Rangers 0 - 2 Celtic

Why do people keep comparing Jack to Stuart McCall? I wouldn't really consider them similar players and the play in very different teams and eras.

Even so Jack has been playing his role very well in terms of holding the midfield, covering for the full-backs and recycling possession where he can. He also gets forward to reasonably good effect and, unlike most of the other players, I don't think we can aim any criticism at him so far. He's been an excellent signing all in all but I guess his biggest test will come tomorrow.

Considering that we got Jack on a free, and hurt one of our key competitors at the same time, I believe that he has been Pedro's most astute signing in the transfer window. His awareness on the field is superb, I honestly have lost count on the amount of times that he has been in position to cover Wallace and Tav, in addition to controlling the centre of the field. I think that much of what he does is not noticed as he recycles the ball that quickly,

He is not a Stuart McCall, or a Kevin Thompson, he is a very competent Ryan Jack!

Why do people keep comparing Jack to Stuart McCall? I wouldn't really consider them similar players and the play in very different teams and eras.

Dont think I was comparing them at all, in fact the opposite - i.e. i said he wasnt like McCall however did state that a McCall is the type of player we need. Would anyone not take a McCall in the side now?

Dont think I was comparing them at all, in fact the opposite - i.e. i said he wasnt like McCall however did state that a McCall is the type of player we need. Would anyone not take a McCall in the side now?

Football has changed markedly from the rigid days of 4-4-2 so a McCall terrier type of player isn't always necessary. Rossiter is perhaps a bit more suited to that kind of role but we can't keep him fit.

In any case, Jack and Dorrans are more rounded defensive midfielders and I'm happy with their contribution given the tactical changes we've seen since McCall left us almost 20 years ago.

Football has changed markedly from the rigid days of 4-4-2 so a McCall terrier type of player isn't always necessary. Rossiter is perhaps a bit more suited to that kind of role but we can't keep him fit.

In any case, Jack and Dorrans are more rounded defensive midfielders and I'm happy with their contribution given the tactical changes we've seen since McCall left us almost 20 years ago.

Yes fully agree mate with the change of the game but McCall is always going to be the measuring stick for our defensive midfielders. The terrier type is gone and Michael Carrick was the first of the breed to show that up to 10 years ago that you dont have to be a terrier in that role. But I thought with Jack we were getting a solid holding midfielder to sit infront of the defence. Its still early days for him mind so Im all for giving a season to settle.

Not sure why we'd send someone home to recover from a thigh(?) strain but I guess warmer climes may help.

As much as Alves' experience may have been vital, I've lots of faith in McCrorie and Bruno's form wasn't great.

Not sure why we'd send someone home to recover from a thigh(?) strain but I guess warmer climes may help.

As much as Alves' experience may have been vital, I've lots of faith in McCrorie and Bruno's form wasn't great.

Few people saying he has a tear, although I thought we would want him in the dressing room for experience.

No confirmation thats even Alves. I saw a Cristiano Ronaldo double working at Charles De Gauille on Wednesday.

Not sure if serious....

But that is definitely Alves, whether it is today or whether he is going somewhere in the UK etc for treatment - well those are different questions.

Edited by Waltersgotstyle