Ongoing new manager discussion and speculation

O'Neill, Pardew, Pulis ... will always be regarded as second or third choice folk who failed more often than they succeeded. No-one know how any of them would handle the Scottish environment and all the demands of our club. We'll only know if it is being tried.

I still have hope that somewhere in the background our DoF and some board members device a plan to check out whether Sir Walter would take over the seat in the middle, more a figure-head and rock of stability than a full time coach, while we hire an up-and-come and successfull young chap like Graham Potter (Swedish league season should be over soonish) as his right hand and groom him for half a year, so he takes over all responsibilities in the summer, after learning what it means to be a Rangers gaffer.

I still have hope that somewhere in the background our DoF and some board members device a plan to check out whether Sir Walter would take over the seat in the middle, more a figure-head and rock of stability than a full time coach,

Walter is 69 and enjoying his retirement. I can't see any way that he would come back into the running of the club on any sort of regular basis. He may come back on the board as a non-exec and attend a few meetings a year, but I doubt he'll be interested in anything more than that.

Right now I think we need to get someone in who doesn't require compensation, and have a mutual contract where they agree to leave if certain performance criteria aren't met, in return for them going for free if they are doing well and another club comes in for them and they want to leave.

They would leave anyway and so it's all about the compensation. By our recent record we'd save more than we'd gain, and this makes any appointment far less risky.

I think there would be two types of takers, those who are out of a job but want back in the game, have self belief and don't want to go down the ladder too much, and those that have ambition, have been successful in the past , but recently had a blip and want to use us as a stepping stone back to a job in a richer league.

If i'm honest, I wouldn't want to see Walter back in that kind of role, not because I don't think he could do it successfully as, I have no doubt he would steady the ship and transform the team, but, if anybody has earned a relaxing retirement, its him. He also went out at the top and I'd prefer it stayed that way

Not one for now as he is too inexperienced but watch John van;t schip at PEC Zwolle. They were up to 3rd in the Dutch league until yesterday where they totally outplayed PSV but failed to score then they lost a goal through a keepers blunder with the last kick of the ball. He has them playing fantastic football with hardly a pass that does not have a reason. He spent 7 years in Australia so his English will be good. Definitely one to watch.

If Eck gets the gig, I think I'd have to consider removing all opportunity to discuss Rangers in my life.

The longer this shambles goes on, the more I'd like to see Walter Smith brought back. How sad is that?

I don't think it is sad at all. Walter simply wouldn't allow some of the weak-willed shite we have been subjected to since 2012.

To be honest, and I know this is tin-hat stuff, I would take Walter for 18 months before Eck or McInnes.