Liam Burt contract

1 hour ago, Blueger said:

The problem is that the development fee can put other clubs off signing our youngsters, if they are not going to be part of our first team squad is it not best for them that they are able to move on for free and hopefully get a good move and have a successful career as a professional footballer.

If we sign him up, i’ve no doubt he will be part of the first team squad and we’ll get a good fee for him a few years down the line. As far as i know he just needs some games to get his sharpness back and he’ll be challenging for a place.

1 hour ago, Blueger said:

If you were a parent of a youngster at Auchenhowie you may feel different.

If you followed some recent history you would look at someone like Rhys McCabe who was lauded by Gers fans as being the future of the club... Where is he now after he left Rangers ?  Playing for Sligo Rovers....

Or... even more recent history.... maybe young Burt and his parents could do worse than look at Ross McCrorie... out on loan in the last two seasons and now a big miss being injured.

I know for fact that Liam Burt is very highly thought of within the Academy structure.

Presumably they were just letting him recover from his recent injury and will start signing talks imminently.

Burt uses the same agent as Naismith and Whittaker. Burt looked like a great prospect a couple of seasons ago, I suppose it depends in his injury and how serious it was. Anyway, with Declan and Sean in the side there's space for a Liam now! 

I have faith in decision making on the youth level. We have a bad habit of lionizing youth players who leave. The sad fact is for every club, most players rarely go on to be the players we want them to be. There is an element of bias and living vicariously through the youth players. 

If he's all that, he'll be handed a deal. 

16 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Burt uses the same agent as Naismith and Whittaker. Burt looked like a great prospect a couple of seasons ago, I suppose it depends in his injury and how serious it was. Anyway, with Declan and Sean in the side there's space for a Liam now! 

I'll never get used to that... :D 

Liam Burt is, and has been, regarded highly within the Club. Unless that general consensus has changed, one would expect a new deal to be offered. 

If the youth team (or The Swifts) is to play in a Scottish Division, rather than in a Development League, the context of player development, and progress, is changed.

The new football structure surely is intended to offer a pathway through age groups to 1st XI for talented and committed players.

Quite why any supporter would suggest that the player must leave is puzzling. One could hazard a guess as to the motive. 

Liam.  Declan.  Sean.  Daniel.  Aiden.

It makes me laugh at the thought of Bill and Gonzo cheering these guys on.  I'd love to be sitting with them when they start singing "we love you Declan, we do, oh Declan we love you".  ?