Rangers 0 - 2 Celtic

Me dreading the game and fearing another hammering is nothing to do with Alves missing the match!, or the Boyd article!.

Alves is a quality player but I don't think he has played anywhere near as good as he can and am fairly confident the young man will handle the occasion, I just don't have confidence in our team, coupled with the poor refereeing standard I just can't see how we will cope!.

I really hope I am so wrong!

I did say I was kidding about that Ian. Maybe it wasn't clear.

I think we all hope you (and many of us) are wrong. If ever we needed a strong referee and an even stronger start by our players, it's today. If we are to have any chance, we need a little bit of luck too, and we've not had much of that either so far.

a tentative 0-0

Wow. If union thinks there's even a slim chance of a 0-0, there must be some degree of confidence building. Either that or he's been on something stronger than alcohol this morning. You feeling ok mate? That's the most positive thing I've seen you post. ;-)

Wow. If union thinks there's even a slim chance of a 0-0, there must be some degree of confidence building. Either that or he's been on something stronger than alcohol this morning. You feeling ok mate? That's the most positive thing I've seen you post. ;-)

Nah, I remember Captain Cutlass telling me more years ago than I care to remember that holding on to what we start out with (a draw) often feels like a victory against the odds.

Utter Shambles Bruno Alves should be at Ibrox for Old Firm clash..whoever sanctioned his trip to Spain should hang their heads in shame, says Kris Boyd.

The defender may not be able to play against Celtic, but he could still be doing a vital job as part of the team.

INJURED or not, Bruno Alves should be at Ibrox doing everything he can to help Rangers get a result against Celtic.

The fact he’s in Madrid is an utter shambles.

There’s no other way to describe this situation, which, quite frankly, sums up everything that seems to happen at my old club these days.Alves may not be able to play at Ibrox, but he could still be doing a vital job as part of the squad.

Whoever sanctioned his trip to Spain should hang their heads in shame.It’s an absolute disgrace.Let me tell you here and now, the Portugal international doesn’t need to be anywhere other than Murray Park for treatment to his injury.

I’ve worked with the Rangers medical staff and they’re the best in the business.No, Alves should be in Glasgow, not in Spain.

I know how it works. Players with injuries tend to get time off to get treatment. But he could have flown out to Spain on Wednesday morning and been back by now.

Whether he was able to play or not, he could still have played a major part in this afternoon’s clash with Celtic.

He could be sitting alongside young Ross McCrorie before kick-off and giving him help, advice and encouragement the kid may desperately need.

At half-time he could be in the dressing room giving him pointers.I just find it staggering that Alves has been allowed to leave Glasgow the day before such an important match.

I’ll be honest, I don’t think it’s a major loss to Rangers that he’s not facing Celtic. For me, the young lad McCrorie can handle this game.

But what I will say — and I’m sure I’ll get criticised for it — is that it only underlines the lack of togetherness at that club right now.Well, they better get their finger out today because Rangers have to win this game.

If they don’t they can forget about winning the championship here and now.I’m well aware it’s a long shot anyway.

Even if they did win this game and bring Celtic’s unbeaten run to an end Brendan Rodgers’ men would still be huge favourites to go on and win the title next May.

But if Rangers lose they will be eight points adrift of Celtic and they’re simply not going to claw that back. Not. A. Chance. Let’s be realistic, in terms of their league campaign, their season would be over.

All they would be fighting for would be second spot and, frankly, that’s not good enough when we’re not even into October.

Listen, no one really expects them to finish top of the Premier League.

But if they’re out of contention this early then their manager will have some serious questions to answer.

How he’ll answer them, only he knows, because most of the stuff Caixinha has been coming out with this season has been utterly laughable.

What about his stuff the other day about Alfredo Morelos?

Caixinha decided to highlight his flaws by pointing out that he’s got a fiery temper and will need to keep his cool this afternoon.I’m sorry, but what exactly is he playing at?

Was it some sort of attempt to get into the referee’s head before kick-off?Maybe it was, but that sort of thing never works.

It also won’t have had any effect on Celtic because they’ll not be worried about Rangers in the slightest.It pains me to say that, it really does.

Rodgers is clearly a manager who focuses 100 per cent on his own team and what they’re going to do. He won’t have spent any time worrying about Morelos.

The thing is, the striker WILL need to keep his head straight because I predict a frustrating afternoon for him.He’s not going to get the touches he’s had in previous games, so it’s vital he stays calm.

He can’t get involved in anything daft, otherwise he will end up getting involved in things that he doesn’t need.It’s going to be a long afternoon for Rangers, so they need to keep 11 men on the pitch for the 90 minutes.

I’ll be very interested to see the team Caixinha picks.

The way it’s shaping up though, he’s going to have five or six players with no experience of this fixture. That’s a handful of players who could be blown away by it.

Will Kenny Miller play? That’s another interesting one because, for me, Caixinha must pick him if he wants to keep the ball in the final third.

Without his movement and ability to hold it up, the ball is just going to keep coming back.It will be wave after wave of Celtic attacks and if that’s the way it turns out then, inevitably, Rangers will lose.

And the supporters just won’t accept another humiliation like the last 5-1 defeat.

Apart from the last sentence I disagree with everything Boydy says here. This could have been written by Spiers it's so bad.

All i can say to people inside ibrox is to let the players feel their full hearted support...from start to finish. Whatever lineup, whatever way the game goes. It will be a hell of a hard game and anything can happen. But with the backing of the fans, the game could turn our way..lets make it happen. A smile on pedros face tonight would make me very happy...

So that's 8 pages before a game, must becoming a record.

Even a glance at the realities will give any reasonable mind a clear vision of the most likely outcome. Thus, getting a point will be a good result, anything beyond that is wishful thinking. The formbook might go out of the window in an Old Firm fixture, but still, we are down 4 defenders, of which 2 are first pick. The 2 central defenders are untried in OF games, one even a rookie. Tavernier needs to be fully focussed today, and Hodson at the top of his game. We need a strong DM or two who keeps the constant attack threat from their midfield as well as any antics from the Legoeater at bay, and lethal forwards taking their chances. Stranger things than a Rangers victory under the current conditions have happened, but counting on it is stretching reality.

What I would want, no matter the result, is that anyone gives his all and challenges the Yahoos throughout. If that is not enough, so be it.

The fallout should we lose will sure go beyond any reasonable measures - again.

The game will be live on Austrian online-streaming station LaolaTV, so if you want to get spared from Sky and BT commentator rubbish, this is where to watch:

http://www.laola1.tv/de-at/livestream/old-firm-rangers-celtic-glasgow-derby-live-kostenlos-2017-lde

Edited by der Berliner

Our biggest challenge today will be to nullify their wide players whom they rely on heavily.

And to ensure we don't get outnumbered in MF.

I watched them play Partick a few weeks ago & that's what Archibald did against them & it nearly worked