Florida Cup (and training camp) thread

50 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

That includes the chaps we had between 2012 and Warburton's arrival? Not to mention the hammer throwers that run about in Scottish tier 4 to 2.

Sometimes you wish people would stop with these obviously warped statements. Not least when they know better. And i have no doubts that they will now dig in and defend their opinion with claw and teeth.

No no I take on board your points , and we have had some absolute roasters , but Dalcio is right up there IMHO 

3 hours ago, Rousseau said:

The basic shape in both halves is 4-2-3-1. We've had Cadeias-MOH in the second-half, and Murphy-Atekayi in the first-half playing wide. 

With Murphy arriving, and Candeias still our best creator -- the league's best creator -- we will maybe see more of the 4-2-3-1 when the league starts back up. With Barjonas, Halliday and Goss coming in, we have a fair few options in the middle too.

Murphy, Candeias and Windass playing behind Morelos could be a very good combination for us.

Development team or not, Windass showed last night that he MUST play behind the main striker or not at all.  He is far, far more effective playing behind the striker centrally.

1 hour ago, der Berliner said:

That includes the chaps we had between 2012 and Warburton's arrival? Not to mention the hammer throwers that run about in Scottish tier 4 to 2.

Sometimes you wish people would stop with these obviously warped statements. Not least when they know better. And i have no doubts that they will now dig in and defend their opinion with claw and teeth.

Rich coming from you dB.  You dig in with your opinion all the time - which is your prerogative - but to have a go at others for the same is rich.

15 minutes ago, craig said:

Murphy, Candeias and Windass playing behind Morelos could be a very good combination for us.

Development team or not, Windass showed last night that he MUST play behind the main striker or not at all.  He is far, far more effective playing behind the striker centrally.

Absolutely.

The next issue is who is best to support them -- both offensively and defensively. Jack and McCrorie could be a good double-pivot? 

3 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Absolutely.

The next issue is who is best to support them -- both offensively and defensively. Jack and McCrorie could be a good double-pivot? 

Would be very tough on Jack to lose his spot and I would be building my team around McCrorie, despite his youth..... but I really liked the look of Goss last night - good first touch, always offering himself for the pass, head turning on a swivel, creating space for himself, and his vertical passing was very good too.

1 minute ago, craig said:

Would be very tough on Jack to lose his spot and I would be building my team around McCrorie, despite his youth..... but I really liked the look of Goss last night - good first touch, always offering himself for the pass, head turning on a swivel, creating space for himself, and his vertical passing was very good too.

I'd wait until you see him do it in a competitive 90 minutes.

Which (90 mins) he has never managed to do at first team level and he's 23 years old.

1 minute ago, craig said:

Carrick-esque! 

Jack can sit either way, but McCrorie gives more of a driving presence, while Goss is more of a deep-lying playmaker. Depends on the opposition, I suppose.

Actually, a 4-1-4-1 with McCrorie behind Goss and Jack would give us a good strong base against the 'better' teams. Maybe allows a three-at-the-back too.

I don't want to get too far ahead of myself! I'm too easily excited!

18 minutes ago, buster. said:

I'd wait until you see him do it in a competitive 90 minutes.

Which (90 mins) he has never managed to do at first team level and he's 23 years old.

Absolutely buster.  It was only a friendly - and the opponents weren't all "blood and snotters" like what he will face in Scotland.

But from his showing last night he was calm, assured, confident, always looking to receive the ball to do something with it, happy to get forward, strong enough in the tackle and created space for himself.

The proof will be against the likes of Motherwell when he will suffer 90 minutes of assault.  But on his showing last night the boy most definitely has talent.

17 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Carrick-esque! 

Jack can sit either way, but McCrorie gives more of a driving presence, while Goss is more of a deep-lying playmaker. Depends on the opposition, I suppose.

Actually, a 4-1-4-1 with McCrorie behind Goss and Jack would give us a good strong base against the 'better' teams. Maybe allows a three-at-the-back too.

I don't want to get too far ahead of myself! I'm too easily excited!

The problem with that 4-1-4-1 is that McCrorie would be the 1 (makes sense) which would mean that Goss and Jack would be the central 2 in the "4" - presumably that would mean Candeias and Murphy as the wide players in the 4 - which also makes sense.  This means that Windass has no spot though - and I must admit that the way he attacks at pace, direct and also has shown he can finish, has me hoping he gets an extended run in the "10" because I think the timing of his runs between the lines is excellent.  I would be disappointed if we didn't go with Windass behind the striker.... which would mean he would play alongside either Jack OR Goss....

Not a bad problem to have in fairness.