I've never thought of Barry as captain material - even when he was winning us the treble before Blackburn. The nonsense under PLG underlined it as do his performances as captain of Scotland. I think it's detrimental to his game in the same way it held McStay back as captain of Celtic. They were both too busy thinking about what others were doing to concentrate on their own games - in BFs case, breaking beynd the strikers, controling the game and in McStay's playing square passes.

Anyway, I don't really see anyone in next years potential squad as captain material. Weir also has never really struck me as a captain and he's only here short term, Hemdani is French - surrender monkey - and I have always felt the captain should have English as his native tongue (another mark against BF!). Thompson I think is too young, so who is it to be?

I think when Walter goes window shopping, this should be something he seriously considers. Not only does he need an improved class of player, he needs to find himself an on-field lieutenant!

Any ideas????

I think it will be difficult to appoint another captain while Barry is at the club. And even then we need to bring in a captain of high repute and there isn't anyone in our price bracket of the right nationality to do it.

I think we need someone British but how can you top the captain of Scotland on our budget?

Our only hope would have been to sign Pressley but we missed out there.

But while Fergie is at the club it would be suicidal to the team spirit to try and replace him with someone younger and less successful and experienced.

Bit of a redundant subject as long as Barry is at the club as Calscot says.

Barry has his good and bad points. Too often he is ready to shift the blame onto someone else on the pitch if one of his passes goes astray or a move breaks down.

But he is a fighter, that is for sure, he knows how to drive the team forward and when the team isnt doing what he wants he takes matters into his own hands.

He does need better quality players around him though, until then we are stuck i feel.

Agree with Juffery here but the only way Ferguson wont be the captain is if we sell him and I cant see Smith doing that.

Weir and Webster may be the only other possibilities at the moment, or maybe an outside shout for Hutton as his performances and attitude has been superb of late.

Prso would be the only suitable foreigner but he is away at the end of the season.

This subject bores me too tears. It always ends up with guys either grabbin their pitchforks and attacking fergie or they are grabbin their shields in his defence.

Fair eough. I happen to feel it's a legitimate point. I think the captaincy has always weighed heavy on Barry's shoulders and stifled his ability. To get the best out of Barry and for Barry to get the best out his career, whether here or elsewhere, I think a new captain is needed.

Fair eough. I happen to feel it's a legitimate point. I think the captaincy has always weighed heavy on Barry's shoulders and stifled his ability. To get the best out of Barry and for Barry to get the best out his career, whether here or elsewhere, I think a new captain is needed.

I could agree with you there 100% but i feel selling him is not an option.

I don't think we've got a natural leader at the moment. Davie Weir would be a shoe-in if he was a bit more vocal on the pitch, but at the moment I'd like to see us sign someone experienced who will really play with his heart on his sleeve and give him the armband. Its a cliche, but I think its true at the moment.