Murphy signs on loan - official

Already the work on the squad seems to be going in the right direction,Murphy looks like a no-brainer, Goss sounds like a good loan deal,tying up the McCrorie brothers and others good business,bulking up the pool with returning loanees.

Does this not suggest we simply don’t have enough cash available and need to wait for the ST money? Regardless, I’d like to see what little money we do have focused on younger players we can turn profits on. That should be a no brainer. Murphy is 29 this year and it’s unlikely we’re going to make any money on this.

Until we can start developing decent players for significant profits, we will remain stuck in the dark ages.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

Not every player can be a McCrorie or Tierney.

It's important you have experience in the team as well and Murphy only turned 28 last August (see what I did there) and is about to enter his prime so he could have at least 3-5 years ahead of him.  As such the value to the club could be in what he offers now as opposed to a future fee.

We don't have the luxury of signing a Morgan and sending him back out on loan.  We need results now.

2 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

Why continue to circulate it?

Because we are on a football forum to discuss all things Rangers. You pick out one section My post went further.

Players in their early to mid 20’s can still easily come in and get results now. As a club we have an embarrassing history for wasting cash on players. The cash spent on Murphy is huge to us and surely that should be going on someone who could one day generate substantial profit. I said the same the day we signed Joe Garner and look how that turned out. 

Look at van Dijk, signed for 2.6m by the tims in his early 20’s and the rest is history. We need to be making signings like this, rather than wasting even more cash.

1 hour ago, Frankie said:

Not every player can be a McCrorie or Tierney.

It's important you have experience in the team as well and Murphy only turned 28 last August (see what I did there) and is about to enter his prime so he could have at least 3-5 years ahead of him.  As such the value to the club could be in what he offers now as opposed to a future fee.

We don't have the luxury of signing a Morgan and sending him back out on loan.  We need results now.

You will be saying someone is still in their prime at 42 next.:laugh2:

We need to bring in players who can get us 2nd place.  Whether they're 19 or 29, whether they're loans or permanent signings is obviously a talking point but ultimately, not the be all and end all.  

I want us to get 2nd and beat the Tims this season.  Not too much to ask, I hope.

1 hour ago, pete said:

I haven't given up hope in winning the league just yet. I think teams have sussed Celtic.

I think that ship has sailed.

Apart from anything else, we've yet to go on a decent winning run, never managing more than two on the trot before Murty managed four.

Unfortunately, that was followed by two defeats.

We need to be winning eight or nine games on the bounce several times a season before we can even think about challenging.

A solid second place and at least one victory over the yahoos would be a successful end to the season from here.

Having said all that, stranger things have happened. :D