The Perfect Storm Engulfs Ibrox

Perhaps a question to the older bears but who can remember the last time you felt we had a competent board running the club with a long term plan for our future? I can't recall one in my lifetime. This current board is just more of what we're used to.

Willie Wadell would not sign expensive players until Ibrox was rebuilt. Team wise it was a pain in the backside and crowds were down to 15.000 for some games but he did leave a fantastic stadium.

Edited by pete

When I started going to watch the Gers in the early sixties I had no thoughts about how football clubs were run and don't recall any problems as player came and went were bought and sold and things ran smoothly.

It is after the likes of John Lawrence and others of that ilk sold out I became aware of "Boards" in the club.

Things then became silly with David Murray's blinkered approach towards being better than the Mhanks and money being spent more than came back and the slippery slope continued on and on.

From then the rest is recent history.

Perhaps a question to the older bears but who can remember the last time you felt we had a competent board running the club with a long term plan for our future? I can't recall one in my lifetime. This current board is just more of what we're used to.

I think that's a fair assessment. I can't think of one either. Perhaps what has changed now is the need for a board to be more visible. When the team is playing well and winning, it's all about on the field. However, we have so much going on off the field that we need those leaders to step forward and sort it out. I just don't get any sense of comfort at the moment. If I felt we had that person in place, I'd be happy to let them get on with it. As I said before, I think DK has the skills and the right motives, but he clearly doesn't have the time nor inclination to take a more executive role. That's a pity.

A reasoned view and well written but paints a gloomy picture.

Hopefully backsides will be kicked at AGM to force action and stop inaction.

It is gloomy but it's all fixable. The conclusions of the article are sensible but they're also readily achievable and don't require us to discover a diamond mine under the Albion Car Park.

That's surely a positive after where we've come from over the last few years.

The boards from 1986-1997 ran the club well. We did NIAR and came out the other end with cash in the bank.

It was from 1998 onwards that the spending got silly and SDM/the board lost control of the financial situation..

There are some things the Board have set out to do which suggests some strategic direction. They’ve agreed that the DOF & Coach set up is the direction they want. They’ve got the Scouting set up going, which can only be judged in the longer term. They are trying to improve Ibrox. They’ve got the Fan zone off the ground. We’ve even now got 3 mascots:) So I’m sure the AGM will point out these positives to show that they have a direction they want to go in.

Where they have done badly is in their handling of the manager. It seems the MW was wanting out and the board was happy for him to go, so I don’t blame the Board for that. They took their time to appoint Pedro, which again was OK, and it looked like he would give them the style of play they wanted. However that was not to be and from then on it all went wrong. Whatever you may think of Pedro, the manner of his departure did not cover the Board in glory. They appeared to side with players rather than the manager. They had no succession in mind and dumpted it on Murty.

Normally when a club’s managerial post becomes vacant you hear from them that they’s had so many applications. They’ve drawn up a shortlist. They will be interviewing over a period and hope to appoint at such a time. We’ve heard nothing – only from those people who the media link with us to say they’ve not been approached. Now it may be that the Board are being very canny and they are talking to people who we are not even thinking about but I think an indication from them of timescales etc may reassure us that they’ve got it all in hand. Hearing nothing makes us fear that they are not in control of events.