Rangers striker Matthew Shiels handed shock call-up to Ireland under-18 squad

The Glasgow native has been called up by*Jim Crawford despite playing for Scotland at under-16 level and featuring in under-17 squads.

RANGERS striker Matthew Shiels has been handed a shock call-up by Ireland Under-18s in a move that could start another Scotland v Ireland row.

Glasgow native Shiels has been capped by Scotland at Under-16 level and been included in Under-17 squads.

But now the 17-year-old Gers youngster is going to try his luck with Ireland.

He has been included in a 20-strong pool by Ireland youth boss Jim Crawford for a quadrangular tournament near Murcia in Spain.

In recent years, two other Glaswegians, Aiden McGeady and James McCarthy, have thrown in their lot with Ireland but neither had played for Scotland beforehand.

Ireland play Belgium on Thursday, Holland on Saturday and the Czech Republic on Monday with all games at the Pinatar Arena.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/1803865/rangers-striker-matthew-shiels-handed-shock-call-ireland-under-18-squad/

Nationality is a funny thing. For some people it's black and white, if you were born in a particular country that's where your from that's the country you should feel everything for. But it's not that way for many people. Aside from those of us who simply don't have a great deal of 'national pride' in us there are people who have mixed backgrounds, a parent or grandparent from somewhere else can make a difference to how someone feels about that country. Then there's the pragmatic nationalist, perhaps like this lad, who maybe feels Ireland (Republic of or Northern Ireland, that article isn't clear?) offers a better route to full international football, a career in the game and more money and opportunities.

But, there probably isn't a story here if the boy didn't play for Rangers. That's the angle, isn't it? This lad should be staunch, hate Ireland and everything about it, that's the stereotype after all. Boo him and abuse him on social media so we can report that tomorrow.

Is he any good?

I can't see how this is a non-story when it was clearly a big story here for previous players. The press are transparently anti-Rangers most of the time, but to be fair, this is definitely a story, albeit a small one. And it does have the added spice of what Rangers fans think of this after many pilloried the previous players for doing it. Are we going to be hypocritical about it?

To me, the "nothing to see here" attitude is not unlike the Celtic fans criticising why the press are focusing on the tax affairs of DD. When you make a hoo ha about someone else, you set yourself up for scrutiny when the boot is on the other foot.

If your mum and dad are Scottish, you should play for Scotland. That's my view.

I have no idea what Shiels' story is, so can't really comment on him specifically. Although anyone choosing to play for Rep of Ireland over Scotland is always disappointing.

Nationality is a funny thing. For some people it's black and white, if you were born in a particular country that's where your from that's the country you should feel everything for. But it's not that way for many people. Aside from those of us who simply don't have a great deal of 'national pride' in us there are people who have mixed backgrounds, a parent or grandparent from somewhere else can make a difference to how someone feels about that country. Then there's the pragmatic nationalist, perhaps like this lad, who maybe feels Ireland (Republic of or Northern Ireland, that article isn't clear?) offers a better route to full international football, a career in the game and more money and opportunities.

But, there probably isn't a story here if the boy didn't play for Rangers. That's the angle, isn't it? This lad should be staunch, hate Ireland and everything about it, that's the stereotype after all. Boo him and abuse him on social media so we can report that tomorrow.

Is he any good?

My 13 yr old son was born in Bermuda and considers himself Bermudian, despite now living in Scotland. I would, however, be devastated if he didn't choose one of either England (his mother and I both born there, but consider ourselves Scottish - raised in Scotland from early age) or Scotland (my parents born there)

Matthew Shiels is, from last time I saw him which was a couple of years ago, a very decent player - a striker who knows where the goals are. When I was at Auchenhowie on a cold, damp October evening his team wasn't training that night but Shiels showed up to train with one of the younger teams because he was coming back from injury and was desperate to get fit again.

It would be sad however if he turns out to be as bitter and IMO bigoted as the other two.

You never know I guess, but having witnessed seeing him train and his interactions with both coaches and team-mates he seems like a very level-headed young kid.

If your mum and dad are Scottish, you should play for Scotland. That's my view.

I have no idea what Shiels' story is, so can't really comment on him specifically. Although anyone choosing to play for Rep of Ireland over Scotland is always disappointing.

I would say either mum or dad....or if you've lived here for a certain amount of time....say 5 years

Edited by colinstein