Pena was clearly a gamble. Every report on him from Mexico suggested he has ability but has lost his way in recent years. I'm not sure a club like Rangers is the place for someone to find their way again. You can't have more than a couple of poor games before a decent percentage of the support will be on your back, plus the scrutiny Rangers players face day in day out is difficult for some players to adjust too. Add in the obvious cultural differences to everyday life and the odds are against Pena making it with us.

It's difficult to judge him though, none of us have seen enough, but Murty sees him everyday and clearly hasn't fancied him so far. Perhaps he'll score the winner tomorrow night and become an instant cult hero, stranger things have happened.

I don't think we can afford not to play him.

Yes, we know he's inconsistent, lacks sharpness and is somewhat of a luxury. But he's our most expensive player and needs to be persevered with unless we want to lose the thick end of £3m.

Simple! he doesnt trust him or believe in him. He would rather rely on Miller!
I totally get why Murty thinks that. I wouldn't trust him either. The amount of times he gives possession away because his 1st touch is either extremely bad or non existent.

Yes, we know he's inconsistent, lacks sharpness and is somewhat of a luxury. But he's our most expensive player and needs to be persevered with unless we want to lose the thick end of £3m.

I don't see it like that. He's not good enough so shouldn't be near he team. We need 11 players on the pitch, he's worse than a man down.

He is no more of a luxury than Nico Krancjar, quite frankly.

What concerns me is the possibility -read probability- that KM, not content with his current role as defensive midfield striker, is exerting an influence on the make up and formation of the team.

Personally, I think that Pena has to start a run of games, and if that relegates the Bald Ego to the bench, so be it.

If Murty has a problem dealing with the fallout, the DoF should step in.

Actually, Pena seems to me one of those boys who needs to play constantly to preserve his fitness and form.

Miller is hardly much better!

Miller's 2nd touch is almost always a tackle. At least Carlton Cole was a midfielder who didn't have any great expectations of a decent 1st touch.... Miller is supposed to be a striker where 1st touch is crucial.

I reckon my Mrs could control the ball better than Miller - and she is shite !

Surely one of the best ways to combat that is to play him???

Also, It keeps him in the shop window for potential buyers. If he's not paying, we can forget about clawing back any of the original fee.

Miller's 2nd touch is almost always a tackle. At least Carlton Cole was a midfielder who didn't have any great expectations of a decent 1st touch.... Miller is supposed to be a striker where 1st touch is crucial.

I'd be more concerned about Miller actually GETTING a 1st touch, never mind what he does with a 2nd.

At least Miller controls the ball. Pena lets it go under his studs.