Credit where credit is due

Some people forget amongst the media hyperbole and sensationalism that our support have already made GREAT strides in removing the contentious terms from our songs.

In less than one season ****** and *** have been 99.9% removed from the home support - a fine achievement - especially when one considers the debate surround the origins/meanings of ******. Most of the away fans have followed suit and apart from a small cross-section, progress has been excellent. Recently we had a few very public problems and suddenly the attention is back upon us.

That's where our next problem occurs - perhaps the most difficult one we face in fact.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT that we are being victimised here. Celtic fans and Aberdeen fans (and even Killie fans!) have been guilty of similar indiscretions and are NOT being pursued like us. Ergo, some of our fans are feeling a siege-mentality when it comes to the issue. Why should they stop singing contentious terms when others clubs do so without persecution? I can empathise with that point of view to an extent.

It is argued that we shouldn't bring up other teams when we face our own problems. We need to fix ours first even in the face of apparant isolation compared to the debate at large. That is true and a worthy opinion.

Conversely though, to say the apparant lack of action towards other clubs won't have an effect on our battle isn't accurate. The censure and coverage we face nearly every day has to be applied equally to every club. If not, our problems become harder to solve. If only criticism is offered and no solutions discussed such action (or inaction) is not constructive.

That's why clarity for the full picture must still be sought and that's why the media's role in the sectarian crusade must be questioned.

Another good post Frankie. Its a very good point and its really depressing that its not picked up on and run with by the press. Its also annoying that we get such a slating from other fans for some of the folk songs which are sung which shouldn't be offensive to anyone. And then there's things like The Great Escape and Dambusters, which let's face it, I bet 99% of the fans signing them because they're just great songs.

I'm still confused as to why DM or MB haven't defender our club and fans more staunchly in the press. However, I think they're now taking the view that until we sort our own house out, we can't complain about anyone else as they'll just throw that back at us.

If this latest initiative is a success, then I think we can all be very proud and then expect appropriate action to be taken against other clubs.

Why would the press want to get rid of all the shit that is flying Rangers way, it just means they can sit back and pick up thier salaries for doing nothing, plus the fact it sells news papers !!!!!!

Why would the press want to get rid of all the shit that is flying Rangers way, it just means they can sit back and pick up thier salaries for doing nothing, plus the fact it sells news papers !!!!!!

Exactly. So if we don't keep giving them their easy headlines, they've nothing to write about. Then they'll go on to find someone else to write about.

Exactly. So if we don't keep giving them their easy headlines, they've nothing to write about. Then they'll go on to find someone else to write about.

i have to say i think that this is hopelessly naive. i think we should strictly seperate the issues relating to improving our support and those relating to our image with the media.

the former should be done for its own sake - the scummy tabloids will always find something, and should be dealt with seperately.

i have to say i think that this is hopelessly naive. i think we should strictly seperate the issues relating to improving our support and those relating to our image with the media.

the former should be done for its own sake - the scummy tabloids will always find something, and should be dealt with seperately.

But 9 times out of 10, the stories about us and our support in the media are sectarian related. Whether its our staff, players or fans, they nearly always have a sectarian slant. Cut out the sectarian stuff, then we shouldn't be such an easy target.

i agree get our own home in order first and give the scum press etc nothing to go on, (i'm sure they will find something tho) then hopefully the rest might just get looked upon for doing similar but getting away with it due to the witch hunt against us and taking up all their precious story time...

i still think the guy in a rangers top who has never been to a game being arrested singing *** and the billy boys in Timbuktu will hit the papers before any other supporters singing unacceptable songs or chants, unless the press change!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been very impressed by the positives coming out from the recent supporters clubs/groups meetings and their new ideas to help eradicate our problems.

Even if we sort out our problems today, the present day press will for the coming years search every nook and cranny to find something to throw at us. If they don't find anything then they will attack our history and tell us we have only papered over the cracks. I am afraid we will have to sort out our problems and wait for a new generation of supporters and journalists before it is accepted we have changed.

There is an undoubted bias in the Scottish media against Rangers and everything we stand for. This can actually be traced further than the press and into the political spectrum. Far too many Bears are niave to this, continuing to purchase the gutter rags and voting for Scottish labour.

Below is an example of the bias in the press - can you imagine The Scum or Retard printing this photo?

hlhl2.th.jpg

Yet they have no problems printing photos, stories, half-truths and downright lies regarding Rangers players, staff and fans...

As Frankie says, we can be extremly proud of our far we have come as a support recently, but no matter how well we do, there are some (in the media and in politics) that won't be happy until we there is no Rangers (yet we are the bigots).