Ongoing new manager discussion and speculation

Rangers is in my heart but I won't be leaving Feyenoord - Giovanni van Bronckhorst

Van Bronckhorst guided Feyenoord to the Dutch title last season

FEYENOORD manager Giovanni van Bronckhorst has ruled himself out of the running for the Rangers job but hinted that he would be open to a move in the future.

The former Ibrox defender won two league titles, two Scottish Cups and League Cup during a successful spell in Scotland and has been linked with the managerial vacancy at the Gers.

He guided Feyenoord to their first Dutch title in 18 years last season and back into the Champions League group stages, but the Dutchman insisted he is going nowhere ahead of his side's clash with Manchester City tonight.

However, the 42-year-old suggested that a return to the Light Blues might be on the cards in the future as he still looks back fondly on his time with Rangers.

"I have seen the media coverage but I am fully focused at Feyenoord and I will be focusing on Feyenoord for the next years," he said.

"I obviously had a great time in Scotland with Rangers, I think one of the best times I had abroad.

"But at the moment, for me, all that counts is Feyenoord. You can never tell, maybe in the future, because it is still a club in my heart."

Not one I had considered. He is a bit under fire at Feynoord but has an injury list and off form players that would cripple most teams. There was no way he was going to leave Feynoord.

Yes you are right. Against Hamilton I saw a team which could not pass the ball, could not tackle, could not control the ball and could not find the target. I expect too much.

God knows I wish it wasn't like this and maybe one day we'll be able to look for better things. But right now the truth is we've barely picked ourselves up off the floor.

While there are degrees of it, I think being highly stylish is almost impossible in Scottish football these days, as the better the team we have, the more we'll face the parked bus.

Even Barca are not stylish when faced with a well organised, very defensive side - as Walter proved, and even they had the advantage that the referee would not allow our team to kick, stamp, wrestle and elbow them off the park.

What we need is a team that can quickly and easily change pace, tactics and formations that provide a high number of incisive attacks against a deep sitting 9 man defence, while being able to adeptly defend the counter attack.

The entertainment would come from the incessant attempts at goal, and the number of conversions.

If good football doesn't work against these awful Scottish teams, why do better footballing sides run rings around all of our teams in Europe every season? The idea that you can't play good football in this league is complete nonsense. The tims manage it for a start.

As for Barca, they play against packed defences every week and it doesn't stop them playing good football or winning by cricket scores.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

It seems a terrible defeatist attitude that we can't play football against Scottish sides.

I have no idea what you mean. We play football against Scottish sides every time we play them. Although sometimes it does look like they are playing something like rugby or wrestling against us. ;)

IMO if you believe you can play any way you like, concentrate on style over substance to please the crowds, and just win automatically, then you're just self-defeating and probably not very successful. That's not a winner's mentality. A winner analyses the game and tries to find the best tactics possible to win against the teams he has to play against, and builds the skills the team needs. Sometimes it's not to some people's taste - like Steve Davis or George Graham for instance.

Warburton tried the former and not only failed, he produced football that was not very entertaining in my eyes.

However, I have suggested another way which I think could be very exciting football. I couldn't implement it myself, but I'm sure there is someone who can. Of course I could be wrong my version of the solution, but the logic is impeccable. We need to find a very good way to beat Scottish sides - whatever it is. Like Edison, we've been successful in finding a few ways to not do it. We have done it before, but of course it often affected us in Europe.

Blaming all our bad results on bad luck won't do either.

To be honest, you seem to be spoiling for an argument with someone as I doubt there is anyone here who blames all the bad results on bad luck. It would be interesting to know whom you are referring to.

I think like me, most people understand there is a lot of luck (or effects of randomness or whatever) to football, and you can easily lose games to it, but if it keeps happening, then there is something more deterministic from the way you play or your attitude or something, as over time the luck or randomness should start to even out. When it's a team who have far greater resources than the opponents, then the majority of the time, a lot of bad luck in a game should have a worst case of a one goal win.

If good football doesn't work against these awful Scottish teams, why do better footballing sides run rings around all of our teams in Europe every season?

"Good football"? What is that really?

I have to ask you, why is it that we bring players and managers from these "better footballing sides" and they still don't do so well - and sometimes look absolutely rubbish?

For me one of the obvious answers to why our teams do so badly is that the opposition concentrate on a very physical game which is allowed here and not in Europe.

I think that also two legged cup games are different from the league and we had no problem with them last season. If Scottish teams went out in Europe to get the odd draw or sneak a win like against us, they would achieve it but still go out very early and it wouldn't make much difference. They would probably bully their way through a few rounds with Scottish referees.

The idea that you can't play good football in this league is complete nonsense. The tims manage it for a start.

Do they really? I haven't noticed this exceptionally "good football". I think that's more to do with having players who are worth ten times the wages and more. I'm pretty sure we your choice of worst manager in the world could win and somewhat entertain most of the time with their kind of money - in fact he did with a bit less with Whyte running / ruining the club.

As for Barca, they play against packed defences every week and it doesn't stop them playing good football or winning by cricket scores.

I really doubt they play Scottish style teams, especially in terms of physicality, but when you give them Scottish teams with a comparably cheaper side to what we have, who then play a quite negative style of tactics, history has shown that they don't always do so well.

Playing like Barcelona in any case, is a luxury they can literally afford. Our nearest likeness for resources in Scotland is probably Aberdeen even though it's a few orders less, but I don't see them getting much of your admiration.

Edited by calscot

ECK BLAST Ex-Rangers winger Andrei Kanchelskis launches attack on Alex McLeish and claims ‘he was a coach with a double face’

Kanchelskis - who made his name at Manchester United under Sir Alex Ferguson - was brought to Gers from Fiorentina by Dick Advocaat

FORMER Rangers winger Andrei Kanchelskis has launched a scathing attack on his former Ibrox boss Alex McLeish.

Kanchelskis was brought to Gers from Fiorentina by Dick Advocaat.

But his fortunes turned sour after McLeish replaced Advocaat in the Light Blues hot seat, with the Dutchman moving upstairs to become director of football.

He told the Daily Record: “Advocaat left and McLeish came in.

“He was a coach with a double face – today he speak with you okay and after an hour he was double faced and tell you a lot of rubbish.

“Some players from Scotland will say what I’m saying.

“One minute he will say everything is okay and the next it is, ‘You f*** off’.

“He is not a great man.”

Alex McLeish has been linked with a return to Rangers as manager

Ex-Manchester United ace Kanchelskis was at Ibrox on Saturday as Rangers – managed by caretaker boss Graeme Murty – were beaten 2-0 by Martin Canning’s Hamilton.

Earlier this year he released his autobiography Russian Winters and blasted Advocaat in the book.

The 48-year-old also said Barry Ferguson used to go to McDonald’s three times a week, a claim that Ferguson denied.

He also told how ex-Celtic star Eyal Berkovic was nicknamed ‘The Grasshopper’ by Gers players because he always pulled out of tackles, and said he enjoyed “beautiful” songs sung by Hoops supporters.

McLeish yesterday replaced Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes as the betting favourite to replace Pedro Caixinha as Rangers manager.

Nothing to do with this article but I hope it is not McLeish. I remember he bashed Moore for going to the olympics and then played him even although he had just stepped off the plane.

Edited by pete