Murphy signs on loan - official

GRAEME MURTY believes new signing Jamie Murphy can add a ‘different dimension’ to his Rangers team and that he can force his way back into the Scotland squad during his time at Ibrox.

Murty knows all about the winger having followed his career closely over the years and he is looking forward to working with the former Brighton star this week in Florida after he signed an initial loan deal until the end of this season.

The move will become permanent in the summer and the Gers boss is delighted to have another talented playmaker on board.

Speaking to RangersTV, he said: “I think it’s great. He is one we identified really early for that left-flank slot.

“He brings a wealth of experience and he’s had glowing endorsements from not only coaching staff and managers, but also players that I’ve played with, that have played with him, in terms of the character that he is, and he was another one who was desperate to come.

He’s a Rangers fan and I think he brings recognisable attributes and he can go and contribute straight away, and that was really important.

“Hopefully he can come in and hit the ground running because if he does he’s a definite asset for us and we need to find a way to get the best out of him.

“I think bringing him in brings a different dimension to the team and I’m really excited about that.

“Speaking to people who know him, they speak well of his level head and his inclusion within the group.

“He was a contributing factor to Brighton going up, but I think he’s a more mature guy now.

“He’s still exciting and he’s still got pace, he’s still got the ability to beat a man and deliver an end product in the final third, but he’s not a boy anymore.

“He’s now a man ready to shoulder a man’s burden in the team hopefully, and we’re really excited to get this more polished article and give him a stage that’s ready for him to shine on.

I don’t see any reason why he can’t attract national interest at the full level because I’m sure that’s one of the reason he’s come back, to be in their mindset and hopefully help us push on.”

At 28, Murty feels his new recruit is moving to Rangers at the peak of his career.

He added: “I think it speaks volumes about what we are going to do.

“He understands the journey that we are on currently and I think it’s exciting for him to get on almost at the start and understand the length we have to go but the vision that we have for it.

“That’s my job this week, to impart that vision, to say ‘right, this is where we want to be by the end of this year’.

“At the end of this season what do we want to achieve? That’s one of the key messages I’m going to try and hammer in this week.

I’ve got a clear vision in my mind what we want to achieve this season, it’s my job to impart that and hopefully the rest of the squad are as excited as Jamie about achieving that.

“If we do that then we can push on together and make sure the rest of this season is a successful one.”

6 hours ago, Ser Barristan Selmy said:

Players in their early to mid 20’s can still easily come in and get results now. As a club we have an embarrassing history for wasting cash on players. The cash spent on Murphy is huge to us and surely that should be going on someone who could one day generate substantial profit. I said the same the day we signed Joe Garner and look how that turned out. 

Look at van Dijk, signed for 2.6m by the tims in his early 20’s and the rest is history. We need to be making signings like this, rather than wasting even more cash.

Sometimes i think you just desperately need your hole but then i suspect youd hate it if it ever happens. 

20 hours ago, Robert said:

I think that ship has sailed.

Apart from anything else, we've yet to go on a decent winning run, never managing more than two on the trot before Murty managed four.

Unfortunately, that was followed by two defeats.

We need to be winning eight or nine games on the bounce several times a season before we can even think about challenging.

A solid second place and at least one victory over the yahoos would be a successful end to the season from here.

Having said all that, stranger things have happened. :D

I would agree in general but the league has been so unpredictable this season you just never know what a good run could do. And I feel that even before new signings come in this team is capable of mounting a consistent run.

Earlier in the season I would have disliked missing weeks of competitive action because the team needed to gel but all things considered this Winter break is beneficial to us. 

53 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I would agree in general but the league has been so unpredictable this season you just never know what a good run could do. And I feel that even before new signings come in this team is capable of mounting a consistent run.

Earlier in the season I would have disliked missing weeks of competitive action because the team needed to gel but all things considered this Winter break is beneficial to us. 

The problem with this is that they have spent the last 5 months proving that they actually are NOT capable of mounting a consistent run.

tears of joy

Rangers new signing Jamie Murphy reveals his dad cried when he competed his move from Brighton the Ibrox

The former Motherwell striker joined up with his new teammates in Florida and insists his best years are ahead of him after finalising his initial loan deal

JAMIE MURPHY summed up his transfer to Rangers in one word: Manic.

The Brighton winger finally joined up with his new Ibrox team-mates at their winter training camp in Florida on Sunday night after completing a loan move.

He admits it is a relief to finally seal a switch to his boyhood heroes and the former Motherwell star hopes his spells in England with Sheffield United and Brighton will set him up to do the business with Gers.

Speaking to Rangers TV, he said: “I’m delighted to be here. The transfer lasted a few days but I’m glad it all went through.

“The last couple of days was a bit manic but to come over and meet all the boys has been a great start.

“I feel the best years are ahead of me. I have had a good career down in England and I am looking to kick on the same as Rangers are – everything is looking up.

“There was a little tear in my dad’s eye when we were doing all the signing stuff so it’s a big thing.

“Obviously being from Glasgow I know what it’s like supporting the club, so I’m going to do everything I can to try and help Rangers become successful again.”

“You learn from experiences and I have learned a lot from playing in League One, the Championship and the Premiership in England.

“I have played in a lot of big games down there and hopefully that stands me in good stead here.

“I am looking forward to working with the coaching staff. Having met them they seem like good guys and good coaches.

“They tried their best to get me here so it is up to me to do my best to win games for them.”

Rangers will face Atletico Mineiro and Corinthians in the Florida Cup and Murphy believes it can set them up nicely for the second half of the season.

He added: “When I heard there was a trip away I thought it was a good thing in terms of team bonding and getting to know each other.

“I know Jason Holt from our time together at Sheffield United and I played with Danny Wilson with the Scotland Under-21s,  so it is good to see some familiar faces when you walk in the door.

“We have two tough games which will give us some match practice to hopefully set us up for the rest of the season.”

On 07/01/2018 at 18:52, Robert said:

I think that ship has sailed.

Apart from anything else, we've yet to go on a decent winning run, never managing more than two on the trot before Murty managed four.

Unfortunately, that was followed by two defeats.

We need to be winning eight or nine games on the bounce several times a season before we can even think about challenging.

A solid second place and at least one victory over the yahoos would be a successful end to the season from here.

Having said all that, stranger things have happened. :D

Obviously our results are vital in the 2nd half of the season....however, Ceptic are not doing overly well themselves - they have been dropping a fairly substantial amount of points through multiple drawn matches.  As long as they continue to do that, the gap will certainly not widen....but gives us even incentive to draw closer.

7 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Oh ye of little faith. :)

It’s nothing to do with faith mate, it’s based on the statistics of the last 5 months.

The only consistency we have shown is that we are inconsistent.

can we go on a prolonged run of victories ?  Sure, the positivist in me says yes.  But the facts before us say no.  Hopefully “the past is no indication of the future” holds true for us !