After another league defeat at home.....

Teams such as Ross County, St Johnstone etc come to Ibrox, park the bus & play one up front.

Why do we persist with a flat back four and a defensive MF player ?

Should we not at least try & look at playing 3-5-2 or 3-4-2-1 or something?

Watching the game today I felt we never got a hold of the MF early on and we were getting overrun and outnumbered as is too often the case in these games. And I'm not sure we're good enough to play one striker up front with our current personnel we've got.. At least not in these type of games

Or am I watching a different game from everyone else?

Teams such as Ross County, St Johnstone etc come to Ibrox, park the bus & play one up front.

Why do we persist with a flat back four and a defensive MF player ?

Should we not at least try & look at playing 3-5-2 or 3-4-2-1 or something?

Watching the game today I felt we never got a hold of the MF early on and we were getting overrun and outnumbered as is too often the case in these games. And I'm not sure we're good enough to play one striker up front with our current personnel we've got.. At least not in these type of games

Or am I watching a different game from everyone else?

Yes a 3-5-2 could have been a good option pushing Tav and John forward. With Candeias and Windass playing wide and Morelos dropping deep we sometimes had totally nobody in the strikers role. As to why Pena was not even on the bench is a mystery.

Regarding Pena ... from FF

He was in the directors box with Alnwick, Dalcio, and Cardoso

The other 3 left sharpish 87 min. He was following but held back holding the rail kicking every ball for another minute.

Fact remains that people are hardly given any time at Rangers to make their mark or impress. Some receive instant FLAK for any sort of slip (for whatever reason springs to mind), other get a little longer.

What makes it extra-difficlt for both Herrera and Pena is that we don't play a system they prefer that often, as well as having no game time whatsoever in a more settled line-up. How should they ever adapt? Given yesterday, we should instantly arrange a friendly this week and play a 3-5-2 with Morelos and Herrera up front, Niko and Pena in MF, Candeias and John on the flanks. We simply need to get these chaps up to match speed and awareness.

I see Niko getting pelters like there is no tomorrow, yet, he came on when the game was lost already by the 11 on the park. He sclaffed a few shots, but then set up Windass (and Tav too, methinks) with the sort of clevver passes that can change games. Only for those on the receiving end not able to convert. He was required as the focal point of our defensive work, as it was, we had none and most balls up top came back from the well drilled Saints defence.

I would expect that Pena and Niko can work well with one another, and Candeias too.

I don't think we can afford to play Pena and Niko is the same side. They are both passengers for long spells.

Niko is finished but I still have hope for Pena and he can create/make space, which is exactly what's needed against defensive formations.

I don't think we can afford to play Pena and Niko is the same side. They are both passengers for long spells.

Niko is finished but I still have hope for Pena and he can create/make space, which is exactly what's needed against defensive formations.

Sounds like a nightmare combination to me.

Just imagine it! Kranjčar and Peña behind the striker. Who is the striker? I don't know because Morelos is playing out on the left! :laugh2: