Celtic fan behind a new film about downfall of Rangers claims he received death threats

9 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Some of the songs and flags sung and flown at every Rangers match suggest there are many who feel otherwise.  Your 'bear' comment is a bit odd - why the inverted commas?  

I have no problem with wearing green, eating green vegetables, watching Father Ted or listening to Rory Gallagher, for the record.  

I'd suspect most of the folk joining in on the singing are doing what I've done since first going to Ibrox - joining in on the atmosphere while watching the team I love playing football. It's called entertainment, just like shouting look behind you at a panto.

I have sang and will continue to do that.

I'm a Rangers fan and that's all. How my politics or religious views go are my business and nobody elses. 

You're right, "many" are not like me. It doesn't make them or me wrong though.

I've been in the company of some of those ubers both at matches here and abroad. More often than I'd prefer  tbh.

Larkin is the latest member of a group led by Phil 3 names that I referred to as the Magobbligooks in a response to Paul McConville's attack on me in his Random Thoughts Re Scots Law blog a few years ago. The mission of the Magobbligooks, whose executive branch at the time included Alex Thomson, McConville and Phil himself, was the destruction of Rangers FC.

I explained how this was an impossible mission for the simple reason that the nature of Rangers was something that couldn't be destroyed. While always doomed in their effort to destroy Rangers, the Magobbligooks would be very successful in destroying something very unique that had taken more than a century of evolution to create.

This was part of my response to McConville:

The Old Firm was essentially a theatrical pantomime where Billy Boy and republican anthems echoed throughout the land, preventing the testosterone fuelled blue and green masses from actualizing carnage – a psychological proxy, if you will.

The following paragraph illustrates the nature of this peculiar paradoxical symbiosis of this lost horizon that was the Old Firm:

While growing up in Springburn hardly a day went by that I, or any other wain for that matter, didn’t beat up a catholic or, in the alternative, was beaten up by one; and later that same a day, I invariably, as many protestant wains did, returned home from the public park with an arm around my best pal – a catholic.

On Saturday afternoon fathers taught their sons to hate their old firm rival; and invariably, those same fathers, got pished together on the same Saturday night. and, on their way home from the pub, while calling one another a fenian and orange bastard, they supported each other until they arrived at the close where they both faced a common enemy - she who must be obeyed.

These same Old Firm supporters were also brothers in arms annually when they met another common enemy – the English.

They were the unified vociferous nucleus of the Scotland support.

Like most symbiotic relationships, though, it was fragile entity.

It didn’t take much for the magobbligooks to undermine it.

After their considerable efforts, Scotland awoke one day to hordes of predominantly Catholic Celtic supporters, Scotsmen of irish ancestry who had once considered themselves Scottish but who were now Irish..

Many glorified ira terrorists.

Some joined their ranks to murder innocents, and others donated to the cause of terrorism.

The tricolour was no longer a prop to be waved at parkhead in the wonderful Old Firm pantomime, now it was a call to arms.

Allegiance was for the Republic of Ireland football team and not Scotland.

It was a new dawn. Scottish born players of irish descent who, unlike the Paddy Crerands, rejected the Scottish jersey for an irish Republican one.

On that same day, in response, hordes of Protestant Rangers supporters, Scotsmen who once considered themselves more Scottish than British were now more British than Scottish.

The Union Jack was no longer a prop to be waved at Ibrox in the wonderful Old Firm pantomime,

Now it was also a call to arms;

These Scotsmen now rejoiced at the defeat of their national team.

Many glorified the UDA.

Some joined their ranks while others donated to their cause.

While there are still some enclaves of this unique protestant/catholic relationship, as some posters on here have described, they are sadly, thanks to the Magobbligooks, only a vestige of what once was the Old firm and Scotland.

Edited by baxterboy

Nice post baxterboy. It sums up my thoughts on what happened and how we got to where we are now. Some who possess more youth than I do maybe don't understand how things were in the past and I've had many discussions with them over the years.

Imo the changes began when Ireland erupted. The divide between the supports had always been there but apart from the few zealots on both sides, the phrase 90 minute bigot  was probably correct. But that phrase only came later when instead of recognising thousands of hard working men blowing off steam for an hour and a half a couple of times a year, the mock offended complained about the language and songs being used.

Ireland changed all that. I began to notice more union flags than saltires at Ibrox. Something I never thought I'd see. I remember driving home from Wembley with my dad in 1965. Various folk were hitch-hiking back up the road but I kept saying, nah when dad asked if we should pick them up. We approached a roundabout on the outskirts of London where 3 men were standing. Dad said, what about them ? I was about to say no when one of the guys pulled out and began waving a Rangers scarf. We dropped them off at Rutherglen after they'd bought our dinner and left a load of change in my hand.

The union flag was something the English waved when their team played. Not now though. Civil war across the water changed it all in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, boabie said:

Nice post baxterboy. It sums up my thoughts on what happened and how we got to where we are now. Some who possess more youth than I do maybe don't understand how things were in the past and I've had many discussions with them over the years.

Imo the changes began when Ireland erupted. The divide between the supports had always been there but apart from the few zealots on both sides, the phrase 90 minute bigot  was probably correct. But that phrase only came later when instead of recognising thousands of hard working men blowing off steam for an hour and a half a couple of times a year, the mock offended complained about the language and songs being used.

Ireland changed all that. I began to notice more union flags than saltires at Ibrox. Something I never thought I'd see. I remember driving home from Wembley with my dad in 1965. Various folk were hitch-hiking back up the road but I kept saying, nah when dad asked if we should pick them up. We approached a roundabout on the outskirts of London where 3 men were standing. Dad said, what about them ? I was about to say no when one of the guys pulled out and began waving a Rangers scarf. We dropped them off at Rutherglen after they'd bought our dinner and left a load of change in my hand.

The union flag was something the English waved when their team played. Not now though. Civil war across the water changed it all in my opinion.

I agree boabie, it changed from 1970 onwards, then went to another level when our troubles started.