fitness level (as defined by computer), and keep them there...no need to push them any further. However (IMHO) as a result of this, we end up with the excuse "The players were tired". For any professional player, 90min of football should not be a problem, at whatever stage of the season. They don't have that mental fortitude to carry on/push themselves, so they stop.

The Special Forces use exercises like this all the time....as JohnMc says, it's about the psychological benefits rather than pure physical. Take the participants to breaking point, then push them past it - thats how you get to the top of yer game.

I've seen videos of Chris Hoy doing exactly them same thing -on the bike then collapsing off & throwing up.

Nowadays, it's all about numbers & statistics. Get the players up to a certain fitness level (as defined by computer), and keep them there...no need to push them any further. However (IMHO) as a result of this, we end up with the excuse "The players were tired". For any professional player, 90min of football should not be a problem, at whatever stage of the season. They don't have that mental fortitude to carry on/push themselves, so they stop.

Ah, you're talking about Josh Windass, who confessed that his legs had gone by HT v M'well.